• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

She saved my life

rickf

that hole load was below the bed rails nothing was sticking up , The truck was squatting when sitting flat, and if you think I was going faster than 35 get me a m1008 I still have the scrap here and you can drive up the hill I just came up loaded. And look the frames look different to me. primed frame is a one ton frame.
I did not say that to start an argument, maybe you were doing 35 and the weight you were carrying caused the damage. I am not there to say. If it was squatting you must have had at least 3 tons in it. I run a 1 1/2 yard spreader in one and it does not squat with a full load of salt, that is 6,000 lbs. in the back. Trust me, the trucks are the same as a civvie truck, they are actually a civvie truck with the pintle and tie downs added on. There are a couple of other oddball things to fit the military contract but nothing heavy duty. A fuel tank drain and oil sample port and the goofy electrical system. The only heavy duty item added to the truck is the 5/4 ton rear springs.

msoumas

2 loads of logs, second from last log, a 24"x10' oak log tipped of the forks(I had just greased the bar they slide on), and the momentum of turning and stopping allowed the forks to slide and the log to slide/tip off. It hit butt end down and tipped into the window with the other end.

I should have secured the forks(or not greased them) and I should not swing with the direction of momentum toward the truck cab. I should have moved slower.

I spent the whole day yesterday, replacing the door with a crappy door I had on a parts truck(and I'll need to replace it again cause it is a really crappy door, but it closes and has glass now).

Lesson learned, and I was very lucky(I didn't get hurt or do more damage).

Sorry for the momentary hijack.
Might I suggest a little forklift safety video?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVssz2VMJVM[/media]

English subtitles, but... very educational. [thumbzup]

Coal Cracker

Its like hi let's have everyone remind how you messed up over and over.

What do you expect when you post somthing like this in a public forum, you are going to get alot of diffrent comments, differing opinions etc.

If you do not like comments wether they be good or bad , maybe posting in a public forum might not be a good idea.

GM-M1008

Oh I would Like to add one more thing then I am done. Did any of you think about part of a hydro hose having a flapper in it that just now decide it was going to brake free and block the line? or what about an object in the bottom of the power steering box or pump or hydro assist for the brakes move and block a port? You can not and will not be able to check these things in pre trip. Every thing in the hydro system is being taken off and pressure checked to see what went wrong by the same person the inspected it. Pre trip wouldn't have let me know if the pump was going to fail ether the truck had no leaks besides for the rear main seal in the motor and had new belts on it. What I cant fix on it is fixed by an ex military mechanic( He deadlined every thing at fort Indian town gap back in the 80s if that says anything) Thats all I have to say for now, I will let you guys know what the problem is once every thing is checked.

Zero_cool

Wow Im glad you guys are ok !!
Damm good thing nobody was sitting in the middle of your rig!!

I crashed my 2004 GMC a while back , 70 mph jumped the ditch and hit a big *** bolder.
Still recovering.

I thought my truck was bad but if thats what a cucv looks like after a 35 mph hit that makes me nervous driving mine now.

PS.
I was never that much into the whole going to church thing....
After i totaled my truck theres not a sunday that goes by that Im not in the front row.
God was deffinetly with you on that run!

Dan

89m1007

WOW, seems everyone's jumping on GM-1008

he did say his truck had sat a week and he DID the usual underhood preinspection (lot more than folks who drive civi ever do)

his belt let loose

empty brake cylinder? MAYBE, but as was said, NO WAY it was empty and the rear brakes work AT ALL - so there is some question there.

losing both steering and brakes - yeah, he threw a belt - WHAT, NONE OF YOU HAVE EVER THROWN A BELT? Even a well maintained or even NEW belt? I have. I'm meticulous on my trucks...

STUFF HAPPENS

he survived BECAUSE he was driving a MV, not the other way around - and guess what? My OTHER truck is a 1991 GMC Suburban (same body style as CUCV's) and it's pretty much the only body style I've owned for the past twenty years.

this particular design is one of GM's best and this wreck is but one example

glad you are OK

you folks need to really light up a little bit, he didn't have to come here and say anything and I truly do NOT think he deserved all the rough handling

but that's just my .02

I've spent my time on the side of the road cursing a brand new belt that flipped and then threw itself off my truck - so come on, give the guy a break
I agree 100% I broke A 2 MONTH old belt in my 1009 the other day im just lucky that this did not happen

Cucvnut

Im sure ill catch some grief but I don't think "god" had anythingto do with his truck. It was built and designed well and that's all that matters. Im tired of people saying its his fault. He could not have see It coming. Its an accident plane and simple.

Last edited:

WARWAG

This is pretty funny. Everyone says he should have done a PM prior to driving? Not likely and no need to do it EVERYtime. It wouldnt be a dailey driver for most of us if we had to do that. My brand new (then) 2009 Chevy 1 ton work truck lost its brakes and steering when I was comming down into Jackson Hole Wyoming towing a backhoe on a 12% grade. The funny thing was I just had the oil changed at the dealer. Some how from then and a few hundred miles later the stainless steel line that goes to the Power steering unit developed a leak and at the worst possible moment I lost all the things you need to safely drive a vehicle. No steering and no brakes suck. I had a run away ramp to go into so I was lucky. If not I would have put her into the gaurd rail to slowly grind to a stop. Just chalk it up as to "Sh!t happens". He was lucky and thats that.

Glad you made it out alive.

Last edited: