• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

should I remove/bypass the GP resistor with Wellman 070s?

jsgmdiesel

Hey guys, just bought a stock M1008 and am in the process of doing some updates. I got the starter relay, and some new wellman 070 glow plugs. Do I have to go with the ACG60s if I remove the GP resistor? Whats the point of this resistor if so many are bypassing it? I would like to keep the 24v starting. I'm just trying to get the truck to start quicker and do some preventative maintanence. Thanks in advance,
John

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the resistor drops the 24v to 12v for the glow plugs. If you have a glow plug fail, the resistance changes, allowing higher voltage to the remaining GPs. eventually it will cause a cascading failure of the GPs.

DDT

I left the resister in place and am running a gound side control "Push Button" switch for the glow plugs attached to the glow plug card, I start it on cold starts with 3 sets of 5 sec on 3 sec off, and the truck pops each time. Another good upgrade that no one seems to tralk about is tghe High pressure pump advancement. Its simply moving the installed HP pump toward the driverside. This is achieved by loosening the 3 bolts holding the pump in place. Email me with more questions if gthey arise or look it up on youtube there is a good video as well. Advance timing will limit the smoke, make easier start ups and will slightly increase EGT temps.

Taylor
909 838 0750
86 M1009 Banks turbo
Daily Driver 20 mpg

Vhyle

I'm going to do the bypass tonight as well. I won't be using a switch (yet, but I will in the future) so I was planning on simply redirecting the output from the resistor up to the diamond-shaped terminals above the GP relay. I know that's a 12v source and from what I understand, this is common prodecure. Any caveats to this I should know about?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
so I was planning on simply redirecting the output from the resistor up to the diamond-shaped terminals above the GP relay
This is incorrect!

You are either poorly written or wrong.

Vhyle

This is incorrect!

You are either poorly written or wrong.
Ahhh yup, poorly written - my mistake. I meant to say that I'm going to use the diamond-shape terminals above the GP relay, as the 12v source. Thus eliminating the GP resistors, and its 24v feed.

tbearatkin

The Point of the Resistor was to allow the GP's to still operate when using the Slave Cable connection on the front of the truck. When bypassed if you were to ever use the slave cable connection you would not have juice for your GP's. Recommend when your Wellmans burnout to replace them with the ac60 plugs. Either will start your vehicle just AC60 most people have less issues with them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When bypassed if you were to ever use the slave cable connection you would not have juice for your GP's.
You will have whatever juice is in the front battery. So, unless your battery is totally dead, bad(open cell), or missing, you will get something to the 12v supplied GPs.

We(civilians) do not need NATO starting capability in a combat situation.

Convert it and be happy you only will need to replace one GP at a time from now on.

I'd give those Wellmans to your best enemy, and buy AC Delco 60Gs.

Keith_J

How about keeping the system stock and adding a glow plug voltmeter next to the 24 voltmeter in the dash? A simple 12 volt automotive meter will show if the voltage increases which will tell you if a glow plug burns out and the controller card doesn't catch it.

My hypothesis is with the individual glow plug connectors. They corrode or get dirty, then get hot and lose tension. This causes an increase in resistance which causes the others to fail.

scottladdy

I also recommend bypassing the resistor. Although it does place an increased load on the front battery relative to the rear. The front will now be handling all of the 12 volt loads, while the rear will just be used for starting.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also recommend bypassing the resistor. Although it does place an increased load on the front battery relative to the rear. The front will now be handling all of the 12 volt loads, while the rear will just be used for starting.
Resistor bypassed or not, the front battery always handles the 12 volt loads...at least that was my understanding of how it works.

DDT

I would have to say the easiest way to operate and monitor the glow plugs, relay,and gp card is to correctly install a push button switch. I installed mine after my card wouldn't send the needed ground to the relay. I bought the napa relay and dr diesel glow plugs from eBay. I control the on/off time and duration. I recommend not cutting and redirecting to much on the firewall as your bound to create more charging/starting issues. After you rebuild and spend a few late nights with the system is starts to make sence. It's hard to explain as there are 4 main systems. Dual alternators dual battery's, glow plugs and a 12v operating system

MarcusOReallyus

Resistor bypassed or not, the front battery always handles the 12 volt loads...at least that was my understanding of how it works.
Not exactly. Well, actually, no. :)

To get clear on this, remember to look at the whole system, not just the voltage going to the GPs.

In the stock configuration, 24v (from BOTH batteries) is provided to the GP system. The resistor knocks that down and feeds 12v to the glow plugs. Where does that other 12v go? It's wasted as heat from the resistor. So the stock GP system is a 24v system. It draws its power from both batteries.

The bypass changes all of that. The resistor is no longer doing anything except collecting dust. No power flows through it. It's just there. Decoration. It's as much a part of the electrical load as a mud wasp nest on your firewall.

Instead, we draw 12v from the 12v system (front battery) and feed it to the glow plugs.

So, we have changed the GP system from a 24v system to a 12v system.

Clear as mud?

Now get that wasp nest off your firewall, willya? :mrgreen:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You totally missed what I was saying. The reply before me was misleading with this statement...

The front will now be handling all of the 12 volt loads, while the rear will just be used for starting.
The front battery ALWAYS handles the 12 volt loads, whether the resistor is bypassed or not. You are not going to get 12 volts off of the rear battery because of the way they are wired. The only difference after the bypass it that now the rear battery doesn't do anything for the GP's any longer.

Vhyle

You totally missed what I was saying. The reply before me was misleading with this statement...

The front battery ALWAYS handles the 12 volt loads, whether the resistor is bypassed or not. You are not going to get 12 volts off of the rear battery because of the way they are wired. The only difference after the bypass it that now the rear battery doesn't do anything for the GP's any longer.
The procedure I was talking about - utilizing the diamond-shaped terminals located above the GP relay - the 12 volts to that terminal is coming straight from the positive of the rear battery. At least that's how it is on my truck. I'm not sure if someone else wired it that way, though. So if I were to use the diamond terminals as my 12v source for the GPs and GP relay, it would be drawing from the rear battery on my truck.

scottladdy

Well, it just goes to show that I should not post so late in the day :p. Since I started this discussion, let me attempt to re-state what I really meant to say.

With the resistor bypassed, the load the front battery needs to handle is significantly increased. Prior to the bypass, both batteries share the GP workload. Afterwards, the front battery handles all of the 12 volt loads (true statement in either case) which is now significantly greater since the rear battery is now cut out of the GP circuit.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The procedure I was talking about - utilizing the diamond-shaped terminals located above the GP relay - the 12 volts to that terminal is coming straight from the positive of the rear battery. At least that's how it is on my truck. I'm not sure if someone else wired it that way, though. So if I were to use the diamond terminals as my 12v source for the GPs and GP relay, it would be drawing from the rear battery on my truck.
If your wiring is stock the 12v is coming from the negative terminal of the rear battery.

The way you worded it, you would have 24v at the diamond terminal

There is a lot of "junk" being spewed in this thread.

Last edited:

scottladdy

The procedure I was talking about - utilizing the diamond-shaped terminals located above the GP relay - the 12 volts to that terminal is coming straight from the positive of the rear battery. At least that's how it is on my truck. I'm not sure if someone else wired it that way, though. So if I were to use the diamond terminals as my 12v source for the GPs and GP relay, it would be drawingthe from the rear battery on my truck.
May I suggest that you check the voltage potential between that diamond shaped connector and ground to validate that there is a 12 volt potential?

If we are talking about the same connector, it is supposed to feed 12 volts to a considerable number of items. Check the image in this post: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...g-By-Pass-Help&p=948468&viewfull=1#post948468

The connector I believe you are referring to is labeled "12V bus".

I would be a tad concerned if you were seeing 24 volts off of that connector.

Please report back what you find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks