• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SM465 swap in M1009

86M10086.2L

I always wanted a manual transmission in my M1008. And the Feeling hasn't changed since I got a M1009. I don't mind rowing gears, I don't mind the effort of the swap. My question is to those who have ever successfully swapped in a Sm465 in a 1009 or 1008. How did you like it? Or if you had a civilian vehicle similarly equipped to a M1008 or 1009 with a SM465. Did it wake the truck up? The truck just seems numb with the automatic. I love the idea of the granny gear. Especially with the 3.08 gears. Thoughts?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It probably would help on the bottom end with pulling. But on top end with 3.08's, you're still a 1:1 drive. I've had a many 465'ed civy trucks. But all were gassers.

Brett09

I put a NV4500 in my M1008. I love it. I have the 5.9l cummins in my truck so it apples to oranges as far as a power comparison. With the SM465 you could drop just over 100 RMPs at 65 assuming you still have stock tires. You signature says you have a lift in the works so I assume you might want to run bigger tires as well. The low granny gear would be great to have if that was the route you had planned on going. I have driven a similar set up in a civi version with a 350 gasser. I did personally liked the SM465 setup, but then again I like banging gears going down the road. I'm not sure on the length of the assembled TH400 vs the SM465. The cross member might have to be moved as well as having the drive shafts redone to fit. My 2cent is to find a civi version already set up like this with a blown motor and pull the parts you need. You can also cut out the trans hump and weld it in you your 09 for a stock look. Once your done you can sell off the unused parts and left overs and break pretty even.

86M10086.2L

I'm ok with the top end RPMs. I know it's still a 1.1 ratio in final gear. It's the low end I'm looking for. Plus I like the ability to shift when I want. Either shifting a little earlier when's it's cold, or in a scenario that I think we should shift when the truck would say otherwise. I just really like manual transmission vehicles and have always thought the 1008/1009 would be a uber cool truck with a manual tranny. My truck is basically stock right now. But future plans would call for a tire no bigger than a 33x10.5 or 12.5. I'm building more of a fun backwood exploring, camping trip vehicle than a hardcore wheeler this time. There's a guy selling a complete setup out of a wrecked truck. Tranny, transfer case, bell housing, crossmember, pedals, driveshafts etc. for what I think is a reasonable price. I may jump on it even if I don't do the swap right away.

cliffyp

I have a civy 6.5 with nv4500 behind it. I put a 700r4 behind my 1028 and I figured if I get an '09 at some point I would put a 465 behind it. I think that would compliment the '09 very well. You already have the top end with the tall gearing but the much lower 1st and even deeper granny low will provide the low end grunt that is otherwise missing. If you don't mind doing the work for the swap and don't mind cruising a stick, I would definitely do it.

Even with my limited knowledge this sounds like an awesome and workable idea! My only question would be if you would still have enough room on the floor for the shifter considering the location of the transfer case shifter. Other then that, I would say have fun and good luck!

Even with my limited knowledge this sounds like an awesome and workable idea! My only question would be if you would still have enough room on the floor for the shifter considering the location of the transfer case shifter. Other then that, I would say have fun and good luck!
There will still be enough room on the tranny hump. Civi Blazers had the sm465 as an option and there is a spot for it on the floor.

I'd love a manual in my 1009 for sure. I wish more vehicles came with stick.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an 86 Chevy M1008 look a like (sort of) 4WD, 6.2, 4:56 gears and I love driving it. No swap came from the factory with SM465. Did it wake up the truck over the automatic, don't think so but after reading this post I am going to try granny gear with transfer case in low range LOL.

cliffyp

I have an 86 Chevy M1008 look a like (sort of) 4WD, 6.2, 4:56 gears and I love driving it. No swap came from the factory with SM465. Did it wake up the truck over the automatic, don't think so but after reading this post I am going to try granny gear with transfer case in low range LOL.
Careful with that granny low and 4lo, don't give it any throttle and you'll still need to shift immediately. I don't think I'd want an sm456 in a truck with 4.56 gears unless it had really big tires, was used for a lot of crawling or pulled really heavy loads. Even in my civy 6.5 nv4500 4.10 gears I've only used granny low a few times, and never in 4lo, and my low isn't as low as the 465.

ChevyC60

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Careful with that granny low and 4lo, don't give it any throttle and you'll still need to shift immediately. I don't think I'd want an sm456 in a truck with 4.56 gears unless it had really big tires, was used for a lot of crawling or pulled really heavy loads. Even in my civy 6.5 nv4500 4.10 gears I've only used granny low a few times, and never in 4lo, and my low isn't as low as the 465.
I have not tryed it yet but I would guess 10mph would be top speed.

cliffyp

4.56 gears and 31" tires 2hi/4hi you're turning over 3200 rpm @ 10 mph in low gear. Put it in 4lo and your over 3300 @ 4 mph, over 4000 to get to 5 mph if the engine were capable of that high rpm without blowing up.

HalfaLehman

I put an sm465 behind the 6.2 in my 84' K10 to replace a dead 350 turbo. I love it. Its no speed demon but with 3.73 gears it will cruise 60-65 without screaming too bad. For a toy I would go with another 4 speed, but for a driver you cant beat an nv3500/4500. We have an 89' 1 ton dually suburban 3.08 gears, 6.2 crate with banks kit, and an nv3500 that routinely gets 30-35mpg highway!

colelkhunter

I have a sm465 in my modified 1009. I love it! It is a low speed truck in the first place. CUCV's are not meant to be speed demons. My truck has a nice lift and 37" goodyear wranglers. It will cruise at 60 with little effort. I recently drove it across country fully loaded and pulling an M-1101 trailer that was also loaded to the gills. Minnesota to Montana and I rarely had to down shift pulling the big hills. Now also imagine that I pulled most of them at about 50 mph also... Just my two cents but a sm465 is nearly bulletproof behind a 6.2 and if you get lucky(like I did) the manual you find will already be mated to a NP205 transfer cas and you will get the added strength and reliability in one pop. It was an easy swap and I opted for a hydraulic clutch setup. Tons of trucks in junk yards with every single part you would need for this swap and it was cheap. I looked at putting an NV4500 into the truck and honestly no more than I drive it and what I do with it, it wasn't needed. It sees much more dirt than pavement and I intend to keep it that way.

nyoffroad

I had a civie 2wd p/u , 6.2 with the SM465 and 4.10(?) gears pulled great but did NOT like to go over 60mph. It would but sounded like it was going fall apart.
With that being said a few years ago (about 6) I put a 465 in a cucv but ditched the 4.56 for 3something and added an overdrive unit! The really odd thing about the OD is that it mounts between the bell housing and the tranny! This allows me to 'split' all gears even in 4wd. I driven it up and down my street but never really down the road, hopefully this summer!
Trucks pretty much done now except the interior.
OH YEAH, I know some one will ask. The od unit is from a (IIRC) a dump truck possibly an old C-60? I got it from a guy closing up an old tranny shop, he had rebuilt it for a customer that didn't come back for it. I don't remember the name but it was made in TX and uses the same sycros as the 465.

nyoffroad

I really want to do this, guy with parts never got back to me so I guess my search continues.
Just keep looking, try to get a whole truck that way you have everything in one place. The doner truck does not have to be a desiel, it could be gas but then you'd still have to come up with a flywheel and they seem to be rare.

I am getting my manual transmission and transfer case tonight. Not for sure all the details yet but I for sure will be on here a lot soon picking everyones brains and reading threads. I do know it came out of a couple years newer 1 ton civi pickup that had the 6.2 or 6.5. Like i said i don't have all the details yet. I am looking foreword to this swap. Always loved owning a manual vehicle. I have only had autos for the last 6 years. My truck is 1984 m1009. The last 4 years I have spent cleaning up all the old connections with electrical system, straitening up the body a little at a time. Looks pretty good though. I get a lot of complements on it. Its not even near perfect but it looks like a lot of fun so I guess that is what is so attractive about it. What the future holds is Hummvee tires and wheels with bushwhacker cut-out fender flairs (so i don't have to deal with rust anymore) and a home made custom fit role bar for backseat passengers. Poooooosibly a 4" lift. Suspension does have to get updated soon for a little better ride though. Any suggestions out there for that. Best quality for a decent price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks