• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Shuts off when i step on gas

CCATLETT1984

The third sensor that the new one doesnt have is the pressure sensor, its not used by the truck and was prone to leaking so the newer bases didnt have it.

Now that you have the new base installed, you need to do a complete air bleed procedure.
First disconnect the pink wire from the injector pump, then open the bleeder on the filter base and crank(in short bursts, letting the starter cool in between) untill you get no more air bubbles coming out with the fuel. (A piece of clear plastic hose attached to the bleeder can help avoid a huge mess).

Once that is bled, re-attach the pink wire. Now i want you to crack the injector lines loose at each injector (just break them free and loosen a little bit, dont take them off.)
Again you will be cranking in short bursts (allowing the starter to cool down, and you will probably have to charge the batteries back up.) you will probably want a buddy for this part, you need to watch the lines while he/she cranks the engine. When you see fuel seeping from a particular injector line stop cranking and tighten it down. Repeat until you have fuel at all of the lines.

Then I want you to remove the two small wires from the glow plug relay on the firewall (so the glow plugs cant activate.) and also remove the air filter pan from the top of the engine. Clear the engine bay of any rags or things that could get sucked into the engine. Get a can of ether (listen carefully to this next part) and spray 1second into each side of the intake and then crank the engine.

Its going to fire from the ether, you may have to give it some pedal to keep the engine running (will still have some air in the lines) but dont rev the piss outta it. Keep the rpm's as low as you can while still having the engine running smoothly. Once its running let it run for at least 15minutes to purge any remaining air from the fuel system.

TOBEXA

so i tried it twice and nothing.....everything pumps ok.......can it be bad fuel now?i thought it would start with the ether?how do i drain the water out the fuel tank if that is my problem?

TOBEXA

hey guys, long tome no talk...got a question/dilemma... m1009 truck started normally and when i went to drive in reverse it just turned off and will not start again. i tried spraying a little wd40 into the eng, but it does not ignite. just changed the fuel filter and there was pressure when i took the old one off. does that mean anything? also i put a tester to the glowplugs and they all work. i would read the TM section but it is down right now added 10gal of fuel also to make sure i wasn't out.

Last edited:

Oldsouthernboy

To help with the starting take a spray bottle with some gas, have a friend stand by the air cleaner, try to start the engine, when you crank it have him lightly spray some gas into the air filter, that will start the engine, to keep it running still light spray some fuel in the air filter, do not do to much all your wanting to do is to turn the engine over to run to help purge the air out.

kentuckycucv

ccatlet gave great Advice on bleeding the air out of the system. It should fire or attempt to start with your wd 40 or some either.... im wondering if your loosing power to your pink wire on the IP
Check that. With the key on when you hook up that wire you should hear a click.

kentuckycucv

Did you disconect the pink wire, open the bleeder valve on top of the filter base crank till fuel came out of the top filter bleed . Then shut bleeder valve, hook up pink wire, then start?
If you tried to bleed the air out of the new filter without disconecting the pink wire...you probably sucked more air in to your system .

mistaken1

ccatlet gave great Advice on bleeding the air out of the system. It should fire or attempt to start with your wd 40 or some either.... im wondering if your loosing power to your pink wire on the IP
Check that. With the key on when you hook up that wire you should hear a click.

Please don't use ether on these engines! (unless of course you just want to blow it up for fun)

Heed this warning:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/67012-click-click-boom.html#post802889

TOBEXA

one more question. my other truck starts very easy but when i gas it hard while ideling it will shut off. i can drive it around but when i let off the gas, it sounds like it wants to stall and usually will recover on its own and not shut off. most times it shuts off is in reverse.

jeeps1969

I have an m1008 here today with a similar problem. The owner spent the money to have the lift pump and injector pump replaced. Fuel tank is full and fuel filter base was changed. The actual problem is a hole in the steel supply line under the bed/ cab half way between the tank and the lift pump. It some times stalls when it draws air in the hole in the line (crack actually)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks