• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should be kinda fun. Wheeler Dealer is doing an episode on a Humvee on 2 Jan.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is hilarious. I watched this episode a week or so ago, it was hilarious, at least to me, but having done my fair share of movies and commercials, you would know how much of this is scripted.
If you never knew about hmmwv's for sale, this would lead you to believe you can just walk up and smack down your
cash and drive off....like in the good ole days of buying at GL.
I have no idea why GP was not plugged for this episode, but I'm sure the normal GP process didn't fit into the script of "cash and walk", its Hollywood folks....

Awol

I wish one could purchase HMMWVs like they did. It be so nice to just drop some cash, scavenge parts needed, and roll out.

I hate that camper shell they made. That said, they look like they had a blast with it!

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At best, the show is misleading as to the "real" process. Although, PD and FD get to take their pick of the crop, right?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They get their pick before we do, that's all.

jeffy777

My two cents.

It was a good episode. Truck looked good at the end.

I don't know how they purchased it without a EUC. I don't know how they sold that to someone in Finland. It appears they are saying everything the Government says about the process is only first buyer relevant (which I do not think is actually lawful but I see it is done). The EUC process is a stupid process anyway if the first person who waits through the process can sell to anyone.

They(Wheeler Dealers) never drove it on road or got it titled. They never mentioned GP they bought it from some mystery dealer... they stole some parts from unsold Humvee's.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two cents.

It was a good episode. Truck looked good at the end.

I don't know how they purchased it without a EUC. I don't know how they sold that to someone in Finland. It appears they are saying everything the Government says about the process is only first buyer relevant (which I do not think is actually lawful but I see it is done). The EUC process is a stupid process anyway if the first person who waits through the process can sell to anyone.

They(Wheeler Dealers) never drove it on road or got it titled. They never mentioned GP they bought it from some mystery dealer... they stole some parts from unsold Humvee's.

Lather, rinse, repeat...its Hollywood. Look guys, you would never watch a single show of this type if they didn't make it all "peaches and creeme" to the average viewer, the only show that probably ain't full of BS is "Cops", as they film day to day operations and just edit the offensive stuff. Everything is made to look effortless and seamless. I own a hmmwv restoration and repair business, just looking at some of what they did is funny to me....but I get it, it's hollywood, been a part of it....it's like saying "I heard it on Facebook, so it must be true"....No, it's not.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While we are on the topic of "wheeler sealer". They do the build sheet at the end of the show on the there vehicles, that's where I always get a laugh, especially on labor hours. Making a profit of $500.00 seems to excite them.
also, IIRC, they list labor hours spent, but not the cost of that labor, the way I see it....they loose money on every car sold.

darr3239

Labor costs not being mentioned is what has always got me about the show. It's one thing if you are a private person doing the work as a hobby. It's quite another for these guys being portrayed as business men, where in reality they almost never make a profit on the cars they sell, if the labor costs were to be taken into account.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, a great discussion. What I was most interested in was what they did to the thing - because I'm interested in doing the same! I think I am going to take it a bit easier on myself though by building a frame around aluminum utility boxes similar to truckbox dot com. I am not at all interested in putting the bed in the back like they did. I would much rather prefer a fiberglass popup type. Now...the real question is: Where do you get a two-person roof? Right now, I have a canvas two-person top and doors.

Its typical Hollywood BS, scripted and for entertainment.

This is what I noticed when I saw the episode.

1. The Lot where all those HMMWVs were is Govplanet's Barstow/Yermo Lot. Govplanet signs on their regular trucks they use were blurred out but Govplanet Auction Number stickers on the trucks were clear as day but they blurred the phone number.website off of it.

2. According to the glimpse of the Data plate, The HMMWV is a M1097A1/R1 overhauled on Oct 2005 which was decommissioned from California Army National Guard's Alpha Battery, 1st Battalion, 143rd Field Artillery of the 79th Infantry Brigade Combat Team located in Northern California.

3. Since there was no mention or special thanks to Ironplanet/Govplanet during the episode or in the credits, I think the production company rented their lot from Ironplanet.

If you don't believe me, ask owenexports on here, he can tell you or not tell you the details since that was him, Steve Kopito that was the "Dealer" selling the HMMWV in that episode.

big block 88

Meh... I liked the episode. I know when we used to pick up the old m35a2 trucks from fort riley we had our connections and the pick of the litter, my old man was the STARC nco at riley for 10 years so he was well known in the drmo and mates. Now this was like 12 years ago but we would look at the trucks we wanted then look at trucks that were nothing but scrap iron and see what parts we wanted and a deal could be reached we NEVER touched a clean truck that could be sold to someone else. Now buying 5 tons today is a different ball game GP and GL is good and bad i feel it protects the trucks a bit better from the canabilizing. But it sure was a lot of fun cruising those yards and picking the trucks and parts you wanted.

I like wheeler dealers but i also dont believe much of what i see on tv as gospel either. Its just entertainment.

On a side note just remember GOATS ARE LIKE MUSHROOMS IF YOU SHOOT A DUCK IM SCARED OF TOASTERS. And everything will make sense to you.

skearns23

This is an old post, I know, but just wanted to clear it up for everyone. I'm the TPOC at the yermo storage yard. That episode of Wheeler Dealers was NOT how we operate at the yard. We were told we would get advertisement in exchange for them being able to use our lot to film. This, of course, did not happen. The gentleman in the episode DOES NOT work for GovPlanet. You CANNOT walk in and purchase a humvee or any other unit - everything goes through auction. Also, no one scavaged ANY parts off ANY vehicle. Those were parts that were brought to the yard by the gentleman in the episode. Please believe me when I say I, personally, was horrified at the episode and what it would lead the viewers to believe. That was all scripted and is absolutely not how we run our yard. Sorry for the confusion. Sleep well knowing that once your humvee is inspected, it is NOT touched until you come to pick it up.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read this post and wow did it go zany fast.

Alls I needed was a little popcorn-fundraiser1.jpg

Is it really news to anybody on this site that television lies? I mean, really??!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks