• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I buy this M37?

WCRiot

Hey guys,
Check this one out that just popped up:

Description
For Sale: 1953 Dodge M37, 3/4 Ton, 4x4 Military Truck. 6 Cylinder 230 cu. in. flat head engine, 4 speed transmission, 2 speed transfer case, original military 24V water resistant electrical system. Factory PTO winch. I cannot validate that the mileage shown on the odometer is the true mileage for this truck. There is no rust on the truck, I have not been able to find any rust through anywhere on the vehicle. The body is in very good condition with only minor body dents consistent with a 57 year old truck. The truck has virtually all of the original parts, and is a very restorable truck. needs new tires, with lock out hubs on the front axle. The truck was running 10 months ago when I moved it from one spot to the next in my property, I drove it home when I bought it 10 years ago drove like a champ it's been seating all this time. Dodge manufactured nearly 100,000 of these trucks for the US and Canadian military from 1951 to 1965. As such, there are a large number of military vehicle parts dealers, that can virtually supply anything you would need to restore this truck to a factory new appearance. It is to nice a truck to part out, hope I will find good new owner so they can restore it.

Oilleaker1

The last truck shown is just what you want. Where you live and where that truck is, is another consideration if you have to haul it home. They weigh almost 6000 pounds. You may want to watch GSA (Gov't Services Administrations Auction sight) for one near you. They pop up often, but distance can be a problem. Prices range from free to 12000.00 depending on condition. The more complete, the better in the long run. Free may cost you 15000.00 before you're done. Shop for a while before you jump. They are a real buddy to play with. I have two and enjoy the heck out of them. Remember, they are a 40 mph toy. Slow is good. Life passes by at a good rate! John

ALFA2

Unless you want to go with much larger and heavier tires, and want to drive like you stole it, the stock axles in good condition will hold up just fine for street driving. Breaks will be a little weak for this combo, but can be upgraded to be adequate if needed. If the price is right, and you like the truck and how it drives, buy it and do not look back. Lots of parts for it everywhere, and they are not expensive at all, you can add what ever you want as time and money allow.

Good luck !

ALFA2

Capt.Marion

Ditto on the second one. It's got the winch- a $1700 value.

I wouldn't change anything from stock, in my opinion. It was engineered to work in a particular configuration, and changing that just screws things up.

WCRiot

My concern with this second truck I found is the engine and transmission combo.
How common are engine parts? Especially compared to the Chevrolet 350 like the other truck I found. The second truck is a gaurenteed project, which I am nto looking for.

OILLEAKER1: Why do you call these trucks a 40mph toy? All cars are toys to me, but I don't believe is parade cars, I drive my cars hard and often.

I can't have a car that doesn't have power to drive around the city and up the steep hills where i live. I want to be able to drive this truck on the highway.

I don't know enough about the driveability of these trucks. So please educate me. The only time I ever saw one in person, the mechanic restoring it was bad mouthing it so much. Calling it a piece of crap every other sentence. His biggest garip was the steering and not being able to make a U turn in the streets very easy

Oilleaker1

Riot, the turning radius is indeed wide and it won't turn on a dime, the gear ratio is low meaning slow. You will tach out the 350 chevy at 50 mph. A 350 will give you twice the fuel economy of the dodge flathead six. They get around 9-10 mpg with lockout hubs. Less without. The low gearing means it will crawl over anything off road if you can get traction. It is rated to haul a honest 2000 pounds. If you want a truck to zip around in, in pickup form, look for a shortbox 4 wheel drive chevy. The creature comforts in a M37 are poor without the add-on heater and defroster. It wobbles and brakes are marginal. If you are into modification, you could change all the running gear from a dodge diesel pickup and have a real goer. The cab etc. will be the same though. It in my judgement is best left as it was intended. The engineers made it to work for the military and do a cargo truck job. Perfect to go and get firewood in the mountains or haul a bunch of friends along. With the canvas top, it is like a roadster pickup. You can turn around and talk face to face with friends in the back. Mine likes 40 mph. 50 is pushing it. Hope I answered your questions on what to expect! John

Tanner

Riot -

If the suspension components are in good working order & the tires in good shape, wobble is not an issue. The M37 is a crude truck compared to a stripper F-150 or Chevrolet 1500 of today, but the design is 60+ years old. Stock brakes leave something to be desired, but disc brake conversions have been performed. Stock parts availability is still good -

Expect 50mph max w/o grenading the old Dodge flathead 230 running standard gearing & 900x16 tires.

Noisy? Yes...
Heavy? Yes...
Fun? Yes...

YMMV -

'Tanner'

bubba_got_you

Bubba,
What do you think about the second truck compared to the first? I like the engine swap for practicality. I just want to be able to drive the truck. I dont want to parade around at 40mph.
if you just want a driver that looks cool then the first one is your truck. if you want an all stock prize winner then the 2nd truck is the truck for you. now if you are just looking for a truck you can paint up and drive it around then i would go with the first one the stock axles will do fine if taken care of and not abused and i can cruse at 55 without pushing my motor and it will go all day and still look good

WCRiot

Guys,
I went and saw the first truck in person. I also got to drive it in addition to the current owner taking me for a brief offroading experience.

I am in love! The car is really fast with the Chevy350 engine in it. The transmission he put was not a good idea. First gear is worthless, second gear is really short too. B/c of this the truck doesnt have much top end.

Overall it is in good shape. The floor has a few holes from some rust, but other than that, the truck has ZERO rust. I even crawled under the truck and check the frame and what not.

The guy put new brake pads and new wheel cylinders. But, the brakes are still pretty crappy.

The hi / low shifter for the transfer case has allot fo slop in it and can probably be tweaked.

In my opinion this truck needs a few things:
A different transmission
Better brakes
Canvas top.

How much would it cost to get the original gauges. The current owner swapped all of them out for some low quality aftermarket gauges.

I didnt sleep last night cause I was thinking about this truck soo much. I hate this disease! It's expensive :)

Oilleaker1

Riot, your ride description brought back memories for me! Toyota Landcruiser with a 4 bolt main 350------full house mouse motor. Buried me in the seat-----cool. You have----Green Disease"! Welcome to our club. Frankly, if you want the HP, buy it. If you want what it was intended for----don't. They are just a big Willys Jeep and are geared to be slow. Please watch GSA, Gov't Services Administrations auctions. You can buy one with the winch for around 3000.00. The winch is way cool and can move big pine trees or pull out your rock crawler friends. I've had alot of toys, but the M37 has definately filled a niche for me. I do like them. I don't care about speed. Fun is good. You can buy anything for them. OD paint is way cheap. They will haul up to 2000 pounds no problem. People at the resurant on Saturday will stand around it pointing. A car show in itself. Marines will tell you it's painted wrong. I do like Marines! I'm not one, but admire them. So, just do it and you won't feel bad at all. Ask here for all the help you could ever need. A real hands on machine---cool! John

SasquatchSanta

The M37 was built to keep up with the troops NOT the traffic. If you want to drive the truck on the road --- in traffic --- the 350 is the ticket.

With the stock 583 gearing you are not going to safely get more that 47 MPH out of the 230. At 2,500 RPMs the stock engines start vibrating and it's just a matter of time before they self destruct. I believe 2,500 RPM with 36" rubber equals 47 MPH.

The 350 Chevy on the other hand will spin all day at 3,500 RPM and like it. Rebuild and stay on top of your brakes and they are fine.

I've got a daily driver M37 with 489 gears and a stock 230. I installed a tach. At 2.500 RPMs I'm running just a little over 55 MPH with the 489 gears.

If you don't like the transmission I change it out but I'd deffinately keep the 350.

If you are a purist, which I think you stated you are not, then the truck with the 350 is not for you.

I like the custom wheels. Let me know if you want to sell them.

I hope this helps.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure $25-$30 per gauge for NOS. You can find takeouts cheap (I think I have 3 sets on the shelf). The nice thing about these trucks is you can do one thing at a time. Get a truck then if it doesn't have a high enough top end-change to 4:89's. If you don't like the tiny brake shoes add Disks. Add Lockouts/heater/power steering/or a V-8. It never ends (i'm in the middle of rear disks on mine[thumbzup]).

WCRiot

Figure $25-$30 per gauge for NOS. You can find takeouts cheap (I think I have 3 sets on the shelf). The nice thing about these trucks is you can do one thing at a time. Get a truck then if it doesn't have a high enough top end-change to 4:89's. If you don't like the tiny brake shoes add Disks. Add Lockouts/heater/power steering/or a V-8. It never ends (i'm in the middle of rear disks on mine[thumbzup]).
Thats great to hear. I checked Ebay and it seems like they are priced a little higher than that, but I'm sure a little shopping around and Ill find some deals.
In terms of gauges, the next challenge would be getting those 24volt gauges to work with the 12volt system of the small block.
I have been doing lots of searching and heard about the power steering upgrade, which I think it needs. But, I haven't seen lots of details, only pictures of the hard work already performed.
I would love to hear more about the Disc brake upgrade. What's the setup for these? And does it add disc brakes to the rear?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks