• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I install a gear vendors overdrive

w3azel

I'm interested which gear vender over/under drive this guy thought would fit. I looked into them and didn't find any that would fit the m35a2. I know they have versions for manual trans. I fail to see though how it would hurt the engine. Its more gears for the engine to use which means more fuel efficiency and top speed right?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I doubt they make one suitable for any big trucks. The Waterloo OD kit is still the most cost effective way to get OD and have the ability to use the transfer case to evenly split all the gears

chigger

I never used the Gear Vendor OD for my M35A2. I have the 53" tires which gives me 30% more speed. In 5th gear, power is pretty well maxed out, but it will drive at 60-65 mph.

When I started my project, I thought about taking my Gear Vendor out of my Ford 7.3 turbo diesel and installing it into my M35A2. The space between the transmission and the transfer case is way too short. Without moving the transfer case, the only way to install it would be after the transfer case. To do this, the Gear Vendor would need to have a disable switch added to the all-wheel drive selector to prevent a mismatched ratio while in all wheel drive. The Gear Vendor is solenoid shifted and would be easy enough to do.

The Gear Vendor is a planetary gear just like an automatic transmission. Because of this design, the gears are always meshed. When it shifts, a brake is applied to a portion of the planetary gear. The only parts that really go bad are the fluid pump and the brake. In other words, they can handle a tremendous amount of power except when shifting. The M35A2 doesn't create much power and the gear vendor should be plenty strong enough to handle it as it had no problem handling my 7.3 turbo Ford pulling massive loads. Go to their website and they rate their Gross weight to 30,000 lbs for recreational or 25,000 lbs for commercial. The M35A2 has a massive amount of gear reduction in the axles so the gear vendor will not see the torque multiplication. One could put a disable switch on the transfer case gear selector to prevent operation in low range where the torque is multiplied. It would not need to be used in the low range anyway. However, this would be a ton of work to make the gear vendor OD install not to mention the price tag.

I like the fact the 4-5 gear are close ratio. Shifting through the gears with large tires is OK until high gears. The close 4th to 5th makes it easier to transition to 5th gear with massive tires. I would prefer to have a transmission that has a gear in-between each gear. I often use the transfer case to split the gears. 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear in low range is equivalent to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear in high range. I still have a big jump when going into 4[SUP]th[/SUP] gear high range. The M35A2 doesn’t develop power until around 1500 rpm which is when the turbo spools up. If I’m shifting at 2200 rpm, then the next gear is way below 1500 rpm. I could wind out each gear beyond 2200 rpm, but that gets dangerously high. A close ratio transmission with more gears is preferred.

w3azel

Not sure who did this one, do not forget to place back in direct before shifting into in 6x6.
I WANT IT! Anyone know the model. I do realize the price is up there but it looks way easier then an engine transmission swap and I don't plan on cruising at highway speed in 6x6. The other option is turning up the fuel, wheels, maybe the over drive upgrade and pretty much play Russian roulette. This would be safer and fill that 3-4 or 5L-4H gap. Unless I'm missing something.

chigger

Try searching for "Brownie Box". My understanding is that they were originally called Browning, however, the term Brownie Box has become generic term for an auxiliary transmission. There are many different types. Make sure you find one that can be shifted on the fly and has the right gear ratio for splitting gears. If you have the air shifted all wheel drive, you could use an air piston connected to the brownie box shifter to drive the brownie box back into 1:1 ratio when selecting all wheel drive.

One note of caution: notice how short the drive shaft is between the brownie box and the axle. That axle has tremendous vertical travel. It could exceed the u-joint angle very easily. On-road it is no big deal. Off-road may lead to a broken driveshaft. Make sure that the vertical travel is understood and u-joint angle is calculated.

ShaggyTheGreat

Btw, This 24 lug bolt together rim, does not seem to dangerous, i mean it has 24 bolts holding it on..... 20 ****ing 4. i can't even call this a standard split rim, i see no issues with these coming apart.

*removed link due to infraction in rules* but its a 24 nut bolt together rim use on some deuces and it looks pretty sturdy.

very different than say these dayton style rims i think they are called. http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh167/Chelle_L_C/Snapringwheel.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You look new here so I'll say it as nice as I can. You have broken site rules about posting auction links. You should take them down before you get banned or an infraction. I am not a moderator, just informing you of rules you agreed to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks