• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M915A1 Build Thread

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp's M915A1 and M920 Build Thread

Picked up an 1984 M915A1 off of GSA for $3,156.00. Listed as a non runner. Truck was used at the Oklahoma State University Ranch site so basically it hauled cows. They said it had not been started in 4 or 5 years. 140,300 miles on the ODO. Rebuilt as RSMS at RRAD in 2006. Originally was tan, they went with white.

Dropped 2 small group 24 batteries in her on a 40 degree morning and she fired off on the 2nd spin. Typical 915A1 pretty much. Not much noticed to be wrong with it at first except for the junky 11R22.5 tires. Nice shaking ride home the 533 miles. Noticed on the drive home that the heater blower isn't working and that the headlight switch gets hot which is typical. Other than that. Not much else.

Truck is equipped with dual air civi air ride seats that are pretty nice. VisionAire LLC air conditioning system. It has a pretty powerful blower but it does not have any temperature adjustment which is weird to say the least. AC does work though at least. Truck also has a single pole trailer charge wire which is a nice feature for if you have a winch on the trailer to charge the batteries. They also made their own battery box top out of some 1/4" steel plate it is nice and heavy.

Project build list:

- Paint to Night Mission green: Done 10/13/19
- Install rear winch platform from a 916/920 - Planning on Installing the light 20k winch from the front of a 5ton with a Yanmar L70 diesel motor to run the pump, Since the PTO's are really a pain to add on the 915s. This will be used to winch onto the lowboy trailer it will be hauling. Not near as heavy and as much crap as the normal 45k winch so it should not add much front axle weight.

- Front Axle air brags - cut down the bump stop on the front springs and add an air bag for better ride.
- Dual Fuel Line - Done 10/13/19
- Hi Flow Injectors - More umph.
- HT4B turbocharger - More umph.
- Possible 13 spd swap - Have the clutch setup, flywheel, bellhousing and RTO16713 that came from behind a Big cam. With that setup it would pretty well run high speed at low rpms.
- 11R24s on the rear and 395s up front to run while the Allison is still in it. If i do the 13spd swap I will run 315/80/22.5s that the M916A3s run
- Add a 55gal tank from a 931 - Truck has a side frame rail mounted toolbox between the exhaust pipe and the fender. replace it with the 55gal tank to increase range with a transfer pump to pump into the main tank
- Add a pyro, boost, dual digital voltage gauge.
- Swap Alternator for a Cummins/Delco Brushless 100amp 24v unit.
- Install Bussman 100amp interverter to power the 12v side using the single voltage alternator.
- Install LED tail, turns, and headlights will probably be JW Speakers - swapping to this should limit the heat problem on the headlight switch
- cummins 8D batteries.

Will update as progress goes forward.

-

Attachments

Last edited:

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good!

You might want to consider adding two mudflap mounting brackets to the driver's side frame ahead of quarter fender; that way if you tow a trailer that sits a little closer than normal, and you have to remove your mudflaps, you can stow the them there instead of having to throw them in the cab or strap them to the rear deck. Where the existing lifting bracket is, would be a good place to mount them. Just a thought.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see you getting back in the saddle with the 915 and trailer. Now you know at Uncle Jim's mobil home, high colinic clinic and used MV imporium we could have set you up on payment plans.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looking good!

You might want to consider adding two mudflap mounting brackets to the driver's side frame ahead of quarter fender; that way if you tow a trailer that sits a little closer than normal, and you have to remove your mudflaps, you can stow the them there instead of having to throw them in the cab or strap them to the rear deck. Where the existing lifting bracket is, would be a good place to mount them. Just a thought.
Solved. Two toolboxes now. Had that 916 box laying in the grass for years.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Winch mount installed. Try to get the holes drilled for the 5 ton winch tomorrow. The winch will sit down in the hole on the platform, instead of being up in the air like the 45k winches. It will have a roller on the trailer neck for it move over.

Going to also fashion a spare tire carrier in there somewhere next to the pony motor yanmar L70 and the 15gal hydraulic tank.

Also diagnosed a non working blower motor as no powe to the blower switch.

Also installed a rear window guard it didnt have

https://youtu.be/AZjc-XzonLo

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better do some measuring with that, I had the exact same plan, put a 916 winch platform on a 915, found out the trailer will hit it . . . had to abandon the plan.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Better do some measuring with that, I had the exact same plan, put a 916 winch platform on a 915, found out the trailer will hit it . . . had to abandon the plan.
Looks to clear with an RGN with the narrow neck. If not I can cut the end caps off the platform down some in the middle. Some pics that Red posted show alot of room with an RGN and one behind a 915 on gov deals as well shows it coming up to right where the fender flares at the top so it will be tight. But it wont be as tall as the 916 winch with the 20k winch between the frame on the platform.

It is also a 916A2 platform which is different than the normal 916 and 920 platforms which are taller by 3 inches on how it mounted to the truck

Attachments

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks to clear with an RGN with the narrow neck. If not I can cut the end caps off the platform down some in the middle. Some pics that Red posted show alot of room with an RGN and one behind a 915 on gov deals as well shows it coming up to right where the fender flares at the top so it will be tight. But it wont be as tall as the 916 winch with the 20k winch between the frame on the platform.

It is also a 916A2 platform which is different than the normal 916 and 920 platforms which are taller by 3 inches on how it mounted to the truck
I like your plan. Hope there is room for it all to work!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Problem is Wes does not think much of my 60 series with the little Allison four speed that is in the 915A2. Now if I changed that out to a Cummins and Cat 7155 I think we could have worked something out.
Not much on Detroit's period. One reason I fall short of wanting a HET or HEMTT. Not just your's James. I atleast called looking for a 915 series truck though but you didn't have any on the sales lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks