• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shop van...rv?

wolfmangk

Has anyone ever made their shop van into an rv type situation? I kinda want to enclose the bed of my M35... Where can I get the enclosed box item that replaces the bed?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
For the amount you will pay for a electrical box for the back of the M35 you most likely buy a M109 deuce that already has the box. The electrical boxes are currently going very high, and the M109s are going a bit cheaper then the M35 these days. I don't know how much shows up in Ca. though.

deuceman51

Awhile ago there was an M109 shop van on GL that was converted by the military for a generals quarters. Soldier of Fortune had a great article a few years ago about the "Y2K war wagon". They took an M36 chasis and found a commo van body that was longer than the M109 body and made a really nice MV camper out of it. I will have to look and see if I can find the backissue that has it. It has been done though by many people.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen one National Guard truck that had a cargo bows raised about 1FT higher than normal, and a "tool shed" built inside, and the canvas covering it with some space at the sides. Did not get a good look at it but it was big enough to walk around in. The holy grail is of course a shower/toilet, which is about impossible with a shelter unless the drains come out the back.. good for tailgaters..

DavidB

I have a S280 shelter in my deuce.It is in Military Vehicles magazine issue 96, truck on cover also mine .Several of us around here have gone this route to still have cargo trucks when wanted.Shelters are cheaper than trucks around here, and don't need insurance or a seperate parking spot. The M36a2 seventeen foot body can be changed out with the seventeen foot long expandable semi-trailer body if you want alot of room.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats funny Wayne, I just posted about you're M448 in another thread. I hope some day to have too much time on my hands so that I can build a camper like that.

wolfmangk

Re: Charlie's Truck

papercu said:
Now on the hand....A guy I sold sold some parts to sent me pictures of his rig. Wayne

http://ImageEvent.com/wharris19/militarytrucks/vehicles/exmilitarytrucks/charliestruck
OK I have goosebumps just looking at this thing... I aplologize, I don't know the terminology "M109" etc... Is that box ont he back of the above truck the standard military box he modified? If so, my hat goes off to him that is my ideal setup, that is amazing... Just watch, a shower and toilet I will have! How much do the boxes cost, and what's the difference between the M35 and the M109?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Charlie

Is that box ont he back of the above truck the standard military box he modified?
It appears to be 100% homemade.

The camper box is my own design and is framed with inch and a half square steel tubing. Inside are solid oak cabinets, 10' long countertop, big sink, big fridge, stove, oven, stereo (with outdoor speakers) bathroom, etc.
From his own description

wolfmangk

That second link for the officers van is amazing, that si exactly what I have in mind, that is so sweet I can't believe it! What is this about the electrical box? I can't get these from a scrapyard... you mean there's a generator transfer switch assembly? And thanks for the M109 description.. I looked it up and it is for a self powered howitzer but that's OK.

papercu

RV

It just that most of us wouldn't think twice about referring to them as M109s. But to be correct there are three with van bodies. The number after the"A" could be a 2 or 3 depending the upgrade.
Then also are the shelters that will sit in the back of the cargo trucks, so you have lots of choices.
Take a look over at the TM in the Tech section, lots of reading there for you the manuals should be listed as 9-2320-209-xx or 9-2320-361-xx. Wayne

Truck, Van, Shop, M109A3
Truck, Van, Repair, M185A3
Truck, Van, Expansible. M292

area52

RE: RV

I don't know about the M109A3 or the M185A3, but the M292A2 has a "plug" on the back for a generator to hook up to which allows you to power the van body through an electrical junction box.

My truck has an area for an A/C unit and two diesel burning heaters.

I vote for the M292A2!!! :D