• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seriously looking at lmtv need input please

tburk49760

I may be losing oil there also... for sure it's a crack in the cover though. Plenty visible. Went to check the rear air compressor bracket bolts and much to my surprise, one broken, one missing and one loose as a goose! In the future checking these bolts at every oil change is a must.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went through the same issue last year, the worst part of replacing the cover is the camshaft needs pulled to get the cover off unless you can find a way to pull the cam gear. In order to pull the cam the radiator also needed pulled to get enough clearance. Other than taking some time nothing was too difficult. I would gladly help if closer. If you have any questions let me know.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Getting the gear off may be the easy part. Putting it back on may be a trick if it's a pressed on part. Your going to love your gears when you get them in btw.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In theory the cam gear can be reinstalled by first heating the gear, I didn't want to risk damaging the gear by trying to pull it or with my luck only getting it half way on before it cooled too much to go on so i went ahead and pulled the cam.

Either way the rocker arms and push rods need pulled. At that point the only extra work is pulling the radiator which is attached to the frame with 4 bolts. My mistake was pulling the radiator out the top. Since doing mine I heard the radiator can be dropped out the bottom which should be much easier.

When I reassembled the valve train, I went ahead and resynced the injectors and reset the fuel setting, I am not sure this had to be done but went ahead and did it anyway.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you would be able to get the puller legs around the backside of the gear without sliding the cam out some. Also i doubt the cam would stay in the correct position to get the gear timing marks realigned with the push rod force on the lobes, I picture as soon as the gear is pulled the cam would want to rotate.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks