• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So after 6 years of saving up I bought a BRDM2...

B3.3T

When I was looking at the BRDM's, I read that some of the units had the belly wheels taken out in order to increase interior room. The way they sit, they are very intrusive in the space and get lowered to make ground contact. I understand they are also chain driven, so a part of me questions how durable the setup can be, when propelling a big beast offroad. On the other hand, the Russians had to make their gear conscript proof, so maybe the chains are super sized and don't break?
Nothing wrong with chain drive. Ever looked in a transfer case?

BiffJ

You have to realize the belly wheels are not primary propulsion. They are there only to help out in places where the belly might otherwise drag on the ground or over other objects (trees, rocks etc). For that reason they are a pretty good idea and with the wheel base of the BRDM 2 you might find them handier than you imagine. There is a long stretch of uninhabited steel plate between those axles and it won't take much of a hump to drag. So the question of what you will gain by removing them vs what you will lose has to be answered. If you remove them you will also have to cut away the interior "boxes" and covers that house the machinery and wheels. Once having that done you will probably see that you aren't gaining much in the way of useable space. You'll still be limited to 4 or 5 people inside so unless you're planning on hauling marshmallows, small ball bearings or other compactable cargo you really won't gain much space. On the other hand you will lose a useful part of the vehicle and a wonderful conversation piece. ie - "what the **** are those little wheels sticking out the bottom of your truck?"
As far as durability there isn't much worry. You will have a bit more to maintain and keep clean. The chain will need to be washed out if you go mud bogging or at least run. The wheels don't carry so much load that the chain will be overstressed.

Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks