• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shopping for a snatch block

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that would do nicely on any 4 wheeler. or maybe a small import truck i have seen some nice snatch blocks for a duece and 5 ton for 75.00 i even have one for sale but im way down south to you

scrapman

Champion/Harbor Freight I have had their winches & associated accessories side by side and can tell you it is the same stuff. I was buying it wholesale in lots for resale.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I agree w/ Tim. That is meant for jeeps etc. The block might survive being used with a deuce winch, but that sheave is too small and would very likely damage you winchline.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rizzo and I talked about the Coleman's shatch blocks awhile back. A deuce winch is rated for 10,000 single line pull. If you use a snatch block you should be able to double your pulling force which would be 20,000lb. Now the snatch block is rated at 5 tons (10,000lbs). I'm pretty sure that the block Coleman's sells is the correct block though. We never came up with an answer to the 5-ton rating. Anybody know?

Jake0147

That snatch block will safely turn back the cable (double the line pull) on an electric "off road" winch that is rated at 8000 pounds by the "rolling loads" method. If you have installed such a winch, it'll work fine. If you have the deuce winch on your deuce, I would continue shopping...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shatch block in question does look heavy enough for the deuce and looks like, if not the exact same block, as issued by the military for the deuce. The 5 ton rating is what's throwing me off though. Maybe that's the overhead lifting rating which would be less than the pull rating. I don't know.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the 5ton snatch block i am referring to is the one for a 5 ton. its 24 inches long.. weighs in at around 65 lbs. takes a 3/4 cable. most likely rated at 40,000 lbs i had bought a pallet of them and down to just a couple left

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would guess it's like the deuces load carrying capabilities-very under rated. I am betting the 5 ton capacity of that snatch block will take twice that.

123mack

The BII list in back of the -10 for the M35 gives a NSN of 3940-00-111-6693 for the snatch block. The description reads: BLOCK, snatch, 1/2 inch diameter wire rope, single 6 in. sheave, w/ swivel hook, 5 ton safe working load. FSCM 19207 part number 11631700

aboonski

You can even convert a deuce into a crane once you have a snatch block. Some of the TMs show how to do it. I am thinking about using my medium towbar with my 5 ton snatchblock to fabricate a crane just for the purpose of moving a few Chevy small blocks around the yard. The trick will be finding a way to brace the towbar for this application. Once I figure it out I'll post photos accordingly. The snatch block I have is actually made for the larger sized wire rope but will work for the 1/2" stuff.

dentman

You can even convert a deuce into a crane once you have a snatch block. Some of the TMs show how to do it. I am thinking about using my medium towbar with my 5 ton snatchblock to fabricate a crane just for the purpose of moving a few Chevy small blocks around the yard. The trick will be finding a way to brace the towbar for this application. Once I figure it out I'll post photos accordingly. The snatch block I have is actually made for the larger sized wire rope but will work for the 1/2" stuff.

heavily covered here
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/30688-gin-poles-finished.html

but im also interested in a gin pole setup so do keep us posted :-D

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
was this what you guys were pondering?

Rizzo and I talked about the Coleman's shatch blocks awhile back. A deuce winch is rated for 10,000 single line pull. If you use a snatch block you should be able to double your pulling force which would be 20,000lb. Now the snatch block is rated at 5 tons (10,000lbs). I'm pretty sure that the block Coleman's sells is the correct block though. We never came up with an answer to the 5-ton rating. Anybody know?
There's a great TM on winching somewhere that 'splained this to me, so here is my understanding:

If the winch makes 10,000# on a straight pull, then the snatch block, taking the place of the anchor point will then receive the 10,000# pull.

It's when you connect the cable hook back to the truck through the snatch block that you achieve doubling at the truck.

I see a possible point of confusion: If the snatch block is called a 5 ton, some of y'all may think the block is for the larger truck known as a 5 ton. Should be no confusion on this: 5 ton in this instance means 11,000#.

That Coleman block appears rated correctly and is very reasonably priced. Think I'll get me one!

Rick

Last edited:

emr

I have deuce 6 inch correct snatch blocks in NJ for like new 35 also, very nice never used for 45 all factory paint on em...5 tonners 8 inch for 60...if one wants to say they are rating 6 inch for a deuce or a 5 ton trucks 8 inch snatch block and saying it is not enough for said truck is mistaken . they are the way one sizes a snatch block, the wheel length and cable width. personally I would not use anything but the official military surplus snatch blocks, it is just way to dangerous, ...Randy

scooter01922

The BII list in back of the -10 for the M35 gives a NSN of 3940-00-111-6693 for the snatch block. The description reads: BLOCK, snatch, 1/2 inch diameter wire rope, single 6 in. sheave, w/ swivel hook, 5 ton safe working load. FSCM 19207 part number 11631700

And that appears to be what colemans has. I wasn't too concerned with the whole 5 ton thing anyway. Got it mostly for 2 part line action with the 108. Its rated for 8k lbs so i'm figuring i'm well within safe on that snatch block. I think the data plate wants 2 part line on anything over 5k or something.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
After seeing George's little block pull 2 deuces backward at haspin and not break, I doubt the Coleman's blocks would even break a sweat. Scooter, since you have yours, does the sheath pin have a grease zerk on it? I got 2 similar blicks from Sermis. Also, if you want a "correct" hook for your crane, I might have one.