• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slant Hatch - Top and Bottom release levers pulled : ( Best way to realign?

DHumvee

Both Hatch Release Levers are pulled and the hatch is released at the top and the bottom. It's popped up a couple of inches and appears to be a little crooked. What's the Easiest and Best fix?
I have imagined everything from the struts launching the hatch through the roof of my garage to losing a of couple fingers and only then wishing I had asked you guys first.

BLK HMMWV

Ok
So I have to ask was the reason for pulling both latches?
And what were you expecting to happen when you did pull both latches?
Asking for a friend.
BH

Last edited by a moderator:

DHumvee

Ok
So I have to ask was the reason for pulling both latches?
And what were you expecting to happen when you did pull both latches?
Asking for a friend.
BH
So you actually have a slant back, are a well known member here and only took the time to write a sarcastic response instead of looking at my pictures and offering insight into what might fix a problem? I didn't expect that on this forum.

BLK HMMWV

So you actually have a slant back, are a well known member here and only took the time to write a sarcastic response instead of looking at my pictures and offering insight into what might fix a problem? I didn't expect that on this forum.
I didn't see any pictures when I responded.
I don't have a slant back any more for the record.
I'm sorry to have pushed your sensitivity button .
I will take a time out .

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my M1151A1, with the hatch raised in the back (normal access), I am able to ever so slightly push it left or right to adjust. I used this method when swapping out the hatch weatherstripping. My hatch also has forward and aft tethers attached to assist in closing or even slow the opening (but I wouldn't wrap them around a wrist). I would opt to adjust outside of the garage just in case those hatch springs still have some energy stored up.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLK is an awesome member. He has also made it clear that he removed his Slantback ages ago.

I have no doubt that either something is out of alignment OR something is bent. You need an assistant. You need heavy magnetic handles to lift the hatch up and out. You need to measure and realign.

These tops open traditionally or rumble seat fashion. Attach to the pins closer to the rear hatch and see if she will show you how to realign the pins to the frontward latching mechanism. The striker pins are all adjustable. Maybe a few slipped due to looseness. Mine were out of alignment, so I realigned the striker pins to make things perfect. These vehicles are hand made. If the hatch is not original to your rig, you might have some massaging to do to make it fit. Don’t assume that just because the hatch came with your purchase that the hatch is original.

There are differences between some hatches, with some being more square. Ensure you have the correct hatch. I am not sure about the different hatch iterations. I have an old M1025

Less close up pictures and more pics from 6’ away might help us help you.

Good luck

Last edited:

DHumvee

BLK is an awesome member. He has also made it clear that he removed his Slantback ages ago.

I have no doubt that either something is out of alignment OR something is bent. You need an assistant. You need heavy magnetic handles to lift the hatch up and out. You need to measure and realign.

These tops open traditionally or rumble seat fashion. Attach to the pins closer to the rear hatch and see if she will show you how to realign the pins to the frontward latching mechanism. The striker pins are all adjustable. Maybe a few slipped due to looseness. Mine were out of alignment, so I realigned the striker pins to make things perfect. These vehicles are hand made. If the hatch is not original to your rig, you might have some massaging to do to make it fit. Don’t assume that just because the hatch came with your purchase that the hatch is original.

There are differences between some hatches, with some being more square. Ensure you have the correct hatch. I am not sure about the different hatch iterations. I have an old M1025

Less close up pictures and more pics from 6’ away might help us help you.

Good luck
Thank you for your response. To clarify, the hatch worked good raising and lowering when I received it EXCEPT the lower handle was very hard to lift and unlatch the hatch. I wondered if the handle had been bent upward from hard use or had been pried. In a moment of genius on my part, I decided to see how a handle functioned properly without inspecting the lower handle from the inside ( bottom looks shut) and pulled the top handle. It sprung from being under pressure and raised a little. After dropping the tailgate and looking in, you can see that the bottom catches are not in the latched position. I'm going to pull it out in the sun and get some better pics. Thanks again guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks