• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

should i put a Detroit locker in the front end?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Detroit Locker (or NoSpin) really is named wrong. It's really a Detroit Unlocker. As long as it's not under power, the unit will let the axles differentiate. They really are virtually invisible in a front axle that is not under power. Lock in all wheel drive and the game is on. Lock out hubs are nice but not absolutely necessary if you have the Detroit in the front. As far as breaking axle from just driving down the road? I'd be more worried about breaking thumbs. Remember, locking front diffs in the deuce is old news. The folks in Norway have had them since the 60's. I have contacts over there and none have reported breaking front axles.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locking hubs don't interest me much. I would rather have the ARB Airlocker and call it a day. I would put 2 in the rears and leave the front open. I cant justify putting one in the front.... Heck, i cant hardly justify putting 2 in the rears the way I drive it. It's a want, not a need. :smile:

Mercunimog404

Banned
The Detroit Locker (or NoSpin) really is named wrong. It's really a Detroit Unlocker. As long as it's not under power, the unit will let the axles differentiate. They really are virtually invisible in a front axle that is not under power. Lock in all wheel drive and the game is on. Lock out hubs are nice but not absolutely necessary if you have the Detroit in the front. As far as breaking axle from just driving down the road? I'd be more worried about breaking thumbs. Remember, locking front diffs in the deuce is old news. The folks in Norway have had them since the 60's. I have contacts over there and none have reported breaking front axles.
According to the manufacturer you're incorrect. They are locked at all times. The only time they unlock is in a turn. Once you're going straight again they lock

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-locker/index.htm

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone else notice the op hasn't even been back since posting?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the manufacturer you're incorrect. They are locked at all times. The only time they unlock is in a turn. Once you're going straight again they lock

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-locker/index.htm
According to the mfr, I'm 100% correct. That's why I referred to it as an unlocker. It's locked all the time unless you turn, hence it unlocks....unless, it's under power! If under power it will stay locked. Please explain to me what is incorrect in what I posted? Don't just say I'm incorrect, cite where!

Mercunimog404

Banned
According to the mfr, I'm 100% correct. That's why I referred to it as an unlocker. It's locked all the time unless you turn, hence it unlocks....unless, it's under power! If under power it will stay locked. Please explain to me what is incorrect in what I posted? Don't just say I'm incorrect, cite where!
Eh I guess I read it wrong. It's always locked Unless it's turning. Even coasting in a straight line it's locked. The only and only time it differentiates is when turning. I guess were both right.

rustystud

The Norwegians Differentials are basically like the "Uni-Mogs" . Using a sliding cog to lock the carrier to an axle making a "spool differential". When unengaged it is just a normal differential. The problems with the "Detroit Lockers" is they are always a locking differential no matter what. Every turn they are locking and unlocking multiple times. This can cause a stress on the axles that can eventually lead to breakage. Note, I did not say WILL lead to breakage, but CAN lead to breakage. So many people get caught up in there preference of locking differentials that all reason flies out the window. Just like the Chevy, Ford, Chrysler debate.
As a heavy equipment mechanic who has over a decade of experience just on Trannys and differentials, I can safely say that a "Detroit Locker" in a front axle is generally not a good idea. All manufacturers who make a front locking differential will not install a "Detroit Locker" in it. They will usually use some type of "Air Locker" . I know some here will say that I have used a "Detroit Locker" in my front differential for years and it still runs great. I say good for you ! but I have rebuilt countless front differentials that broke due to a locking differential. See, I said locking differential which also includes the "Posi Lock" types of differential lockers. The best for longevity of the front differential is the "Air Locker" style. You still need to unlock it after your finished getting unstuck though. Most modern vehicles that have air lockers use a "ECM" module to control the activation thus eliminating operator error. So if I had the money I would install 3 "Air Lockers" in my deuce with a dash warning light letting me know that the Lockers where engaged.
With a set-up like this I could handle almost any off-road traction problem and still have a good over the road vehicle.
OK guys start flaming me, I know I deserve it !

RAYZER

Steve6x6x6 has a locker in his front axle (and rear) on his bobed A3, i have been off road with him and witnessed the clicking from the "old school" locker when in action with no jerking from the steering wheel due to the power steering ......or not.
Then, when going off trail just unlock the hubs and it rides like a Cadillac!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably the biggest reason you don't see Detroit lockers in the front axle is because it takes a certain amount of traction to make them unlock in a turn. If you have poor traction, they won't unlock in a turn and then the front tires are going to slide. If the front tires are sliding, they aren't steering.

rustystud

Probably the biggest reason you don't see Detroit lockers in the front axle is because it takes a certain amount of traction to make them unlock in a turn. If you have poor traction, they won't unlock in a turn and then the front tires are going to slide. If the front tires are sliding, they aren't steering.
You make a very good point !

w3azel

I think it comes down to people are cheap and the front axle is usually the last one to get a locker installed.

Jeepsinker

A front locker isn't the axle to cheap out on though, as it is the most susceptible to damage. An air locker and locking hubs is the only way to lock one of these front ends properly. That's just all there is to it.

Rmtaunton

I have a few things locked front and rear and in theory a without front drive shaft engaged it will ratchet , and this is true and I have never had one accidentally lock up , but the ones I have only see pavement looking down from a trailer

Robc

I'll soon find out how front and rear hold up with Detroit lockers as I am finishing up install of both axles tonight or first thing in the morning. I do have locking hubs on front which on my test drive (did the front axle first) proved to be priceless on dry ground. Also why I am looking for air assist steering lol.

brianp454

What do you mean by priceless?

I'll soon find out how front and rear hold up with Detroit lockers as I am finishing up install of both axles tonight or first thing in the morning. I do have locking hubs on front which on my test drive (did the front axle first) proved to be priceless on dry ground. Also why I am looking for air assist steering lol.

Robc

With transfer case unlocked and hubs locked in turning tight low speeds the steering was doable but difficult. With the hubs and transfer case unlocked drives like always did. With the hubs and transfer case locked in, on uneven dry ground or in a turn and hit the fuel pedal hard it will yank the steering wheel the direction IT wants to go!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Like a FWD car in a turn in the rain, full throttle and still right into the curb

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks