• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snow Plow for M925

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After e-mailing S.S. member "autoshopteacher", who provided invaluable advice on a snow plow for the 5 ton, it became "necessary" to start this project for the 925 (aren't they all "necessary"...?).

Picked this plow up at an auction I won this week (11 foot, 2000Lb's, lots of rust....waiting for some TLC)....and look what was being loaded in the background:

a 1967 Deuce w/o bed!!!! I spoke with the new owner and asked his intended use for this old battle horse...."We convert these to monster trucks". I unfortunately didn't get his name, but they're based out of Oshkosh, WI.

Having fun!!:)

Attachments

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a "junkologist" wantabe.........I'm plan on doing this project with the M925 winch hydraulics. I've spent a couple hours looking though the technical manuals and can't seem to find much about the hydraulic valve body on the pump.

From what I can tell the valve is an open system at neutral. If so, the plan is to add a manual selector to shift from winch to plow:
[FONT=&quot]Metro Machine Selector Valve, 1/2in. Port, 20 GPM Flow | Machine Selector Valves| Northern Tool + Equipment

Add a 3 position solenoid valve for the plow cylinders control (switch between Left/Right cylinders and up/down with micro switch, control flow direction with winch wind and unwind shifter).

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Northman Fluid Power Hydraulic Directional Control Valve – 26.4 GPM, 4500 PSI, 3-Position, Double Solenoid, Closed Center Spool, 12 Volt DC Solenoids, Model# SWH-G03-C2-D12-10 | Power Solenoid| Northern Tool + Equipment

Add relief valves in main lines coming off pump:

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prince Adjustable Relief Valve, 3/4in. | Relief Valves| Northern Tool + Equipment

I'm not sure on system PSI (no where to be found in TM's) but expect it to be under 3000 psi (my Bobcat is a 1992 model 753 and it's rates at 2550psi).

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated (shock loading concerns? GPM shortfall to run 5" cylinders? Available valve set up that is plug and play with the Vickers pump to do this? Plain stupid to try this, go with a separate wet system?)

Thank you

Bob

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Three months later, and the plow is on the truck. I ended up using the M925's winch hydraulics for the plow's left/right tilt cylinders (they're 5" monsters) and a 24v Haldex power pack for the lift cylinder. It was a fun and challenging project. Thanks to the members who posted their plow pics so I had an idea how to do this.

Now to put lights on top of the cab (after testing the plow and driving around a little....I couldn't see a darn thing).

Attachments

flibob

Thanks for the thread. I am wanting to use the winch hydraulic pump to run a dump system for a 925 bed. Sounds like the Northern valve is the way to go. Where did you mount the valve?

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up not needing the Northern valve as I did a hybrid system. The trucks hydraulic valves are open at neutral, so to apply to a dump cylinder, you would need to swap out the valve (or add to) a closed valve at neutral (and I wasn't to sure how to do this with out $$$$ in the process).

What I found for the plow's lift cylinder (same as a dump cylinder) was a 24V haldex power pack (operates lift, closed at neutral to hold plow up, then open solenoid to lower). Here's a link to get an idea :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329764_200329764

They offer them in 24v. I picked mine up off of epay for $150 new (no wiring schematic, but figured it out as each component needed to be grounded)......hoses at tractor supply (used 1/2" which seems to be enough on the lift cylinder).

I considered looking for an M817 hydraulic valve assembly, but had no luck (this would give you exactly what you need and a whole lot more power using the PTO).

autoshopteacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job. I've used my M817 setup a couple of times. I use steel shoes and have done some "ditch digging" in our gravel road. I am interested in how your caster wheels work. My plow and mount added 3500 lbs to the 817. I have a 27,300 scale ticket, empty with full fuel and my carcass inside.

Last edited:

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job. I've used my M817 setup a couple of times. I use steel shoes and have done some "ditch digging" in our gravel road. I am interested in how your caster wheels work. My plow and mount added 3500 lbs to the 817. I have a 27,300 scale ticket, empty with full fuel and my carcass inside.
****......I was literally in your neighborhood a week ago (saw some clients in Bozeman and Gardiner).....and went hunting just north of that mega church in Gardiner (could see it to the south from our perch up on one of the mountains). And I'm coming back for "chico's"......best dinner/swim I've ever had.

Thanks for your help......plow set up came out great! The caster wheels are fork truck tires I bought off epay for $20 each, 1/2 cold rolled steel (I would use hot rolled steel next time.....won't warp as much when welding) with a 1 3/8" axle rod and caster rod in 1 1/2" I.D. 1/4" wall pipe. It works like a charm (I think I paid $100 for the steel for both.....and a few bucks for the 7018 stick used). The shoes on your plow could be swapped out with a little welding/fabricating (might need to beef up the vertical support).

If you would like, I think I still have the hand drawn prints I drew up (had a buddy of mine who is a certified welder help out)....let me know.

Montana is truly gods country. My clients love it there (they're originally from here...Chicago area).....and they ain't ever coming back.

p.s. I left two days before you guys got 13" of snow (last Tuesday).......would love to try out the new plow in that.

Danger Ranger

That thing is mounted way the heck out there...holy cow. Is there any way to tuck it in, and regain sight, control, and some weight?
What are you plowing with it anyhow? Must be one long driveway, or a huge open lot.
Don't get me wrong, it looks good, and strong, just a bit cumbersome.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3/4 mile long driveway (big snow drifts that laugh at snow fences). Between a Bobcat, Yukon with a Meyer plow on it....and a John Deere with a blower on it......this completes our arsenal for winter weather battle.

The plow is a quick disconnect (drop the lift cable, pull a handle and she's off)....... to redesign and build an undercarriage with the same would of taken more time and $$$ (I was able to do this project for about a $1,000). But ****, it looks cool. The moment force (static) doesn't change a whole lot by bringing it in a foot or so, and the dynamic is mostly on one axis with the caster wheels supporting the plow. This is a "put it in low , 5,000 lbs of ballast in the bed, hot cup of coffee......and have some fun" project.

Now if I had lots of time, endless resources.....an MK48 with an Oshkosh blower on the front.....that would be the way to go.

Danger Ranger

As long as you only gotta go forward and back....

I have a decent length drive (roughly 900ft), so I'm not completely ignorant here, but we get the heavy wet stuff from the great lakes, and when a pickup cant do it, a tractor will.
My 10hp WheelHorse will put a whoopin on the snow though....you outta see her eat. :)

Colinnewbrey

Hey Neophyte! i actually made a profile just now because i was looking for some certain tires, but started looking on here as ive been using all the parts from these trucks from years. First off WAY cool project! i love it. Then i noticed you're not too far from me, i live right on the IL/WI border and about 10minutes west of the lake.

And biggest kicker, those guys who bought that duece to build to a monster truck, I see them all the time and know them pretty well! i buy all axles, and special rims for monster/mud trucks...and have had close friends with collections of these trucks so we became friends with them. i can give you there info if you'd like!

- Colin

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Colin

Welcome to the site.

I just replied to your PM. There is a "tire guy" in Marshfield WI (Rodney)......he is absolutely the best guy I've found for our hobby. I purchased a 16R20XZL on a combat rim, delivered to my place in WI.....for a great price (tire is 95%, currently using as spare for the M817). I can't remember the name of his business, but it's the major tire shop in Marshfield WI.

Artisan

Neo I would love to see some detailed pics of the strategic mounting
areas and how you did it if you have time...

THANX for the Utube!

autoshopteacher

Steel Soldiers Supporter
9 Dec 5.jpgGreat. I put 5 tons of road mix in mine, chained up all 3 axels, waited for hard frozen conditions and now have plowed 3 times. Not really enough snow for this rig, but a lot of fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks