• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slowest deuce restoration ever

JCKnife

Got the winch cable on with the wife's help. She "drove" it (with the winch) down the driveway, the hook end on the hitch of my F-150. I was keeping the cable going in the right direction by hand. Went great!

cable.jpg

Last edited:

JCKnife

Latest pics...getting there! Most of the parts that are not installed are already painted. I'm into my 3rd gallon of paint and haven't touched the bed yet! Little worried about that...
IMG_0861.jpg IMG_0859[1].jpg IMG_0860.jpg

JCKnife

You get enough practice in, I might let you do both of mine no charge :) . Do you think you will be parade ready soon?
Not going to make it for Memorial Day; goal is to be ready before Independence Day. But the weather will play a factor, we'll see!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JC
Nice work. I have a 73 M35 that I'm going to start on this summer. It needs about the same level of restoration. What brand of paint are you applying?
JC

JCKnife

Today: using a small paint brush duct-taped to a coat hanger wire to paint over rust (with Paint Over Rust) on the inside of my doors. No pics because one hand holding the brush-on-a-stick, one hand holding the flashlight.

This is not a lot of fun but it's easier than finding rust-free doors.

JCKnife

Wow--haven't posted since May? Well, in the middle of summer heat and humidity I didn't get much done. Dove back in earnest over this weekend and discovered a setback--my turbo is leaking oil. I had previously seen some oil on the starter and figured it was dripping down from the manifold heater (which also leaks a little) but no, this is coming out of the turbo. It's also dripping out at the lower end of the accordion exhaust elbo, so there's probably some good oil in the bottom of the J-pipe as well. I haven't had the deuce RPM's up for...months and months, just in and out of the garage as weather permits. So maybe the seals failed from lack of use. At any rate, I have an extra turbo around plus a rebuild kit for it, so there's another project.

JCKnife

As indicated in other threads, my turbo "leak" actually turned out to be wet-stacking because the deuce has idled for hours but hasn't been out on the road in...years. aua So now it is a whistler for no particular reason and I wasted a lot of time. To rectify the wet-stacking I left it in low range and made a couple 25-mph laps around the neighborhood this past weekend, with still no top on, sitting on a folding chair. That was actually pretty fun. And here is some painting I got done yesterday. Next step: prep and paint the interior!

IMG_1819.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'm ready to get going on this again. Anybody know where I left my door hinge pins?
I looked but did not see them!

Not to worry, they are a marginal design anyway.

Use 1/4-20 stainless steel flat head hex bolts, 3 inches (better 3 1/2 inches) long, a self locking nut and two stainless steel washers. You can drill out the hole to 5/16 and use thicker bolts and you can also drill the middle hinge clasp and install a grease zerk.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

JCKnife

I found em! I had moved a few parts from my garage to my storage room. I did actually check the glove (map) box. Of course it's sitting in the bed...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks