• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SMOOOOKE!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think anyone has found a civilian filter with proper flow yet! I use surplus filters but I'm running low for sure!

red devils dude

End 1 ID: 140.72 mm (5.54 in)
End 2 ID: 140.72 mm (5.54 in)
Overall OD: 259.33 mm (10.21 in)
Overall Height: 216.79 mm (8.535 in)
give or take 1/10 of a inch, cant wait to hear back about k&n filter.

Ugg013

I Done Do'd It!

Howdy:

Well, I went to Home Dept, and for the grand price of $2.34 (tax included), got me a 4" 90 elbow for the intake (I could have gotten galvinized for a buck more). I had to do something since we're having a heat wave (34 today and 53 tomorrow). :oops: The thing I don't like is that it's adjustable. I didn't see any solid 90's. Anywho, I painted it up and installed it. Has anyone else done this mod? :? It seems that the breather (?) will get in the way of opening or closing the hood. I'll probably have to soldier it (the elbow) in spots as so the it won't shift when I'm driving. :?

Later
Ugg 8)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ugg,
I started modding my deuce the day I got it home ten years ago. I think I'll make a list just for the heck of it in a separate post. [thumbzup]

Here are the air intake mods. The current one is the taller, which is supported by the crankcase breather vent, which runs through a filter first, BTW.
The original elbow air intake was a muffler item and it fit perfectly. It didn't get in the way when the hood was opened. The mushroom was welded to the elbow and it was held firmly by the same clamp that held the horizontal mushroom to the filter canister.

Bjorn

Attachments

M35guy

wallew said:
I ALWAYS change my filters over to K&N. Generally they make one for almost ANY and EVERY application. They are washable and they are guaranteed for up to one million miles. The K&N filter generally flows anywhere from two to three times the air that the regular filter does. It's the ONLY way to go.
K&N filters are CRAP on a turboed motor. they allow more large stuff to pass through, which with a turbo spinning at high speeds, will be the same effect as putting a razor edge on a bench grinder.

Think about it, which would you rather have, high flow, or GOOD filtration to keep that abrasive junk out of your turbo? me. I'd rather keep the turbo clean. the damage that stuff can cause to a turbo isnt worth it, and think of the damage the dirt will do to the motor itself too, not a pretty thought is it?

Ugg013

Bjorn:

Your current set-up looks like that rubber flex tubing. :lol: Is that a legit fording kit or a DIY job? Do you have another shot of it like looking at it from the exhaust?

M35Guy:

I'm not fond of K&N either. Maybe John from over at Intense Performance has a better filter. He doesn't use K&N's for his intakes because of similar reasons to what you stated.

Later & Thanks
Ugg 8)

red devils dude

M35guy said:
K&N filters are CRAP on a turboed motor. they allow more large stuff to pass through, which with a turbo spinning at high speeds, will be the same effect as putting a razor edge on a bench grinder.

Think about it, which would you rather have, high flow, or GOOD filtration to keep that abrasive junk out of your turbo? me. I'd rather keep the turbo clean. the damage that stuff can cause to a turbo isnt worth it, and think of the damage the dirt will do to the motor itself too, not a pretty thought is it?
this is get to be a pain in the a$$ there has got to be a high flow filter
that will fit in the deuce's filter houseing that wont alow dirt in to the turbo?

Rattlehead

Hey that PS article is great, need to print it off to show anyone who rips on me for modifying mine in the same manner. I haven't had rain problems, but did it because I was sick of cleaning snow and ice from around and behind the cap whenever I wanted to go for a spin.

Ugg013

Rattlehead:

I just installed mine (for the 2nd time). The 1st time I just used the elbow, but the mushroom rubbed the hood when opening or closing, so I put on a 4" extension to the elbow. Hopefully it'll all hold up against the vibrations. The elbow was one of those adjustable ones, so I used the trusty hot glue gun to seal up all the seams and clamped evertything togeather. :roll: Now that it's mounted and painted, it looks like it belongs there.

Later
Ugg 8)

rdixiemiller

Get Desert rat to post a pic. of his elbow. It is a muffler shop item, looks like it was made for the truck. I noticed a performance drop in my deuce while driving through a 2 hour downpour. I also noticed that I was soaked! Remind me to install the new windshield gaskets before next monsoon season.....
Anyway, upon reading the posts, I think my filter was getting wet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soooo, you got soaked eh? Now do you see why I think they should have installed wipers on the inside too?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks