• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SF-97 in KY

number9

So I got my Bill of Sale and SF-97 from GL today for my Deuce. Now what? Take the paperwork to the Clerks Office to get a title in my name, but do I gotta take the truck as well to have it inspected? Those of you in KY that's been through this, can ya give me some direction.

Thanks.

greenjeepster

You should have gotten a title for the truck from the state of Florida. Kentucky will not accept a SF-97.

The sheriff dept came out to check my trucks vins and charged me 30.00 to do both of them.

There will be a penalty for not transferring the title within 15 days of purchase, but I don't know how much that will be yet.

number9

Yes, I am sorry - I DID get a Bill of Sale and a FL Title.

My truck is in Morgan Co. - about 105 miles away from Scott Co. I hauled it down there when I bought it. Guess I'll have to drive it back up here or the Sheriff will have a long drive :smile: I'll call and ask them on Monday. So far the Scott Co Clerks Office has been a PITA for every transaction I've had with them.

Maybe I will try and title it down there since that is where I'll be keeping it.

greenjeepster

I can't get mine into the garage here for the inspection so they told me to have the sheriff come out or take it to another county. We have found out how different county to county has proven to be, but maybe you can go to another county as well.

Also the sheriff didn't need the title, just a photocopy of it and my drivers License. If you have somebody down where the truck is you can send those two items to you may be able to get the inspection done without moving the truck. They can mail you the inspection back and take it to your local clerk with your title.

JCKnife

Do you get a FL title automatically when you req. an SF-97 or is that additional?

I'm still waiting on my SF-97

mckeeranger

In Montgomery County, I took the SF-97 and they did the transfer. The Sheriff's department did the inspection for $20, If I remember correctly. If you have a Florida Title, that should work too.

jimm1009

My state is not the same as yours but supposedly any police officer is elegible to do the inspection. This should include the local PD in the nearest town or the sherrif or the state police too but your mileage will vary.
I'm not sure if they are allowed to charge for this as this is part of the "Police" services that your taxes pay for but you will have to check on that.
On the other hand, $20 is not too bad especially if you are hot and heavy to get the vechile on the road legally.
Good luck and let us know.
jimm1009

Last edited:

Strykerboy

Yes, I am sorry - I DID get a Bill of Sale and a FL Title.

My truck is in Morgan Co. - about 105 miles away from Scott Co. I hauled it down there when I bought it. Guess I'll have to drive it back up here or the Sheriff will have a long drive :smile: I'll call and ask them on Monday. So far the Scott Co Clerks Office has been a PITA for every transaction I've had with them.

Maybe I will try and title it down there since that is where I'll be keeping it.

well i got the same deal i took the paper work down to the clerks office she started the whole process then she told me to bring the truck to have it inpected did that paid $120$ all done got active duty plates and everything lol!

number9

Got my truck titled today down here in Morgan co. EASY process. Girl in the Sheriff's office walked out and looked at the VIN, asked me to read off the miles and that was it. $5

Went up to the Co Clerk's office and the Co Clerk himself worked with me. I asked him which would be better farm or historic plates and he got out the law book and read a little to be sure of limitations on each - just to be sure there wasn't any he was overlooking and told me to go with historic plates. Everyone was laid back and seemed to enjoy working on a MV title. They thought it was cool as heck. Man I love small towns and small town people. There's NO WAY it would have went that smooth in Scott co - elitist liberal goons there are a PITA. The slightest deviation in the process that will require them getting their arse unglued from their chair and they'll shut you down and that's it.

greenjeepster

I have made countless trips to Fayette county clerk. One of my titles is wrong so that has to go back to florida. The other I am waiting for GL to fill out the KY title application because Fayette will not accept the bill of sale or price on the title as the price payed... The retail value for tax purposes is $12.000 without using the actual sale price. :confused:

Maybe i should go to Clark county:)

mckeeranger

I have made countless trips to Fayette county clerk. One of my titles is wrong so that has to go back to florida. The other I am waiting for GL to fill out the KY title application because Fayette will not accept the bill of sale or price on the title as the price payed... The retail value for tax purposes is $12.000 without using the actual sale price. :confused:

Maybe i should go to Clark county:)
The process here in Montgomery County sounds like the same as number9 went through in Morgan County. It is usually quick and painless.

greenjeepster, the only way I know to get around them trying to use some worthless chart for your sales tax is to use this form:

http://mvl.ky.gov/MVLWeb/pdf/71a100.pdf

The problem is, I don't know how you will get the "seller" section filled in and signed. There may be a way to appeal the amount on the chart they use, but I have no idea if there is, or what it is.

jimm1009

I think that when they say "we don't accept a SF-97" then they do not actually know the rules and actually know what they are talking about in full detail.
The SF-97 is a form established by the US Federal Government.
They have to accept it as the certificate of origin in order to establish the first civilian title since there are no titles existing until your or the first civilian ownership is made.
Each state is required to accept a form used by the federal government but they may require supplemental forms or information too.
I would send a certified letter to the state OMV or DMV office and get it from them or take some time and actually go to see them. Take all the paperwork and the data plate (or truck) too.
The SF-97 and bill of sale are what the LEO should use to verify the VIN unless you are in a state that must have an actual title generated up front.
I guess that Kentucky is one if everyone in Kentucky receives a Florida title rather than the usual SF-97.
I guess the long-winded point that I'm trying to make is that many local offices for the OMV or DMV do not acutally have the full education required for their job to perform it to the best of their abilities.
Personally I would not stop just because they say "we don't do it like that".
Climb the food chain until you get to the big boss that actually is aware of the rules and procedures established by the law of your state.
If any ones needs help with an request for SF-97 there are several that can help or advise. One wrong letter or a simple mis-spelling can get you to the bottom of the stack and another long wait. Double and triple check and then have someone else read it too. This will ease the pain during the wait.
Read your -10 a few times to learn about your ride and it will come in good time.
And above all else, THINK O.D. GREEN my fellow MV brothers and sisters! :smile:
:driver: jimm1009

mckeeranger

I think that when they say "we don't accept a SF-97" then they do not actually know the rules and actually know what they are talking about in full detail.
That is probably a good part of the problem.

I have only had one SF-97. We bought a '99 Dodge 4x4 at a USFS auction, about 4 years ago. They gave me an SF-97 (on the spot and for free, I might add) When I took it to the Montgomery County Clerk's office, the person waiting on me looked at it and asked what it was. I just told her "I don't know, they gave it to me when I paid for the truck." She asked the CC about it and she just glanced at it and said "It just means the car hasn't had a title yet. Run it through as a transfer." That was it. I figured "just" means it's no big deal.

In a little defense of Fayette County, I was at their CC office once and was standing in a line of about 20 people. If every title had taken an extra 2 minutes to figure out, that would have been an extra 40 minute wait for the guy in the back of the line. I guess instead of doing that, they just reject anything that's not "perfect".

On the other hand, working with the health department in Fayette County is an absolute nightmare. Maybe it is just the LFUCG. ( Lexington Fayette Urban County Government )

number9

The process here in Montgomery County sounds like the same as number9 went through in Morgan County. It is usually quick and painless.

greenjeepster, the only way I know to get around them trying to use some worthless chart for your sales tax is to use this form:

http://mvl.ky.gov/MVLWeb/pdf/71a100.pdf

The problem is, I don't know how you will get the "seller" section filled in and signed. There may be a way to appeal the amount on the chart they use, but I have no idea if there is, or what it is.
If that is the VTR form then yes, you need one of those filled out. The Co Clerk here filled mine out and said he thought with a government sale was the ONLY time they don't require the sellers part to be filled out - that info is what GL gives you on the Bill of Sale. He called someone to confirm and stressed to them that this was a govermnent sale and they confirmed he was correct.

Sorry to hear you are having that trouble Brad. If you have an address in another county you can use, that may something to think about. It's hard to win against mindless goons who have the attitude that THEY are the gov and you will do as THEY say instead of representing the people that put them in that office and actually putting forth effort to help you win.

Let us know how it goes.

greenjeepster

GL is mailing back the title application on Monday so I should be set on the one truck... The other I have to wait for a corrected title.

Fayette County told me that Frankfort will bounce that other form back because the seller is a private contractor. Technically we are the second owner of said vehicle because GL legally bought it from the government first.

Motor vehicle is one things about this state I hate.. Why can't the clerks hand it over to the DMV like normal states do? That way at least the person at the counter knows what can and cannot be done. It is such a PITA.

I have called Frankfort title office and my opinion on it is that they really don't care too much as long as they get the money for the taxes. It is the County cCerk that makes it such a hassle.

jimm1009

I feel your pain. I don't live in Kentucky but was born across the river in Evansville so I am aware of title problems in other states.
I volunteered to wright an information letter for the state of Indiana while I was still there to help the county offices deal with and more fully understand the rules on titleing former MV's.
I went to Indianapolis by appointment and talked with one of the big wigs there and while they appreciated the offer they would not nentertain the idea of a non-state worker doing something for them.
I even told them I 'd give it to the supervisor in Microsoft Word form and they could edit it and transplant it on to their government letter head.
A little disappointing to have to deal with some people in the state goverment to say the least.
I know that it is a royal PITA but how about a trip to Frankfort by appointment
and talk with the big boss or the office supervisor with all your paperwork in hand.
Just an idea but it would probably work. You could probably get your title in your hand by the end of the day since you are in the Main Office.
My 1.7 cents worth but it can cost as little as a telephone call or e-mail to find out.
Good luck brother MV owner and let us know how things work out.

On a pesonal note I've contemplated moving to the Bluegrass State recently so I may have a personal interest & similar conflicts in the next year or so myself. :-D
Jimm1009

JCKnife

greenjeepster, is this the form that GL is filling out for you? http://www.hccoky.org/pdf/vtr.pdf

Any additional cost for them to do that?

I guess it has to be notarized and everything?

Local county clerk told me this wouldn't be necessary if I went with historic plates (I guess we can see that we all get a different story from the local county clerk, though).

greenjeepster

greenjeepster, is this the form that GL is filling out for you? http://www.hccoky.org/pdf/vtr.pdf

Any additional cost for them to do that?

I guess it has to be notarized and everything?

Local county clerk told me this wouldn't be necessary if I went with historic plates (I guess we can see that we all get a different story from the local county clerk, though).
Yes that is the form. The inspection section needs to be done first and then fax to GL and they fill in the sale price, notarize and mail it back.

Then both copies (the original that has the inspection on it and the copy with the price from GL) need to go back to the clerk.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks