• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shop van...rv?

Opie

Re: RE: RV

area52 said:
I don't know about the M109A3 or the M185A3, but the M292A2 has a "plug" on the back for a generator to hook up to which allows you to power the van body through an electrical junction box.
This is also true on the M109 box which I have.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Alaska truck looks good, you can't even tell it's not Military (wink).
Only problem with the M292 is it's a very heavy truck. Neat but heavy. There is one more choice though. A stripped out water purification truck. I think that would be the coolest body of them all. Rattlehead has a nice one.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like those pics Chris - would make a heckuva camping flatform, lots of space to put things in! Just have to find or make rear doors.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get doors from Winslow. You can get the whole body from Winslow. I saw several bodys out to pasture.

jeli

steelsoldiers said:
It may be coming up on GL at an undisclosed location ;) The last ones went for 3-4k I believe. That's a LOT of truck for 4k!
Two others that looked to be in great shape went for $5K and $8K. Hang some 52's on it, able to do 65 mph.

Opie

After looking at Wallas and Dickinson diesel stoves and cooktops for boats, I realized my MSR Dragonfly backpacking stove runs on diesel too...

$1K vs. $125 = no brainer (and fuel consistency to boot!)

Armada

My Bad, didn't realize there was a second page to this thread and that the 820 was already mentioned by Chris. Gets my vote though.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
papercu, do you have any pics of the inside of that m488 trailor? Is it the same size as a M105?

nattieleather

RE: RV

Problem with the expandable bodies is if you look at the last pic the line down the middle of the body where you have the light green and the dark gray are the celing and floor when the thing is open up. So you don't really have all that much room for the camper gear unless you plan on moving it into the middle when you travel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The M448 is the same general size as the M105. The chassis is the same. The lower part of the sides opens up as a workbench of sorts. The top part is rigid. Very neat trailers for sure.

Opie

It seems a shame the expansible bodies don't work like recreatiional vehicles and have a "slide out" function where the floor, wall and roof form and open box that simply bumps out the side.

Elwenil

I had planned out a nice layout for an RV in a 5 ton expansible body when I was drooling over Tom's 8x8. Basically I had a center island that was the kitchen area on one side and what amounted to a sort of entertainment center and cabinets on the other. Beds were basically folding military style cots that could be moved to the outside expansion areas. I was going to rig some sort of curtain partition to separate one side into "rooms" if privacy was needed. And no, no bathroom, lol.

rmgill

I expect if you were good with woodworking or metal fab, you could come up with some furniture that would be two sided and work when it was folded up on it's side AND when the expandable side was folded out for full use. Basically think of galley tables and beds that convert. Same idea, except when you fold the sides out, the sofa tilts over 90° to make a larger surface or the like.

area52

I was thinking of putting cabinets and furniture on "rails" that are on the floorand fold down sides also. When the sides expand, the rails line up and the items can slide out to the side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks