• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show Off Your Bed Crane

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a Ruger Industries 2klbs bed crane, an Auto Crane econoton 2, and a home made crane from a 900 series tire hoist. Aside from the Auto crane's power rotate, I like the one I made from a 900 series the best.

gimpyrobb

Oh yeah, what are the goals for it?

I know a guy that installed the little HF one, added a 12v winch(to the crane) and LOVES it.

PWM

I would like a full hydraulic crane but don't have the money for one. I built my bed crane from a 2000 lbs. engine hoist and some scrap steel I had laying around. It has a hand crank winch that is very slow but powerful, one day I will replace it with an electric winch. I can also hook my chain hoist up to it for a faster lift.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Built mine from scraps and swivels on an old Deuce hub. Uses a 9K winch, has lifted over 2K-pounds so far with NO issues. Just have to watch the slope, gravity tends to take over on anything but level ground.

20140526_LVS_Transfer-Case_500px_01.jpg

gimpyrobb

I would like more info on how you guys made your bases/swivels. When I made mine, I just put some 2" round solid bar inside the tubes and I have not had many issues with it "getting away" swing wise. I will try to get pics of my other "manufactured" cranes to show how the brake works on the swing.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought of doing something similar to PWM but locating it where the tire hoist is like gimpyrobb's idea. That way, it is not in the bed.

gimpyrobb

Well, I used a tire hoist, but mine is on a deuce, so its located where PWM's is. Let me see if I can find some pics.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got one of the harbor freight specials in the rear of my deuce and it's THE most useful mod on my truck. I replaced the standard HF deathtrap hand winch with an automatic fwd/rev brake Northern Tool hand winch. I load and unload everything myself, I don't know what I'd do without a bed crane.

PWM

I would like more info on how you guys made your bases/swivels. When I made mine, I just put some 2" round solid bar inside the tubes and I have not had many issues with it "getting away" swing wise. I will try to get pics of my other "manufactured" cranes to show how the brake works on the swing.
My crane swivel is just a big tube with a top welded on and then the crane body slides over the top. I did make a kind of T handled set screw thing that acts as a drag brake or can lock the crane at several different angles. If the truck is not level when using the crane you have to be careful that the load does not get away from you, almost got crushed by some swinging logs. I have some ropes and pulleys I can attach from the crane to the truck to assist in turning the load or controlling it if it is trying to run away. One day I will get a powered crane and not worry about it , but until then this will have to work.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks