• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

should I bid on this one?

jetblack3s

Hello all! I have been looking for a fmtv for the past few months. I am trying to get the latest years possible and this
[h=1]S & S M1088A1 MTV 6x6 Tractor Truck[/h] came up and want to ask for you guys opinion. should I bid on it? how much do you think it should go for? I am in San Diego and would love to find something closer in California or Arizona but they don't come up too often. my biggest concern is this in the description :"After jump starting, the engine ran. The engine would not re-start after shutting down without jump starting."
do y'all think its just the battery or alternator issue or it could be something else?

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please take a few minutes and read the site rules you recently agreed to when you joined.

Please include a state in your location(rule).

And please stop posting threads with links to active auctions(rule).

And Please use capitalization(rule).

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's extremely difficult to bid against people who don't know the trucks. Many times, the inexperienced will bid while thinking ,"that other guy knows something. At worst I'll just be one bid too high if I just keep bidding to win "

What's funny, is when you get two of these guys bidding on the same truck. This is why we see one truck sell for $6k, and a virtually identical truck sell for $22k.

This is exacerbated by the fact that govplanet is now offering financing. You can now bid blind, caught up in the excitement of the auction, using borrowed money. I certainly can't compete with that...

Rant over.. let me see if I can add some actual useful information.

1) anything not seen to run, should be presumed incapable of running.

2) if you see one that doesn't run, and is missing parts, do not assume that the latter is the cause of the former. More often than not, it doesn't run because it has major problems and therefore parts were removed for use on trucks without major problems. Example - truck is missing the starter. Description says "will not start and will not run". Buyer decided the missing starter was the problem. He got the truck, added a starter, and discovered one of the cylinders was melted and the block was cracked. He began complaining about deception. He deceived himself by reversing cause and effect.

3) These have all sat for months to years before auction. The batteries are frequently dead and incapable of taking a charge. Consider how a vehicle like this will behave when slaved.

4) Most of us are OCD and go over in minute detail every vehicle at every auction. If you bid and win, it's because we've decided that the price has exceeded the value, or we see a defect that you do not. (Location counts for a lot)

Don't forget fees and taxes. Add 20% to any bid to cover this. Add $1.50/mile to get it to your driveway. Add $700 or so for the initial servicing presuming you do it yourself.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and the 6x6 variant is heavy enough to trigger CDL requirements in CA, while not being old enough to fall into the historic exemption. (This is my read and interpretation - others may vary. The only one that counts is the LEO who stops you)

You may get around this once you have convetted it to an RV and licensed it as such. Note that California requires the conversion to be complete and verified before you can register as an RV.

You may already know all this and have a plan. If so, great. If not, it's something to plan for.

aleigh

Although I felt an overwhelming need for carmac not to be wrong, the real reason I say no is that I've adopted a policy of "don't buy one" to everyone who asks me. It's not that I am trying to be negative, more like, realistic. I find a few people, lets generously allow the curious ones, if not outright the smart ones, ask why, and if they do I start talking about the realities of owning one. Anyone who is truly equipped in mind, body, spirit, and forklift to deal with one of these trucks is not going to be deterred by a quick "no".

tobyS

98G has given you a lot to consider. They don't get rid of the cream of the crop.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's extremely difficult to bid against people who don't know the trucks. Many times, the inexperienced will bid while thinking ,"that other guy knows something. At worst I'll just be one bid too high if I just keep bidding to win "

What's funny, is when you get two of these guys bidding on the same truck. This is why we see one truck sell for $6k, and a virtually identical truck sell for $22k.

This is exacerbated by the fact that govplanet is now offering financing. You can now bid blind, caught up in the excitement of the auction, using borrowed money. I certainly can't compete with that...

Rant over.. let me see if I can add some actual useful information.

1) anything not seen to run, should be presumed incapable of running.

2) if you see one that doesn't run, and is missing parts, do not assume that the latter is the cause of the former. More often than not, it doesn't run because it has major problems and therefore parts were removed for use on trucks without major problems. Example - truck is missing the starter. Description says "will not start and will not run". Buyer decided the missing starter was the problem. He got the truck, added a starter, and discovered one of the cylinders was melted and the block was cracked. He began complaining about deception. He deceived himself by reversing cause and effect.

3) These have all sat for months to years before auction. The batteries are frequently dead and incapable of taking a charge. Consider how a vehicle like this will behave when slaved.

4) Most of us are OCD and go over in minute detail every vehicle at every auction. If you bid and win, it's because we've decided that the price has exceeded the value, or we see a defect that you do not. (Location counts for a lot)

Don't forget fees and taxes. Add 20% to any bid to cover this. Add $1.50/mile to get it to your driveway. Add $700 or so for the initial servicing presuming you do it yourself.
That's dishing out some wisdom right there.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm always correct. I'm also always right, I never go left. Oh, and even when I wrong, I'm right. I knew you were thinking that; after all, I am CARNAC.

big block 88

rEaD uP oN tHiS fOrUm AnD lEaRn ThE kNoWn IsSuEs. FmTv'S aReNt FoR tHe BeGiNeRs LoTs Of ElEcTrOnIcS aNd IsSuEs WiTh ThEm.

Ok enough of that crap. (Capitalization rules) I recomend a 939 series truck. Big dumb and simple like me.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hello all! I have been looking for a fmtv ~and this
[h=1]S & S M1088A1 MTV 6x6 Tractor Truck[/h] came up and want to ask for you guys opinion. ~too often. my biggest concern is this in the description :"After jump starting, the engine ran. The engine would not re-start ~
44,650 lb. GVWR
Big complicated vehicle chock full of potential, and some serious money to fix it too.
We paid about $225,000 for that truck, selling for less than 5% of that now. How much is it worth scrap? price right now?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you planning to drive it 3000 miles? Or pay $3500 or so to have it shipped?

Presume that you get it at market value, and that market value is the same in California as it is on the East Coast. (Both of these are large assumptions). Given these assumptions, you start the game $3500 in the hole.

Reality is that the east coast is a higher market. Several big resellers and multiple smaller ones in the area. They don't' have your transportation costs. If you outbid them, you already paid too much almost certainly, and that's before you transport it.

if you plan to drive it, I see a much bigger issue than the truck not restarting after being shut down. I see something that can cause a rollover accident. Do you? Edit - some relevant information https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?46227-M939-A1-A2-ABS-vs-Non-ABS-Trucks

I'd chase something clear across the country if it was ridiculously cheap (the opening bid on this doesn' qualify) or if it was very rare (M983 for example). The tractor variant of the MTV isn' exactly rare.

But everyone's finances are different. If you've got an extra $4k or so, and you consider driving it across the country to be entertainment then you may want to have at it. But the truck isn't exceptional. There'll be a better one closer in short order.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok enough of that crap. (Capitalization rules) I recomend a 939 series truck. Big dumb and simple like me.
That's like suggesting an M14 to a guy who has decided he wants an M4.

Never mind that the M14 has three times the power and twice the range. Never mind that the M14 has a better trigger, and better sights, or that the M4 makes you stick your head up to fire from behind cover and the M14 does not. The M14 isn't "kewl" like the M4.

The 939s aren't "kewl" like the FMTV bread trucks.

:)

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@jetblack3,
First of all you are not the first or the last to jump into our awesome online forums overly excited without reading a single rule before posting. There are a few things to realize about this though if you are still reading our comments at this point. The first thing is that these gentlemen are very passionate, border line obsessed about the hobby. (Trust me it is an awesome disease). SECOND TO NONE in experience, knowledge, resources, and willingness to help a fellow member or strangers in the hobby. Third thing to think about is we don’t really have any hate towards you or any other new potential member, but if you have no regards to the rules here then expect some pushback. If this is your first online experience you will learn quickly thick skin is a must but really not that important if you are willing to read up before you post. If you haven’t been scared off yet then welcome and read up. Wish you the best

Givinup

I think I can relate to the excitement of looking at the fmtv trucks with no prior experience to the trucks or to the forum. Disregard for the forum rules is likely out of excitement instead of disrespect.

I didn't know the rules when I posted, but have slowly learned them through posts and threads of my own.

I asked similar questions back in August, and was told not to buy one. I appreciated the feedback, let it help make my decision, and purchased from a forum member. It's been an awesome experience and I'm very happy with it.

It's given me a project to work on and take my mind off work.

My truck is filled with more good than bad. Not all trucks are, but also not all trucks are junk.

Determine your capacity to work on the truck, your extra income to waste on the truck, and if you don't have either, or it'll stress you out to spend an unexpected amount of time or money or both fixing an unexpected problem, don't buy. If you are crazy enough to enjoy those situations like many of us are, then jump right in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I can relate to the excitement of looking at the fmtv trucks with no prior experience to the trucks or to the forum. Disregard for the forum rules is likely out of excitement instead of disrespect.

I didn't know the rules when I posted, but have slowly learned them through posts and threads of my own.

I asked similar questions back in August, and was told not to buy one. I appreciated the feedback, let it help make my decision, and purchased from a forum member. It's been an awesome experience and I'm very happy with it.

It's given me a project to work on and take my mind off work.

My truck is filled with more good than bad. Not all trucks are, but also not all trucks are junk.

Determine your capacity to work on the truck, your extra income to waste on the truck, and if you don't have either, or it'll stress you out to spend an unexpected amount of time or money or both fixing an unexpected problem, don't buy. If you are crazy enough to enjoy those situations like many of us are, then jump right in.

You have to agree to the rules to join the sign how can you not know about the rules ?
Do you make it a habit to agree too site rules and "terms & conditions" of internet sites like the big auction companies?

Rebuilder

My suggestion would be to skip the auctions and buy one from a private seller. Find one that has been serviced and had some miles put on it. Yes it will cost more up front but worth it in the end.

Givinup

You have to agree to the rules to join the sign how can you not know about the rules ?
Do you make it a habit to agree too site rules and "terms & conditions" of internet sites like the big auction companies?
Wait, so you're telling me you read all pages of all terms and conditions for all items you use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks