• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I install a gear vendors overdrive

chigger

I am going to pick up a multifuel deuce soon and going to be making some serious mods. I'll be taking off one of the axles and adding 53 inch tires, but I'm not bobbing it. This deuce will have to go on some long hauls on the freeway, and I have a Gear Vendors overdrive unit available.

Since I'll be doing all this work, should I go ahead and move the transfer case back and install the overdrive? Will the deuce have enough power to pull itself at freeway speed 65-70. What are your thoughts?

kc5mzd

It has 125hp That is less than a diesel VW Bug. If you could pull it down the freeway at 70 with a VW Bug you would have a good idea what you are asking the old multifuel to do.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I cannot answer the question if the motor has the guts to pull the truck at 70mph, I can say that you are proposing to make a pig fly.

There are way better choices for a road truck for less money than you are proposing. Converting a low power, low speed off road truck is pretty much a waste of time and expense.

Your mileage may vary.

Rick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I heard that another tank was for sale, can we combine this thread with the old "I brought a tank" thread

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Fwiw changing from the stock 38" to 53" tires will have the same effect as running a .71ish OD in all gears. An underdrive might be more approriate.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you get it to around 70ish (which is possible), how do you plan to safely STOP it? Multiple times?

oddshot

*sigh*

Post number one? And it HAD to be THAT nube question???

*sigh*

A number of the old hands around here HATE it if you ask a questions that has been asked a million times before.

... and I'm beginning to understand why.

EVERY NUBE IN THE WORLD wants to know what they gotta do to make their new baby go 65 to 70 MPH.

THAT has got to be the NUMBER ONE FNG question.

*sigh*

OK kid ... welcome aboard.

If you intend coming here a lot ... allow me to make a couple or three suggestions that will make your FNG life a LOT easier.

1) READ THE FORUM RULES!!! Some folks here are REAL sensitive about the rules.

2) Down load and read the manuals. Do NOT ask a question about something that can be found in a TM.

3) AND MOST IMPORTANT ... Think of this site as a HUGE library of information on Military Vehicles (MV), which it is. Before you ask ANY MORE NUBE QUESTIONS please, please, please use the search function of this forum ... and probably the hotrodding forum as well.

as A TEST ... just do a search for "mph" on this forum.

Read EVERY thread you find.

Hint: It ain't a good idea to try to get a Deuce to go that fast. Its probably the same as trying to get a C-130 to go supersonic.

anyoldways ...

Welcome aboard ... try to keep them three rules in mind.

Happy motoring.

oddshot

mktopside

Banned
One of these days were going to have to encourage one of these guys to actually do it. That way when they wreck we can use them as an example to all the rest in the future.

Or, we just say "Nah, it'll do 75 in stock form, they are rev monsters, just turn the governor up to 3800 and you'll be fine......we all do it!"

Self solving problem. Kinda like "Delete 'system 32', make computer faster!!!"

flyxpl

I am not 100% sure but with 53's on a 6x6 you will probally go nowhere . I beleive the tandems are to close and the rear tires would be touching . With 46" tires it is tight .

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
he was going to make a 4X4, long bed, droping a axle

BLOWING a STEER tire at 60 MPH is a REAL pucker factor and your in the hands of GOD, trust me, my SIG. tells it all, THANK GOD no one was hurt, It could have been a LOT different

Remember speed KILLS and with a MV the number can be a LOT higher then one real EASY

Last edited:

Demoman

Check a thread on over drive gears by m-35tom he has produced a replacement 5th gear for the deuce along with a couple of other improvements for the stock tranny that will help with speed. I don't know if any one has tried the gears with tires that size yet .

Don't let these guy get to you the site really is a great source of information you just have play by their rules or get a good amount of grief

rlwm211

Lets see...let's say 6 tons of truck, empty, no power steering....
brakes that are adequate but not much more than that......
great big tires...65 MPH....oh, don't let me forget...
no roll bar, or other type of protection for the driver and occupants....

Not a good plan if you ask me....

They make things often times the way they do for a reason.
The deuce was designed for convoys at 35-45 MPH tops.
Just because the speedometer goes to 60 does not mean you should try to.

You want to go fast on the highway, get a road truck.
You want to go cross country with a vehicle that will take
a ton of punishment and still keep going, get a deuce.

This is, of course, my two cents worth
and you are free to do whatever you want to!

RL

p.s. The members here on the forum love pictures...so please post them if you do this

steelandcanvas

One of these days were going to have to encourage one of these guys to actually do it. That way when they wreck we can use them as an example to all the rest in the future.

Or, we just say "Nah, it'll do 75 in stock form, they are rev monsters, just turn the governor up to 3800 and you'll be fine......we all do it!"

:funny:rofl

tm america

Hmmm?53s and a stock multifuel= SLOW. Accelleration will be extra slow . Top speed will be limited more by power than by ratio.In hills you will be lucky to pull 45mph . 48s would probably be alot better choice for what you are looking to do ..If you are set on running the 53s i would swap in a trans from a gasser to help with accelleration

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks