• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I?

Lagers4myhead

I have an M-1009 and I just got orders to Valdez Alaska. The government isn't going to ship a vehicle and let me drive the other one and they won't ship firearms so driving there seems like it makes the most sense for me. I am trying to decide if my blazer will make it (I think it will, runs good, doesn't burn oil and the only issue is that it doesn't want to shift out of first on the first drive in the AM, but shifts fine after it has...I think it's the vacuum) and is it going to be a good vehicle for the cold temperatures up there. I think I'll need to tow a 6-10 foot u-haul as well. Any thoughts or personal experiences with m-1009's in cold temperatures and long distance driving would be very welcome and appreciated.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
drive up to Seattle

board the ferry with your truck AND trailer

ride the ferry through the inside straits to the destination CLOSEST to where you need to go

get off the ferry and drive a short distance to your destination

my brother did this with his family in his large truck, towing a 20 ft trailer - arrived without incident in Anchorage

HE DID THIS IN THE SUMMER THOUGH...

not sure what to tell you about moving at this time of the year

jeeplvr247

I would give your vacuum lines a good look over before you leave and fix the problem. I would drive the whole way, western canada has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. You will also need a block heater and battery heater for sure when you get up there.

TyJustice

Do it!

It will be a unforgettable adventure and all of Steel Soldiers will be able to live vicariously through you...for a short time atleast!

You might want to get contact information of some members here that will be on your route. If you have any mechanical problems they may be able to assist and save a little money.2cents

Good Luck..Make sure to post some pics of this epic journey.

mightymanx

drive up to Seattle

board the ferry with your truck AND trailer

ride the ferry through the inside straits to the destination CLOSEST to where you need to go

get off the ferry and drive a short distance to your destination

my brother did this with his family in his large truck, towing a 20 ft trailer - arrived without incident in Anchorage

HE DID THIS IN THE SUMMER THOUGH...

not sure what to tell you about moving at this time of the year
I second this and it will probably tanking firearms via ship through Canadan than land.

The inside passage is not to be missed.

Alaska Ferry Adventures - Alaska Ferry Reservations, Cruise Tours to Alaska and Alaskan Vacations and Trips.

ryan77

Then again i drove a m1009 spraying trans oil from the drive shaft, blew both alternator belts and still drove it 1, 000 miles home!!! All i needed was my diet cokes and pretzels for company!!!

rickf

You DO NOT want to cross the border into Canada with firearms!!!! You will have to ship them or take the ferry as long as you don't have to go through Canadian customs with the guns.

Rick

scranch18121

I have an M-1009 and I just got orders to Valdez Alaska. The government isn't going to ship a vehicle and let me drive the other one and they won't ship firearms so driving there seems like it makes the most sense for me. I am trying to decide if my blazer will make it (I think it will, runs good, doesn't burn oil and the only issue is that it doesn't want to shift out of first on the first drive in the AM, but shifts fine after it has...I think it's the vacuum) and is it going to be a good vehicle for the cold temperatures up there. I think I'll need to tow a 6-10 foot u-haul as well. Any thoughts or personal experiences with m-1009's in cold temperatures and long distance driving would be very welcome and appreciated.
Hand Guns are a no no in Canada. Be very careful.

tbearatkin

The last time I checked the military will ship firearms and they also will pay extra if you have two vehicles and driving. You just need to get it approved ahead of time.

Also please remember you are ENTITLED to 10 days TOTAL hotel stay in conus. So you could have 3 days at your old duty station and have 7 remaining for you new station. This is filed with your travel claim. You cannot claim the hotel stays while you are on the road for any part of this 10 day claim.

Know your Benefits | Military.com

CycleJay

Lagers,

Take it to a reputable diesel mechanic/shop in your area.
Tell them where you are going, and have them inspect it from top to bottom,
inside & out.
And if they find any issues that would endanger your journey, then have them repaired,
before you leave, so your M1009 and you can get to Valdez safely and without problems.

Good luck, Good night,

CJ

vinny-socom1

I say make the trip, are you going solo?? no wife & kids right....make sure your laptop has a charge and wireless coverage to contact your local SS member. Take your time and enjoy the RIDE because you will probably never do it again.

Vinny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks