• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow pulling a hill

I hit a monster hill the other day on my test run with Thunder on accident, not sure of the % but I thought I could pull it in 4th (I was sitting at about 1900) and boy was I wrong, down to 3rd still losing power, down to 2nd and just barely able to hold 1500 rpm, but that I guess should have been expected, that hill is hard on cars too.

What you've described though seems like a fuel restriction, do you know how long the truck sat before you purchased it? Mine was a bit of Andover when I first got it, after 2 weeks of driving it about 80 miles almost every day and changing the fuel filters after a week, it hauls rear pretty well now. Might just be from sitting, stretch the trucks legs for a while and then see how it does on hills
:driver:

91W350

Barrman, I am running straight #2 diesel with Power Service. I was running #1 or premium fuel on the way home because it was below zero up there in the Black Hills. I was fortunate in one respect, my tank was about empty, so I did not have much old fuel to mix out, I suspect now that all my tank had was water, a big frozen slab in the bottom of the tank. I have run about 150 gallons through it so far, maybe a little more. It smokes from a cold idle all the way through warm up, about 1000 rpm and really anytime it has a load on it. You can see the smoke rolling in the round side mirror almost always, unless I am coasting-compression braking. Glen

smgman

Thanks guys for your advice I am going to try a few things such as run her a bit and see if it gets better . Also will try the low range 5th then high range 4th shift . I will say I am a bit less upset that she will not pull the hills so fast with the replies I have been reading .

I was going over the truck a few days ago and realized I replaced the 2 fuel filters on the driver side but not the one on the passenger side .

I am going to get a Mechanical Oil pressure gauge first and check the exact oil pressure . Will then get the other fuel filter change and work on getting a Pyrometer before I start to work with turning up the injection pump .

Dragon I purchased my deuce from a surplus buyer he had 20+ deuces and I picked out the best one I could find so I have no idea how long it sat . I have had the Deuce for 2 years and she spends a good amount of time sitting between runs . I am going to try and start running around more .

I only wish I had the money to buy one of the many M35a3's that are up for sale local at Fort Mead Md. Seems they are selling 5 -7 each month . The A3's started selling 18 months ago for over 10K now they seem to go around 7K for a nice one .

Last but not least If I decide to re power the deuce what is the best option rebuild the original motor , replace with a LDS or a 3116 Cat ?

Thanks again for the replies . Great site with great people .

Jay

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You should be able to get close to LDs power with a tuned LDT. I would tinker with it a bit, they really aren't that bad to play with and you'll learn a lot about the motor. I thijnk the first thing I'd do is swap out that primary filter under the Alt.

smgman

Thanks Robb I have a new Primary Filter here at the house will work on that and going to go ahead and install my spin off oil filter conversion I picked up last summer at Aberdeen .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks