• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shopping for a snatch block

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A shackle is what your lift shackles are, the rears are the type your looking for, only instead of a retaining pin, you went either a pin that goes though one side and threads into the other side, this is called a screw pin style of shackle, the other type of shackle is a 4 part safety shackle, it has a special bolt that goes though both sides of the shackle with a nut that goes on it and a carter pin that locks the nut to the bolt.

If you get a shackle for this , get one that will just fit the end, this has to take the total load of the 4 parts,
example if you have a SINGLE line pull of #2500, the load on the EYE and SHACKLE is #10000

DO NOT BUY A MADE IN CHINA SHACKLE

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is this the type of shackle you're talking about?
Might have trouble loading for some reason. IT's a small file.
that is like a lift shackle, where it goes though the shackle instead of a carter pin there is a nut with a carter pin, this set up takes the side ware off the carter pin and keeps the shackle from spreding under load

3dAngus

I see. You mean it takes the side load off, because the screw thread is reinforced by the nut holding it in place, where this one has no side support, but only the cotter pin, which does nothing but keep the pin from falling out.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
YEP, THATS IT, works the same with the screw pin shackle, only this is a 2 part unit. each type has there uses, the 4 part is for overhead work and is safer, the pin cant walk out or pulled TIGHT like a 2 part can if it is rigged wrong

On a 4 part (safty) shackle, the bolt only has threads for the nut outside the shackle, its a smooth shank between the sides

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd like to be able to use this with a winch, but can't foresee many occasions when I might need to have a double-pulley attached to my bumper. Much more likely that I'll just use one pulley attached to whatever I'm pulling from. Would also like to hang it from the gin-poles I'm building out of my tow-bars though. Got an extra set of towbar legs that I'm going to cut-up to extend my towbar, and I'm planning on making some type of simple bracket that will attach to the lunette-eye, that I can hang a snatch-block from. If there's a better snatch-block to use for the applications I've got in mind, I wouldn't mind trading with someone that could use the one I've got.

HEH, kinda funny I'm not the one with a full PM box! Jesse, your PM box is full.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that double block looks like the ones for the wrecker rear winch.. it came with a elongated shackle . i can post a pic if needed... weights in around 125 lbs.. way to big for the duece winch but usable and practically no one wants one. i need to get all the different blocks out and take a group pic of them

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Still would look nice hanging off of MY m819 wrecker

Last edited: