• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should be kinda fun. Wheeler Dealer is doing an episode on a Humvee on 2 Jan.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not, they are.

I can't believe some of the stuff I read here either!

Tornadogt

I have been involved in several TV reality car/racing related shows. It is 90% scripted and 100% edited into whatever the "movie magic" gurus want it to look like. The produces are very good at entertaining us on our sofas. From personal experience events filmed days apart are edited together to seem like a 5 min continuous conversation or a moment in time.. Entertainment Only... With that said I would like to see some feed back from JWade, I am sure it was fun for the people involved in the filming (at least for the first few hours) the next few days are miserable, and all crammed into a 40 min show. But at least they can sit around the TV with their friends and say things like "See that? that's the back of my head, lets rewind it and watch it again". My Favorite is "That is BS I raced that guy (the TV show Star) 3 times and won, why did they only show the race where he(TV show Star) beat me on tv?"

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys I am not trying to stir up a bunch of conspiracies. It's just that John Q HMMWV buyer will see the show and assume they can take whatever they want off of the next truck over. It's bad enough that the dishonest old school surplus buyers do this, now a new crop is being schooled to do this. Few things piss me off worse than arriving to collect a truck, only to find expensive parts missing that were in the auction pictures.

Tornadogt

Guys I am not trying to stir up a bunch of conspiracies. It's just that John Q HMMWV buyer will see the show and assume they can take whatever they want off of the next truck over. It's bad enough that the dishonest old school surplus buyers do this, now a new crop is being schooled to do this. Few things piss me off worse than arriving to collect a truck, only to find expensive parts missing that were in the auction pictures.
It does seem to be a problem at some storage lots more than others, and I do see where the long EUC waits make it even worse. From what I have heard GovPlanet has been pretty good about financially reimbursing buyers for missing items that were in the photos during the auction but missing at time of pickup. I agree it would be better for buyers and GovPlanet if it wasn't happening at all. It has always been a part of buying surplus but seems to be more prevalent now or maybe we are just better at letting other people know with all the social media?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But post #22 says they brought their own part with them.

And, again less than 2 minutes into the video they said they were at a dealer.

Videris

It does seem to be a problem at some storage lots more than others, and I do see where the long EUC waits make it even worse. From what I have heard GovPlanet has been pretty good about financially reimbursing buyers for missing items that were in the photos during the auction but missing at time of pickup. I agree it would be better for buyers and GovPlanet if it wasn't happening at all. It has always been a part of buying surplus but seems to be more prevalent now or maybe we are just better at letting other people know with all the social media?
Naaah. It's like all the know it alls say, it's not gp's lot, it's just the movies, it's blah blah blah. That stuff really doesn't happen. I'm gonna go piss on someone and tell them it's raining, you want to go?

infidel got me

The whole thing was scripted. First of all the price was fixed not auctioned? The batteries were disconnected.... come on guys when has this ever happened? I bet it had a full tank of fuel in it to. The rep also agreed that it would drive off the lot no matter what it took. So now we can go to a g.p. lot and change a leaking radiator, spilling fluids all over, or have the vehicle roll back and run over a legwhile installing a driveshaft because we didn't chock the wheels. Scripted, rigged, fixed or plain out bunk.. this is what they do to keep us glued to the screen. G.P. is having a unicorn sale on December 32nd stay tuned.......... baaaaaahhhaaaaaa

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did they ever say Gov Planet on the show?

Videris

Please remember it is a TV show
dont panic
all your precious humvees are fine
Are you suuuure? Infidel said they are having a sale on the 32rd for unicorns. I'm gonna bid on one. Do you know how much opening bid will be Infidel? Man I hope they have a green one for sale. What about a Pegasus? That sale must be on the 33rd huh. My bad.

Videris

Well for starters there are G.P. stickers all over the windshields. Guess the guy purchased the whole lot and every Humvee had a sticker on it.
Good point! Naaay, those stickers aren't real. Hey maybe the video isn't real too, maybe the people aren't real either......maybe I'm not real. Is steel soilders real? Now I'm really confused

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess my yard is a GL and GP lot too then, I left the stickers on.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

You have a 100 hmmwv like yermo...I..I mean like that other non gp lot? My bad.
There are a lot of dealers and just guys that have lots crammed full of trucks just because you can only afford one doesn't mean other folks can't buy more I have had 500 on my lot at one time and this guy I know had 1200 humvee's, a couple hundred is not uncommon for dealers. Are you going to take the time to go pull all the stickers off hundreds of trucks? Doubt it, you have better things to do than run around all day pulling stickers off. Now I have seen lots of stuff pulled off other trucks at lots but most site management will not allow it and if they do let you get something it is off an unsold vehicle, not saying stuff doesn't happen, I have had it happen to me, heck I had a customers whole wrecker disappear, but fair warning if on base or off if you steal and get caught you can be prosecuted, and some have been.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks