• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sherwin Williams CARC paint Type 2

CliffW

Has anyone used the new Sherwin Williams CARC paint Type 2 yet? I’m going to repaint the deuce real soon and was wondering. Should I after doing the little bodywork that needs to be done should I prime the whole truck or just the areas that I’m fixing? Before priming it should I spray it down with purple stuff the hit it with the presser washer to remove any dirt and oils?

New Waterborne CARC Coating From Sherwin-Williams Offers Superior Durability, Low VOCs

Advantages include excellent film build so less coating material is used

(CLEVELAND - September 5, 2006) - New from Sherwin-Williams Chemical Coatings is a new generation of waterborne CARC coatings, Sherwin-Williams MIL-DTL-64159 Type II Waterborne CARC for use by the military and defense industry. The two-component waterborne polyurethane coating offers superior exterior durability compared to previous CARC coatings, lower VOCs (1.8 pounds per gallon) and a long wet edge that eliminates dry spray. In addition, the coating provides excellent film build, using up to 30% less coating resulting in material savings.

MIL-DTL-64159 Type II Waterborne CARC has less odor and is compatible with electrostatic application. It is non-flammable and provides a durable, flexible finish with longer exterior durability when compared to other CARC coatings. MIL-DTL-64159 Type II Waterborne CARC meets the strict requirements of the U.S. armed forces and is listed on the Qualified Products List (Q.P.L.) published by the Army Research Lab.

The Sherwin-Williams Chemical Coatings Division, with more than 140 years of experience in products finishing technology, serves the chemical coatings market through a North American network of company-owned locations and with expanding global reach. Sherwin-Williams broad line of low-VOC coatings, full range of technical support and just-in-time distribution capabilities allows finishers to specify quality coatings with the assurance of regulatory compliance. For a better finish.

Attachments

Green_gator

Cliff,
I should be able to give you an idea how it works very soon. My local Sherwin-Williams store carries it in stock along with the primer and I am planning on painting my M109 before the Georgia Rally. It is not cheap but with no shipping or hazardous material extra cost it is competitive with the CARC substitutes from Rapco.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Sherwin Williams CARC paint Type 2

Green_gator said:
Cliff,
It is not cheap but with no shipping or hazardous material extra cost it is competitive with the CARC substitutes from Rapco.

And the Rapco/Gillespie CARC substitutes do not look anything at all like CARC (imho).

2027Deuce

RE: Re: RE: Sherwin Williams CARC paint Type 2

I used it and it was great paint. CARC is in my opinion more difficult to use, but this stuff from Sherwin Williams was pretty nice.

CliffW

Re: RE: Sherwin Williams CARC paint Type 2

clinto said:
Green_gator said:
Cliff,
It is not cheap but with no shipping or hazardous material extra cost it is competitive with the CARC substitutes from Rapco.

And the Rapco/Gillespie CARC substitutes do not look anything at all like CARC (imho).
I agree. I talked to the SW Rep in orlando and he was saying that the new stuff was better and easier to use.

CliffW

Re: RE: Re: RE: Sherwin Williams CARC paint Type 2

ida34 said:
What was the price?
$70 a gallon it was less per gallon if you bought it buy the 5 gallon bucket.
How much will it take to cover the whole truck in one color?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Sherwin Williams CARC paint Type 2

So will any S-W dealer sell this stuff to the general public? I can never remember what the story is........

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have used a ton of it re-doing my deuce. I am very happy with it and how easy it is to use and spray. I just bought another couple gallons to repaint my M105 trailer. The 383 green is awsome. The 686 tan gets dirty easily but otherwise great stuff.

Very easy to apply for a guy who has NEVER used a paint gun before.

El_Guapo

Clinto, in Atlanta the only SW that carries it is the chemical coatings‎ store on North Ave. (404) 873-6723‎. They were willing to sell it to me but I always introduce my self to shopkeepers using my company's name.

Green_gator

Clinto,
My guy here in Tampa did not seem to have any problems with selling it to me. If it is a problem for you in Georgia let me know and I can always grab a couple of gallons and deliver to you at the Georgia rally.

ida34

I have been doing research and it seems like we are talking about at least two different CARC paints. The one I called about is described below and is not waterborne. It is a single component paint. It needs reducer to spray but that is it. Cleanup is with the standard VOC type products such as Zylene.

3.5 VOC single component moisture cure aliphatic polyurethane camouflage chemical agent resistant coating (CARC) for military equipment. They conform to MIL_DTL-53039B, Type 1 composition and performance specification. They can effectively be decontaminated after exposure to liquid chemical agents.

What the thread was started about is the waterborne CARC. It is sold by color as an A component. It will not dry by itself and requires you to buy a component B to mix with it. It is then reduced with distilled water and cleanup is with water. The description is below.

(KIT REQUIRES 2 UNITS PART A F93G501 to 1 UNIT PART B V93V502 BY VOLUME) Are two component waterborne polyurethane chemical agent resistant coatings (CARC) for military equipment. They meet the performance and composition of the MIL-DTL-64159 Type I specification. VOC of less than 1.55 lb/gal. Less than 1.07 lb/gal Volatile Organic Emissions. Reduces with water means considerable cost savings in solvents. Low Odor. Excellent atomization. Smooth finish versus standard CARC. May be applied with two component equipment. Free of lead and chromate hazards. May be applied at minimum dry film thickness.

My question is, has anyone used the waterborne or are all the comments on the VOC based CARC. Please post your comments with listing what type you used. Looking the literature over, the waterborne CARC does not seem to give the sandpaper like texture that the old CARC gave. They comment that the paint is smoother then the old VOC CARC. Comments please.

ida34

Looking back through posts it looks like bigmike used waterborne CARC.

Cliff,
Did your quote include the B component or only the A component (this is the color component).

Thanks
Chuck

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You need 2 parts component A, 1 part component B and 1/2 part de-ionized water.

BTW,
The prices have gone up alot!

I paid almost 50% more per gallon than I did a year ago.

CliffW

how much paint do I need?

I have taken the last week in November off to paint the deuce. I have never painted a vehicle before so I'm not sure how much paint it will take for a full inside and out job. I will be doing a three color camo so how much green, brown and black do I need.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Jakelc15

I know some of you have repainted your trucks, and I am looking to do the same. So what's a good amount to buy to cover an entire m35a2 with one color of primer and carc?:?:

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know some of you have repainted your trucks, and I am looking to do the same. So what's a good amount to buy to cover an entire m35a2 with one color of primer and carc?:?:
I think I used about 5-6 gallons on my truck. Mind you, I tore my truck done pretty far so many parts were painted front, back etc. I also painted inside, outside, underhood, bed etc.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=12521&highlight=shot+CARC+todayhttp://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=10915&highlight=shot+CARC+today

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks