• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slow pulling a hill

I hit a monster hill the other day on my test run with Thunder on accident, not sure of the % but I thought I could pull it in 4th (I was sitting at about 1900) and boy was I wrong, down to 3rd still losing power, down to 2nd and just barely able to hold 1500 rpm, but that I guess should have been expected, that hill is hard on cars too.

What you've described though seems like a fuel restriction, do you know how long the truck sat before you purchased it? Mine was a bit of Andover when I first got it, after 2 weeks of driving it about 80 miles almost every day and changing the fuel filters after a week, it hauls rear pretty well now. Might just be from sitting, stretch the trucks legs for a while and then see how it does on hills
:driver:

91W350

Barrman, I am running straight #2 diesel with Power Service. I was running #1 or premium fuel on the way home because it was below zero up there in the Black Hills. I was fortunate in one respect, my tank was about empty, so I did not have much old fuel to mix out, I suspect now that all my tank had was water, a big frozen slab in the bottom of the tank. I have run about 150 gallons through it so far, maybe a little more. It smokes from a cold idle all the way through warm up, about 1000 rpm and really anytime it has a load on it. You can see the smoke rolling in the round side mirror almost always, unless I am coasting-compression braking. Glen

smgman

Thanks guys for your advice I am going to try a few things such as run her a bit and see if it gets better . Also will try the low range 5th then high range 4th shift . I will say I am a bit less upset that she will not pull the hills so fast with the replies I have been reading .

I was going over the truck a few days ago and realized I replaced the 2 fuel filters on the driver side but not the one on the passenger side .

I am going to get a Mechanical Oil pressure gauge first and check the exact oil pressure . Will then get the other fuel filter change and work on getting a Pyrometer before I start to work with turning up the injection pump .

Dragon I purchased my deuce from a surplus buyer he had 20+ deuces and I picked out the best one I could find so I have no idea how long it sat . I have had the Deuce for 2 years and she spends a good amount of time sitting between runs . I am going to try and start running around more .

I only wish I had the money to buy one of the many M35a3's that are up for sale local at Fort Mead Md. Seems they are selling 5 -7 each month . The A3's started selling 18 months ago for over 10K now they seem to go around 7K for a nice one .

Last but not least If I decide to re power the deuce what is the best option rebuild the original motor , replace with a LDS or a 3116 Cat ?

Thanks again for the replies . Great site with great people .

Jay

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You should be able to get close to LDs power with a tuned LDT. I would tinker with it a bit, they really aren't that bad to play with and you'll learn a lot about the motor. I thijnk the first thing I'd do is swap out that primary filter under the Alt.

smgman

Thanks Robb I have a new Primary Filter here at the house will work on that and going to go ahead and install my spin off oil filter conversion I picked up last summer at Aberdeen .