• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

snowplow

ohfisherman

any advice for installing a plow on a m1009? i have an 84 and i am installing a meyers. i just need to know if these trucks are picky on which battery to use or any other known problems. the only thing i noticed so far is that there are no holes drilled in the frame of the truck to mount the rear of the carriage.

mangus580

You will need to use the front battery.

The holes generally are drilled by the installer. I know the fisher setup I am working on installing on mine, uses 2 original holes on each side, and you have to drill the rest.

I presume you already have the plow? Is this a 'conventional' style, where the pump unit and headlights stay on all the time?

I am using a fisher 'Minute Mount' which allows me to leave the truck on modified by the plow install.

5tonpuller

Seen some FMC's with fishers set ups on them. Did not think about pictures cuz the Maj. was in a hurry. I think we are going back there soon and then I will get some. Was no cob job. Looked almost like the frames where made for it.

1stDeuce

As Mike said, you have to use the front battery, as it has ground common with the truck ground. Since it has its own alternator, there's no worry about running it down compared to the other. Just make sure it's a good battery.

The only holes that will be there already are the ones in the front of the frame horns, though you'll probably have to loose the shackle brackets to make it all fit. The hole or two above the axle for the kicker braces must be drilled. Be careful not to drill through the brake lines, as they're right behind the frame in that area.

Check all the bolts frequently if you do much plowing... I always had trouble with the kicker bolts coming loose until I added some 3/4" spacers and longer bolts, like the steering box has.

Have fun, plowing snow is theraputic! :)
C

ohfisherman

plow almost done...

well, i got the frame mounted. first off there is a difference between this truck and civilian models. the front part of the frame is cut a little different. i think that is because of the shackles and grill guard. i had to drill new holes through the frame where the bumper mounts to the carriage. the other difference is that the holes that hold the bumper to the frame are 1/2 inch. i seem to remember my k10 pickup having 5/8 bolts in it. . this could be due to it being ordered as a factory plow package. thanks for the advice on the brake line and also you could pretty easily hit the fuel pump on the passenger side when you drill if not careful. i mounted an older meyers plow setup with an e-47 pump. i still might try to get the grill guard mounted up but that can wait until later. lights and everything else works great so all i have left is mounting the pump and wiring it in. thanks for the advice and if anybody has any questions i am sure i can offer up some advice back. when you mount the four carriage bolts the factory gives you 2 inch bolts. you need 2 3/4 because of the extra plate steel up front.

mangus580

What year was your civvy truck?

I know on the fisher setup, it specifically tells you to drill out the 1/2 hole where the bumper mounts, to a 5/8

ohfisherman

plow truck

84 m1009 with 133000 miles. any 73-87 chevy truck rules in the snow. solid front axle, easy to work on, parts galore everywhere!! i specifically wanted another chevy to plow with and discovered the cucv's. i just got it two weeks ago. had to put batteries and a starter in it. ran great then stopped shifting. had to put a vacuum pump in it and now its running great again. i am a little concerned about the back windows fogging up but am looking forward to the short wheelbase. i haven't driven my 2007 silverado in about 10 days...i love these cucv's....hopefully we get some snow to have a comparison test versus my 85 k10.

Chevytruck

84 m1009 with 133000 miles. any 73-87 chevy truck rules in the snow. solid front axle, easy to work on, parts galore everywhere!! i specifically wanted another chevy to plow with and discovered the cucv's. i just got it two weeks ago. had to put batteries and a starter in it. ran great then stopped shifting. had to put a vacuum pump in it and now its running great again. i am a little concerned about the back windows fogging up but am looking forward to the short wheelbase. i haven't driven my 2007 silverado in about 10 days...i love these cucv's....hopefully we get some snow to have a comparison test versus my 85 k10.
I guess you cant wait for the FUN! :twisted:

mangus580

will post pics later. still trying to figure out how to keep the grill guard on the truck with the plow setup.
Thats why I heavily mod'd my old western setup that I sold this fall.

And... why I now use a Fisher Minute Mount. With the MM, I can even leave the shackles on when I hook up the plow.

JohnFire

definately would be interested in more pics on the mount setup. we are working on installing a meyer plow on our fire company's M1028. Where has everyone put the support bars that go from the bottom of the plow mount back to the frame? We are trying to save some money and are using the existing plow mount that was for a later model gm 1500, around a 1994.

mangus580

definately would be interested in more pics on the mount setup. we are working on installing a meyer plow on our fire company's M1028. Where has everyone put the support bars that go from the bottom of the plow mount back to the frame? We are trying to save some money and are using the existing plow mount that was for a later model gm 1500, around a 1994.
Its not worth the headache. The 'conventional' frames for the CUCV series are a dime a dozen....