• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave cable source?

I've finally decided I need a slave cable pretty bad.
Can anyone recommend a source for one?

Greatly appreciated!

ETA
Thanks to all the help on this forum I ended up getting an excellent condition 20 footer from Deuceman51 on this site. He has 12 footers for $150 but I decided I'd rather have the longer but heavier 20 footer. He has those for
$175. I was concerned about condition, but it arrived in excellent condition. Exactly what I wanted at a price
I could afford. Thanks to everyone here!

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wiggall here on the site had ends. I got one from him and was extremely happy. Might want to PM him and see if he has any left. When you get cable, make sure you go at least 25ft.

motomacguyver

You can get the ends on eBay from beltfed34, and make your own cable with heavy welding cable.

Yup, I was thinking the same thing myself. We bought an extension cord for the welding rig, and were thinking that some plug adapters would work. I believe the cable I bought was 8/3 by 50 ft long.

If anyone has any comments, that would be appreciated.

Nonotagain

Yup, I was thinking the same thing myself. We bought an extension cord for the welding rig, and were thinking that some plug adapters would work. I believe the cable I bought was 8/3 by 50 ft long.

The only thing you'll do with 8/3 cable is to set something on fire.

The smallest cable you want to use is 1/0 gauge, and then only in shorter lengths.

Cables longer than 20' should be 2/0 gauge or thicker.

mistaken1

Nonotagain, you beat me to it. :)

I am not sure if you are thinking of #8 wire but that is kind of small.

From this document:
http://contracting.tacom.army.mil/ssn/dsbs/NATO%20STANAG%204074%20APU%20Connections%20attach11.pdf

Electrical characteristics for connectors í~11ug and receptacle type).

(1) TYPE 1
(a) Operating voltage: 24 volts

(b) Suggested cable size: AWG 00 - 67.3 mm2

(c) Current. continuous: Cable assemblies, and connectors shall be capable of carrying 500 amperes at 24 V DC for a period of 15 minutes continuous duty.

(d) Current. overload: Cable assemblies and connectors shall be capable of carrying a current of 1000 amperes at 24 V DC for a period of 360 seconds.

(e) Contact resistance: The voltage drop across the contacts of the mated connectors shall not be greater than 250 millivolts at 500 amperes DC.

Last edited:
Years ago I bought custom (any color jacket with my name stamped on it) 1/0 from an ebay seller coppercableman for a great price. He's still selling and he sells all sizes of welding cable up to 4/0. I would recommend checking him out. Might be handy to have your name stamped on your slave cable so it doesn't walk off as easily...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You want to stay around 20-25 feet.....trust me on this.....those real long slave cables will eat your lunch if you have to carry them very far.

The armored unit it was in when I was stationed in Korea that had some that were real long......I guess they were used to slave off tanks if the wrecker couldn't get close.

M813A1

Yes Mark at Rapco Parts have the Slave Cables brand new for around $ 85.00 bucks !!
Or you can do like I did and bought the ends off Egay and went to a welding shop and bout 2 lengths of arch welder leads and put the ends on !!

SmokeyDod

REF these slave cables, I made a set for myself using the single pin version and I got the ends off of some Roto Impact tools that were not working and used 20ft #1 welding cable. However, we are having a MV show at Pickens SC this weekend with about 40 MV there. I took 4 vehicles up there and the slave cable in case anyone needed jumping. I found out that several of M35A3 have the 2-pin version. I found that this AB connectors have an adaptor that will let you plug into my 1 pin and other side has the 2-pin. Lady told me cost was about $40 & will let me know if she can sell it to me. Good idea to have in case you run into a diff. ver, of pin arrangement.

Nonotagain

This is the jump cable receiver I have on my truck. I was told it can be converted to fit the cable for the other kind but I have never actually used either one and don't know what needs to be converted.
The receptacle on your truck is the NATO version verses the older US two pin version.

I'm unaware of anyone making the two pin version cables since the NATO receptacle has been the standard configuration for close to 20 years.

SmokeyDod

If you will click on the link that "runk" has above, you will see that they offer an adaptor that has the 1-pin on one side & the 2-pin on the other. You can plug the std NATO 1-pin end into your slave cable then you can plug your slave cable into the 2-pin earlier versions. They told me costs is $39.00 ea. just this afternoon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks