• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Show us your Military Trailers

820jeep

Sorry, I did not even look to see where you are. It is a very impressive rig. If you every get down to Texas come on by and we can go use class 3 items. Thanks, Bob.

derf

Ok. Another trailer question....M116A2 3/4 Cargo trailer. How does this compare to the M101 for pulling behind a M1009?
It is the same. The 101 is a 116 with a box on it. 116 is the chassis, 101 is the designation of a 116 with a cargo box. The A1 and A2 make a difference, though, A2s and A3s had surge brakes, I think. Also, there is a Canadian M101 which is smaller and different, 1/4 ton capacity, more expensive than the US M101s.

info:
M101 Trailer, Cargo, 3/4 ton.
M116 Chassis: Trailer, Cargo, 3/4 ton.

Oldfart

It is the same. The 101 is a 116 with a box on it. 116 is the chassis, 101 is the designation of a 116 with a cargo box. The A1 and A2 make a difference, though, A2s and A3s had surge brakes, I think. Also, there is a Canadian M101 which is smaller and different, 1/4 ton capacity, more expensive than the US M101s.

info:
Good answer. ~~ Sometimes the M116 gets a box put on it and it appears as a M101, but still carries the M116 designation. We have one of those. I bid on a 3/4 ton generator trailer which was also designated as an M116. ~~ The Canadian M101 is very similar to the M416 quarter ton. Interesting how expensive the smaller trailers are compared to their bigger brothers.

Pawnshop

That is due to several factors:

#1-the smaller the unit the easier it is for city folk to deal with (park in their driveway etc,,,) the same applies to jeeps

#2- little things are "cute" and it is in our DNA to protect little things (that is how babies survive past the diaper stage) the same applies to jeeps

#3- the 1/4t trailers (MBT/BT3, M100, M416, M762) have been out of the inventory for some time and, as with all milsurp items, supply and demand drives prices up, same applies to jeeps

#4- the M101CDN trailers have the added feature of rarity, there were (reportedly) only 1973 units manufactured! AND they are better built/more modern than the M416

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

info:
I recently learned that the Canadian M101's are a bit "beefier" than their US cousins - hence, more desireable.

Good answer. ~~ Sometimes the M116 gets a box put on it and it appears as a M101, but still carries the M116 designation. We have one of those. I bid on a 3/4 ton generator trailer which was also designated as an M116. ~~ The Canadian M101 is very similar to the M416 quarter ton. Interesting how expensive the smaller trailers are compared to their bigger brothers.
That is due to several factors:

#1-the smaller the unit the easier it is for city folk to deal with (park in their driveway etc,,,) the same applies to jeeps

#2- little things are "cute" and it is in our DNA to protect little things (that is how babies survive past the diaper stage) the same applies to jeeps

#3- the 1/4t trailers (MBT/BT3, M100, M416, M762) have been out of the inventory for some time and, as with all milsurp items, supply and demand drives prices up, same applies to jeeps

#4- the M101CDN trailers have the added feature of rarity, there were (reportedly) only 1973 units manufactured! AND they are better built/more modern than the M416
May I add some additional factors:

#5- MANY prospective buyers of these smaller trailers (MBT/BT3, M100, M416, M762) have ONLY a "smaller" (3/4 ton or less) pick-up, or even an SUV with which to tow whatever trailer they acquire. This essentially limits their choice to ONLY the smaller MilSurp hardware. Hence - The demand for the lighter trailers goes up while the supply is dwindling, resulting in HIGHER PRICES as compared to the heavier trailer options.

#6- Conversely (as to #5), ONLY those with higher capacity Civilian tow vehicles or MV's designed for combat loads are in the market for the larger trailers - M105's etc.. For many, the EMPTY weight of the trailer itself meets or exceeds the MAX TOWING LOAD for the vehicle they already have with which to drag around the heavy MilSurp stuff.

#7- There are more people who need to haul the lighter loads than those who "need" a heavy trailer. Let's face it, few "ordinary folks" regularly need to get 3000 lbs of Home Depot "schtuph" back to the ponderosa in just one trip - they typically dont want to put a lawnmower in the back of their Cadillac Escalade or Lexus SUV, so a small trailer is ALL THEY WANT. Therefore, the simple engineering expression: "FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION" is the formula applied to trailer selection.

#8- Dominoing off #7.... Reduced operating, maintenance and parts costs (i.e.: Tires and Weight related Fuel Costs) favor the smaller trailers AND depending on your state - Registration Fees can go up with Higher payload ratings.

There may be more factors, but these are a few I can add at the moment.

jarrettrocksvt

(I thought this was a brag thread for your trailers...Not very many pics recently!)

Instead of a bunch of pics, thought i would just do a quick video. I opened up the wheel wells to 48 inches for my ATV, Truck bed lined the inside, painted it black outside and made bows out of 3/4" PVC. Still trying to find a better method for homemade bows, because the 3/4" PVC isn't sturdy enough for the highway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwUoWYksIc&feature=plcp

jmhulsey

Willys MBT

Here is my willys MBT that I salvaged from a junkyard. Paid $300 for her. Course it didnt look anything like this. The lunette had been cut off and standard trailer tounge installed. I put new lunette on, a 416 style. No landing I made new one. You may also see that it sits higher. I sprung over the axle and those tires are 32x9.5. I do use this trailer for camping. I pull it behind lifted 78' Cherokee Chief

Attachments

Warwing

M101a Tarp Cover

Restoring my 3/4 Trailer I've had trouble finding an Orig. Tarp Cover. Does anyone have a lead as to where I can find one new or used?

Thanks,

Warwing

M101a1

I have the metal bows so I hoping to find a green or camouflage cover. As far as the original, I would like to locate a military issued cover for that type of trailer.

Thanks-

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks