• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slave Receptacle

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone's going for a certain era, a NATO plug doesn't work. Also, I've found the NATO plug kits to be a bit pricey.
If I can find my hole cover plates, I can send one of my two hole ones and replace it with a NATO style that I already have. I'm not worried about 'period correct', these trucks were used for 50 years, and the military upgraded them throughout their entire life as circumstances dictated.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The nice thing about keeping the 2-pin setup is a regular 120V trouble light with a 24V bulb will plug right in with a little push. Trust me, it will...

Very handy!

DG
View attachment 828118
Wow! That definitely could be useful...

Especially on the side of the road.
In the dark.
Changing a tire.

Guyfang

Staff member
Let me tell you a story about the new NATO plug. It can be installed the right way, and a wrong way. There were so many "melt downs" on Generator sets, due to not installing the plug right, the CECOM came out with an Emergency MWO. (Modification Work Order). Every gen set (Mep-802 and MEP-803) in the milatary had to be checked, and corrected as the case may be. The problem was that the Pos. securing bolt on the back side of the plug was at an odd angle. When someone foolisly tried to tighten up the Neg battery cable, it was more then possable for your wrench to be fully on the Neg terminal of the battery, and the other end to come in contact with the Pos. bolt on the back side of the plug. Not pretty. Saw the same thing on a truck.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Let me tell you a story about the new NATO plug. It can be installed the right way, and a wrong way. There were so many "melt downs" on Generator sets, due to not installing the plug right, the CECOM came out with an Emergency MWO. (Codification Work Order). Every gen set (Mep-802 and MEP-803) in the milatary had to be checked, and corrected as the case may be. The problem was that the Pos. securing bolt on the back side of the plug was at an odd angle. When someone foolisly tried to tighten up the Neg battery cable, it was more then possable for your wrench to be fully on the Neg terminal of the battery, and the other end to come in contact with the Pos. bolt on the back side of the plug. Not pretty. Saw the same thing on a truck.
THAT could make a really bad day for the machine and the attached person too! Definitely not good!

tobyS

I have taken several of the NATO plugs apart and they bring the positive way too close to the negative inside of it. I've noticed the tell-tale green powder of "leaking" voltage. It makes me want a main switch. All it takes is a bit of moisture to find a path. If they were not a new "standard" I would not use them, mine are disconnected.

Here is guts from a (female part) NATO plug. Black silicone can be put in to form a barrier and bring that over-surface distance way up.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I have taken several of the NATO plugs apart and they bring the positive way too close to the negative inside of it. I've noticed the tell-tale green powder of "leaking" voltage. It makes me want a main switch. All it takes is a bit of moisture to find a path. If they were not a new "standard" I would not use them, mine are disconnected.

Here is guts from a (female part) NATO plug. Black silicone can be put in to form a barrier and bring that over-surface distance way up.
Thats what we did. Black RTV.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks for the tip! I use alcohol and a small parts brush to clean off the green corrosion. Normally I use generous amounts of WD40 to prevent it coming back, like on battery terminals. I will be cleaning the NATO receptacle on my 934 and giving it coat of RTV.
I prefer the original two pin receptacle over the NATO one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks