• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Singling out the M35A2, best way to get same tread width?

saddamsnightmare

:p December 27th, 2007.

Gentlemen and Ladies- I really enjoyed the "How fast do you drive your Deuce" topic, most enlightening! I am quite sure that the LDT465 Diesels don't take lugging too well, but I suspect running at 80% of rated output would keep them happy.

NOW- NEW QUESTION ON OLD SUBJECT = Best way to single out rear duals to get same tread width as front tires using Goodyear Unisteel G177 M+S 1100R20s (all around)? Is it possible to use the supplied rims from the 9:00x20 NDTS and still get the same tread width when finished AS ON THE FRONT? Or do you have to change the back four wheels rims to some other type then the supplied units and studs/lugs? The Goodyears in single applications seem to have a higher load rating then the dualled NDT's per axle, and the word around here is that they are easier on fuel, better road tires, and better traction tires then the NDT's. Back in West Virginia the word was from the loggers- loose the NDT's for back country haul out, and on wet paved roads the NDT's can give you either religion or an early grave. We only left them on the barrel trucks used to haul barrels off the barges into the Coke Plant at Follansbee, W.Va., because the trucks never went over 20MPH and never, ever were allowed out on the road. The trucks in question were the GM M135/211's and they weren't ever the equivalent of the M35A2's in power or handling, and when they left the plant they were pretty much unsalvageable scrap after twenty years of hard work.
On the other side of the coin, HOW MANY S.S. heavy truck lovers have driven the Swiss/German 10.5x20 NDT with siping as used on the Unimog S404.114's? I have been trying to get new Continental or Firestone 10.5x20 NDTS for the Unimog, and I'm told I'm nuts to be driving them on the road. But back in June and July of this year when we had the forty days of rain without letup, I found them to be reliable road handlers and soft ground tires, even if they were noisy at higher speeds on the road. They handle road debris better then any tires I've used except for new US NDT's, and in Texas road debris IS BIGGER and BADDER. The idea here to handle deer as roadkill is to flatten them out and leave em on the road- that way TEXDOT doesn't have to waste time picking them up.

YOUR BEST THOUGHTS AND ADVICE ON THE ABOVE ITEMS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, and may all of you have a Safe and Most Prosperous New Years in 2008.

Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan
1963 Mercedes Benz Unimog S404.114 (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W

(N.B. : I'm still looking for a good military hot water heater kit and convoy lights for my M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare").

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Singling out the M35A2, best way to get same tread width

Yea,when you flip the rear hubs you change the rear hubs the same track width as the fronts.Just mount 4 wheels on the rear with teh hump out.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, flipp the rear hubs, use your wheels or better try to find M135 wheels (1" less backspace) and mount those 11.00R20s or any tube type up to 12.00. They will align if front and rear wheels are the same.
Unimog tires like the 10.5, 12.5 or even 14.5 need special MPT rims so do not mount them on deuce wheels!
G.

saddamsnightmare

December 28th, 2007.

Thanks again gentlemen for the superior insights, and, NO, I don't intend to use the Continentals or Firestones on the Deuce, I was just curious to see if anyone else had driven the european NDT's to compare handling. And yes, as soon as I can figure out the digital camera, I will send along picture of the Deuce and the Unimog. I am somewhat more at home with nineteenth century technology (being a blacksmith).
Regards and wishes for s Good New Years for all of you,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Rebelpride

So let me see if I understand this right. If i single it out, flip my hubs, use my stock wheels,
and put 1100x20's all around the back will track inline with the front.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my Unimog on the 10.5 European tread tires in the rain regularly and they did fine, I never had problems with traction. But of course the Mog is no sports car, so the driving being done was pretty sedate.
I eventually replaced the 10.5s with 12.5 Michelin XLs, mainly because they were cheaper and easier to find. I have not had any negative experiences with those in the rain either, though I can't say that for the same tire in 14.00 on the M813.

M1075

Rebelpride said:
So let me see if I understand this right. If i single it out, flip my hubs, use my stock wheels,
and put 1100x20's all around the back will track inline with the front.
Yes, it will track the same, but the track will be quite narrow, especially in comparison to the bed width. I personally think it looks goofy.

Attachments

Westech

CPL
On my Deuce I have rims off a m135/m34 with 11:00 XL tires and its not that bad. With the 11:00 tires and the 5 ton injection pump on my Deuce it goes just over 65 MPH at 2800 RPM. With keeping the RPM down you still can keep 55 MPH no problem. If you are going to single out a Deuce....Flip the rear hubs and use the M135/M34 rims or have custom ones made.