• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show Me Your Campers!

koolex11

TWA, I did see that you pull it with an 09. That's a nice truck. Were you thinking maybe a fiberglass kit to build your shelter? My dad built a plywood sailboat and that stuff seemed pretty easy to work with, if you can handle the mess and the fumes.

twa@ezdn.net

Fiberglass is interesting, looking at all options at this time. I was also thinking about a sandwitch of 1/4"ply , 1/2" of foam , 1/4" ply, then at Home depot I saw foam core doors that are cheap and started scratching my head. We will see..............

A

A/C Cages

There is the plastic hollow core Hurricane board that you can use. They even make it transparent if you feel like being kinky. Its stronger then plywood and more flexible then fiberglass.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fiberglass is interesting, looking at all options at this time. I was also thinking about a sandwitch of 1/4"ply , 1/2" of foam , 1/4" ply, then at Home depot I saw foam core doors that are cheap and started scratching my head. We will see..............
HMMmmmm....
If just "SEEING" foam core doors makes your head itchy, are you sure you want to use them - - - Sleeping within a camper made of them might end up worse than CRABS !

54reo

This is where I have been living for the last 2 1/2 months. The wife kicked me out of the house over the last MEP-003 that came home.

(the real story is: I have been working 7-12's on nights, and with two kids under the age of 5, I decided to move outside to get some sleep. So far it is working rather well. I only have to come inside for a shower.)

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
Not mine, sold on ebay a few months ago, but I sure think its cool. Obviously not for the purists, but someone put alotta work into it
me and the wife have been thinking of building one every simapler to that one but out of or in the back of a m105 trailer.

koolex11

I like the idea of using plywood and 2X3's all around. Easy to work with, fix, maintain, paint and repaint. You can replace panels easily if damaged, add stuff to it like shelves and hooks, waterproofing materials stick well to it, it's cheap, available, etc. If you do a really careful job you can make it look nice, and you can always cover it with aluminum if you want. Just not sure about weight. I would want to keep it under 1300 (not including original box and chassis) so I can load it up with gear. I would have to do some math to see how much walls, roof, bed, counter, sink, windows, and about 2 dozen other permanent items would weigh.

Like I said, I'm a woodworker by nature, not that I'm closed to other options. I just haven't seen any I really like yet, and the comm shelters apparently don't fit in the 101...

koolex11

Hey Indy, is that a trailer bed on the back of your truck. Do you have more pics of that 4x4 build? i saw your album from when the truck (I'm guessing the same one) was blue. The avatar is too small to see.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plywood does hold up okay if painted. I've got a 58 jeep with a plywood top that's 30 years old and still there. Kinda of...

Here's the camper my wife bought.... Don't think she will let me paint it green!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks