• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

shopping for a snatch block

scooter01922

I believe it does have a zerk, although to be honest i haven't really paid it much attention since i picked it up at aberdeen. Its in the back of the deuce, i'll look at it tomorrow and take a few pics at different angles for anyone interested. I keep hearing of this fabeled "correct" crane hook, kinda interested to see what the heck the darned thing looks like as compared to whats on there. I could certainly be interested, but then again maybe i should get the darned truck home before i buy it anymore stuff.:roll:

performanceauto89

Snatch Block Decisions?

I work in industrial maint, dealing with cranes and rigging all the time. Don't rely on the "safety factor" certified lifting stuff is always the best. I do alot of tree trimming, removal, ect. All of my cables are crane cables, snatch blocks 8 ton ratings, ect. OVERKILL!!!!
Look at it this way. Spend the money upfront and go way more than what you actually need, that way you will never ever have doubt in it. Other wise go cheap and put the extra money you saved towards your medical insurance deductable.
Or another way, is pick out the stuff that no matter who run it still can't mess it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You shouldn't ever have to run and hide when doing rigging of any type. Bigger is better, that is why we all own the big military rigs right?

GoHot229

I have found that products on the most part from China are rated at a specific PSI or burst strength, and that what we are used to in the US is things that have a weight rating for as an example: say rated for 1,000lbs. which can be stressed mabe a third to double of the rating beyond listed capadity to say 1,333 lbs. to 2,000 lbs. and still not fail but be at the outside edge of capacity beyond the 1,000 lbs. Chinese on the other hand do NOT have their ratings the same with a margin of safety, and if its rated at 1,000 lbs you can be sure that the margin is only fifty to a hundred lbs. at most, but likely at the 1,000 lbs. and NO further!!!!! Their not of the persuasion of making it stronger than need be or having any reserve. Another thing that falls far inferior to US made parts are the bolts that are used. Where a plain Jane piece made in the US here usually has a *grade 5 or so bolt, the Chinese will use a grade whatever or 'no grade' and call it good. Often times Chinese bolts are for all practical purposes a ONE TIME bolt as when you remove it, it will show signs of scoring, burring and thread deformity, and often times be too suspect to use a second time as evedinced by your visual examination.......you'll see for yourself, SO, I too was looking at the same Tractor Supply block wondering the rating and burst strength of it. My guess is that the body is FAIR as well as the U-pully, but that the likely culprit in a failure would be in the bearing/bushing or the bolt. FOR SURE, I would change the bolt and ny-loc with a *grade five bolt and hope for the best with the body holding togather. The other area of concern is ofcourse the attatching loop, it looks JUST marginal. Yea it has a spiffy looking bolt, but ...... A good test to do to determine the integrity of the body is to hold it on end and hit the edge of the flat plate with a ball-peen hammer and observe if the impact caused any deformation of the edge (FLATTENING) where it was impacted as steel usually does. And if it unduely (DENTED) then realistically would rate it as safely capable of two thirds of its advertised capacity. Honestly, they look good and appear to be substantial, but in my eyes are suspect as to actual strength and ratings. Which is 16,000 lbs. I guess the bottom line with the T S snatch block is that it 'LOOKS" good, but I think we all know its Chinese cheese and wish it were built of higher quality steel, but they have only got to quality control in recent years, mabe the next evolution or phase of the Chineese industrial revolution will be QUALITY. Looking online I found two manufacturers or retailers of Snatch blocksThe first by a Co. called 'Gunibo' with blocks from 3 to 30 ton ratings. And a more well known brand by all, WARN. I'm sure there are several that Warn sell, but this particular example was a 19.000 lb. unit @ around $88.00 Compare the plate of TS (black) and the Warn (gold) and theres a considerable amount of metal in the hole area, far less likely to be the area likely to fail. The three pictured in red are Gunibo, but the single one in red is another example from
WARN and rated at 24-36,000 lbs. The pictured single 'red' Warn has my attention, not sure of the price, but think it is the logical choice, as snatch blocks usually are needed in dire circumstances as a rule, and this looks like it would have plenty of reserve strength-wise.

Attachments

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do like the greater part...........

Everything I own is heavy enough to crush me (except for my push mower) and I prefer at least 3 times whatever I need for a safety factor and go higher if possible. I have grown too fond of my limbs and digits to go with anything less.

After seeing a car fall on a guy when I was a kid it sort of taught me a valuable lesson. He lieved but his foot was never the same.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a great TM on winching somewhere that 'splained this to me, so here is my understanding:

If the winch makes 10,000# on a straight pull, then the snatch block, taking the place of the anchor point will then receive the 10,000# pull.

It's when you connect the cable hook back to the truck through the snatch block that you achieve doubling at the truck.

I see a possible point of confusion: If the snatch block is called a 5 ton, some of y'all may think the block is for the larger truck known as a 5 ton. Should be no confusion on this: 5 ton in this instance means 11,000#.

Rick
I would like to see that TM because the info is wrong. Whenever you use a shatch block (even to just change direction) there is double the line pull on the snatch block hook. If you use the logic you explained you would be able to pull yourself out with 20,000lbs. of force but would only be able to pull someone else with 10,000lbs. There is the same amount of force on both ends.

Last time I checked 5 ton=10,000lbs.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I would like to see that TM because the info is wrong. Whenever you use a shatch block (even to just change direction) there is double the line pull on the snatch block hook.
I disagree, unless there is a two (or greater) part line the block provides no mechanical advantage. So the hook will only be subjected to whatever force the winch is capable of.

rizzo

Rizzo and I talked about the Coleman's shatch blocks awhile back. A deuce winch is rated for 10,000 single line pull. If you use a snatch block you should be able to double your pulling force which would be 20,000lb. Now the snatch block is rated at 5 tons (10,000lbs). I'm pretty sure that the block Coleman's sells is the correct block though. We never came up with an answer to the 5-ton rating. Anybody know?
I think they put the line pull rating on it so there is no confusion between wich block to use. simple stupid.

rizzo

I work in industrial maint, dealing with cranes and rigging all the time. Don't rely on the "safety factor" certified lifting stuff is always the best. I do alot of tree trimming, removal, ect. All of my cables are crane cables, snatch blocks 8 ton ratings, ect. OVERKILL!!!!
Look at it this way. Spend the money upfront and go way more than what you actually need, that way you will never ever have doubt in it. Other wise go cheap and put the extra money you saved towards your medical insurance deductable.
Or another way, is pick out the stuff that no matter who run it still can't mess it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You shouldn't ever have to run and hide when doing rigging of any type. Bigger is better, that is why we all own the big military rigs right?
good advice.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton rating is because of the cable. 1/2 inch cable is limited to 5 tons. Now you can move alot more than pulling 10,000 pounds with one. What, I believe RCHALMERS3 was trying to say was in the FM 20-22 it shows all kinds of vehicle recovery situations. If you use a snatch block as a "fixed block" such as chaining it to a tree then attaching the loose end back to say your bumper you only have a 1:1 mechanical advantage. If you have your stuck truck and you attach a snatch block to the bumper then take a 2nd truck with a winch and run it through the block to say a tree besides the pulling truck you just went to a 2:1 mechanical advantage ( it's now a running block). Just because you use a snatch block it DOES NOT double the pull, it depends on how it's hooked up. If you use 2 snatch blocks (1 single, 1 double) with a 10,000 lb winch you can actually pull up to 39,000 pounds if the 3 deadlines have the capacity. This sinero puts only 9750 pounds on the deuce cable. That also brings up another point you can only get the 10,000 pull on a deuce if you unspool to the first level of cable. The more you have on there the less you can pull. All of this is in the vehicle recovery operations manual FM 20-22.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use a snatch block as a "fixed block" such as chaining it to a tree then attaching the loose end back to say your bumper you only have a 1:1 mechanical advantage.
Nope. 2:1 in this situation. It doesn't matter which end is moving.

1:1 would be if you attached the dead end to another tree and not back to the bumper.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well look at page 25 of the FM 20-22 it even draws you a picture along with an explanation.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well look at page 25 of the FM 20-22 it even draws you a picture along with an explanation.
I just looked it up. The figure you are referring to shows the load hooked to the end (not the bumper) and the snatch block hooked to an anchor (such as a tree). The figure is showing a load which in not connected to the winch (as in self recovery). The winch is remaining stationary.

If you are trying to recover your truck and you attach a snatch block to an anchor, run the rope from the winch, thru the block, and attach the end back to the bumper it is 2:1. Look a figure 47 on page 64.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks