• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M915A1 Build Thread

Hammer

Btw, the double pto pump is rated at 22 gpm each at a high rpm.
Not sure we ever get an actual 22 gpm flow rate.
Kicking in the second PTO definitely speeds it up, but I doubt there is any pressure increase, so your strength while running a single pump should be fine.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't looked, but is the HT60 off a N14 motor a direct fit for the BC400?
Mine has a seal starting to leak, and I figured I would upgrade the turbo while I am at it.
And they can be CHEAP too.
https://www.amazon.com/Brand-HT60-TURBOCHARGER-CUMMINS-DIESEL/dp/B01LRAUVLY#customerReviews
Guess it depends on what parts you have changed. The turbo from an N14 was designed to work with the manifold on the N14, they have smaller ports, different outlet angles and the smaller ports on the heads. All this was done to increase velocity and make things start working faster, all for emissions and in turn, lower rpm performance. My guess is that if you put the N14 turbo on a BC 400, some had log manifolds, some the upswept type and some, if they were replaced, the pulse manifold, that was not introduced until "86, IIRC. THere might not be much improvement. Also note that the pressure fittings on the N14 were STORM, straight o-ring, metric and I do not know if the drain flange adapter for the T46a/b will fit the pattern on the N14 turbo, ASFAK, there was only 2 N14 manifold configs, auto/indust and marine. The N14 manifold will fit the standard 855.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Guess it depends on what parts you have changed. The turbo from an N14 was designed to work with the manifold on the N14, they have smaller ports, different outlet angles and the smaller ports on the heads. All this was done to increase velocity and make things start working faster, all for emissions and in turn, lower rpm performance. My guess is that if you put the N14 turbo on a BC 400, some had log manifolds, some the upswept type and some, if they were replaced, the pulse manifold, that was not introduced until "86, IIRC. THere might not be much improvement. Also note that the pressure fittings on the N14 were STORM, straight o-ring, metric and I do not know if the drain flange adapter for the T46a/b will fit the pattern on the N14 turbo, ASFAK, there was only 2 N14 manifold configs, auto/indust and marine. The N14 manifold will fit the standard 855.
Most of the big cam iii motors have the n14 manifold i have noticed. The big cam i i believe have the pulse unit

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I haven't looked, but is the HT60 off a N14 motor a direct fit for the BC400?
Mine has a seal starting to leak, and I figured I would upgrade the turbo while I am at it.
And they can be CHEAP too.
https://www.amazon.com/Brand-HT60-TURBOCHARGER-CUMMINS-DIESEL/dp/B01LRAUVLY#customerReviews
Ht3b and ht60 will be about the same. An improvement ever what you have which is probably a t46. An HT4B is the big hoss that will let you increase injector size and pump increase. The ht60 and ht3b are 1100cfm movers. and HT4B and hx80 are 1650cfm or bigger. Stock intake on the 915 series trucks are 900cfms. That is my next mod is an air cleaner swap

Hammer

Good info guys, thanks! I haven't started down this path of research yet.
Honestly, it kind of sounds like the HT60 or Ht3b will do fine for my needs, but I hate wasting an upgrade.
I don't just have an extra HT3b laying around like some others ;)

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
#1, Log manifold, came on NTC 230 up to the 335. Will fit and work on the NHC
#2, 91-95 N14. Low mount, will fit on the NHC, but the plumbing will be funky. Ports smaller to increase velocity thru the turbine.
#3, N14 Plus, Nope, will not fit on the NHC, note the mounting bolt angles. Small ports for exh gas speed increase. See the wide joints?
#4, Standard up flow manifold, this is what came standard on the BC3. The upgrade, even under warranty, is pic 5. Note the joints are thin.
#5, Pulse manifold, upgrade from the #4 manifold. The joints are wider to accommodate seal rings on the two ends to eliminate exhaust leaks for, a) exhaust leaks slow the exhaust gasses down...an emissions thing, b) exhaust leaks are a warrantable covered thing as per Ca. SO, Cummins elected to have it be a covered item for ease of warranty and, in 1988, Cummins went to a 50 state engine platform, this manifold was standard in '86, prior to that, there were CA. engines and 49 state engines. This was introduced in around 1986 the BC4 and New BC4.

Both 4 and 5 will work on the NHC. #2 was not an option on the BC3. Plumbing will not switch over due to the low mount, someone would have to "make things work" in order to make it work. It will fit, but not a good option due to all of the plumbing nightmares and, the turbo mount flange is vertical, ever try to re index a turbo after time?

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Casting on the rear manifold of my 923 BCiii was 3065024 which is lists for n14 855. I had to get a replacement front section and i took it off an n14 in Louisiana. looks like pic 5 as what you have listed as n14plus

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 and 5 use the same end sections, I labeled 2 wrong, saw that after I put the pics up. The ends on 4 will only work with 4, same for the log and 3. Progression time wise, 1, 4,
5, 2, 3.

There were some funky manifolds made for use in fugly trucks like Ford L series, Volvo W series, Mack, the manifolds hung the turbo very low and under 4-5 cylinders

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Rear roller from a 916a3 is temporarily installed. Will maybe bringing it in closer to the back of the truck. Just gotta refigure the pintle hitch for incase i need to use it. Left it in its present position as i need to use a towbar here in the next few days.

Being that far off the rear won't hurt anything really. Just the best place with 2 exsisting bolt holes already in the frame.

Few more holes to drill on the winch mount plates.

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a way to pin it on in the location you want and when not in use the pintle is accessible? Kind of make it pivot up into position and pin/secure it for use and pivot back down and pin/secure it when not in use or needing the pintle?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Is there a way to pin it on in the location you want and when not in use the pintle is accessible? Kind of make it pivot up into position and pin/secure it for use and pivot back down and pin/secure it when not in use or needing the pintle?
I think it will clear like it is just fine. Little off the back of the truck but it wont have any weight on it other than the trailer neck a little bit. The roller weighs around 300# or so. I shouldn't need to use the pintle much at all.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ordered some Unitruck mirrors off ebay. These are great mirrors that bolt in place of west coast units. Convex style so the field of vision is great. These morrors are heated. Great price of $56 for the pair with shipping from London. They are 24v heaters but no big deal.

Got my fan clutch control re wired and set with a selector switch for normal or manual on or manual off.

Swapped out some of the white light dash bulbs with some blue ones.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Do those mirrors negate the need for the small, round wide-angle mirror that usually pairs with the west coast mirror?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Do those mirrors negate the need for the small, round wide-angle mirror that usually pairs with the west coast mirror?
Yes. They are convex so the field of view is greater and about double the size of the west coast mirrors

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
welp. went on a shopping spree on ebay and stocked up on filters. 2 transmission filters (HF6243), 2 fuel filters (3399289), 4 main oil filters (LF3380 Microglass extended use version) for $100 all in fleetguard. waiting for the bypass filters to show up (LF777) They were $15 each. Going to replace the air dryer filter this weekend ($15).

Gotta get the heater mirrors wired up this weekend as well. Long way to run them to the fuse panel. Building an switch panel to tie everything into under the dash.

Ordered a replacement upgrade air filter (49140 outer/ 49141 innter) . Near same size specs as the stock unit (stock unit 2528/2527) but with alot more CFM rating. - Stock filter is rated for 1200cfm . Upgrade is rated for 1990 so this should drop some EGTs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hammer

#1, Log manifold, came on NTC 230 up to the 335. Will fit and work on the NHC
#5, Pulse manifold, upgrade from the #4 manifold. The joints are wider to accommodate seal rings on the two ends to eliminate exhaust leaks for, a) exhaust leaks slow the exhaust gasses down...an emissions thing, b) exhaust leaks are a warrantable covered thing as per Ca. SO, Cummins elected to have it be a covered item for ease of warranty and, in 1988, Cummins went to a 50 state engine platform, this manifold was standard in '86, prior to that, there were CA. engines and 49 state engines. This was introduced in around 1986 the BC4 and New BC4.
I have #1 on my BCI engine.
How much of an improvement would it be to swap it out with #5?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Air filter modification completed. Had to cut out a few of the internal fins. About 10mins worth of work. Massive filter cfm increase from 1200cfm to 1990cfm. I may even add an extra intake port to it as well

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks