• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, How reliable is the M1009 vs. The Deuce?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After years of watching posts here, the problem posts for the 1008/1009 are probably four or more to one than for the deuces. Chevy cut too many corners designing the motor in them, and the gen system and glow plug problems seem to pop up a lot. It appears that if you got a good one, you are happy. If you did not, you are chasing problems often. Everything is relative. When one owns and regularly uses five tons like a wrecker, bridge truck, and dump truck, then a deuce, especially turned up, is a sprightly, seemingly small vehicle. It would have been nice if they came with power steering! Three cheers for those who own and love their Chevys! We are all dedicated brothers and sisters in the military vehicle vehicle owner's fraternity.
Regards Marti

Barrman

I have both and use them in different ways:

Run to the store= M1009

Pick up son at school= anything green

Drive to work= M1009

Go junk yarding=M1009 M715

Driving around the country looking at stuff=M1009

Pulling a trailer=M35 or M715

Pulling a big trailer=M35

Pulling another MV=M35 or M715

Taking the family somewhere=M1009 or M715

Going camping with the family=M1009 or M715

Taking my Boy Scout troop camping=M1009 or M35

Parades=M35 or M715

MV events=M35 or M715

Any vehicle more than a few weeks old is going to have quirks and problems. I held off on getting a M1009 because of the post on here about the charging/starting/glow plug systems. I have had to rebuilt an alternator, starter and a few other things. However, it wasn't any worse or more work than getting my M35A2 up to road trip standards and far easier than getting the M715 up to drive to town standards.

It really comes down to what you want to do with the vehicle. Will it be a back up daily driver? Does it have to be ready to go at all times? Do you plan to take it up into the mountains to stay a week and live out of it? Go on the MVPA Alaska tour in 2012? Each vehicle does some things better than others.

M35 multifuel is something you can throw any hydrocarbon into, push it off a cliff, jump in, pop the clutch and it will drive until you need to put in more hydrocarbons. A CUCV is something that will park in a normal spot, take you down the interstate without attracting attention and use about 1/2 to 1/3 the fuel as a M35. What do you want the vehicle to do?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ONLY own green iron. The wife has a Subaru that we bought her new. Six years ago. She's the only one who drives it.

So it IS all about what you want the vehicle to do.

And I'm sorry, I don't care WHAT vehicle we are talking about, YEAH, even CIVI vehicles...

If it's OVER 25 years old or older, IT WILL HAVE PROBLEMS.

That's the simple fact.

You don't want those problems, buy a new car and wave at us as you zip down the freeway.

I'll add you CAN pull the M1009 with an M1028A2 or A3 and the correct medium towbar. I have. Easy peazy.

N3VZA

My impression from reading this forum was the same as M543A2 - that the M1009 was not up to task, which is why they were discontinued as stated in wikipedia:

"All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to survive the hardships that the purpose built vehicles could endure."

Doc Bingo

"Well heck, what does she have it all set up for off road for then?? :mrgreen: "

She (THE WIFE) says " It's MY truck and It's to Pull the BOAT !!! not your piece of green junk ..." Ahhh what does she know ... she is just jealous !!! LOL ... on a serious note though ... I totally hosed up her front end (upper /lower ball joints, outer/inner tie rods, Idler arm, pitman arm, shocks, oh and the mirrors now rattle) ... But in my defence "The Green PHU_KER" was stuck ... LOL !!!

Dave87

The I guess if you pay for it and fix it and she drives it I wouldn't worry about it. At least you pulled yourself out. Its better then waiting an hour for your buddy to wake up and come pull you out.

mktopside

Banned
My impression from reading this forum was the same as M543A2 - that the M1009 was not up to task, which is why they were discontinued as stated in wikipedia:

"All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to survive the hardships that the purpose built vehicles could endure."
One thing to remember about CUCV problems is the automotive experience of the poster. There are many here that have VAST automotive and diesel repair experience, but there are many that do not. In fact, I would say that on average, the percentage of posters on this site that can give you correct advice on wrenching on your truck is far lower than that of "Hondatech" or "VWvortex". Most of the helpful posts on this site are made by a "core" group of people.

I love my M1009, and I love my M35A3. I have more confidence in my A3 as far as reliability goes due to the simplicity of the design, it's newer, uses commercial truck parts, and has 9000 miles on it....... However, I love my M1009 because if I don't check the brakes, or skimp on PM by putting something off because I'm tired, the worst that happens is I get some grinding or I have to call AAA..... I don't kill someone, or have to find a tow company with a 50ton truck.

The M1009 certainly isn't as reliable as a brand new vehicle, but it's easier to work on than almost anything short of a Toyota Corolla, and parts are as cheap as it get's in the automotive world. Personally, living in an area that has emissions inspections, being exempt from that BS is worth anything that fails on it.

ONTOS66

A few thoughts:

1. If it is green - get it - you'll enjoy it - you deserve it - save it (them) from a scrap heap

2. If stuck in the mud it is best to keep the recovery vehicle on dry land. To illustrate:

in Vietnam my platoon leader (yes, a Lieutenant) decided that a road might be mined (although wheeled vehicles were using it) so he had our Ontos platoon drive through a rice paddy. You can't appreciate what a brilliant idea that was until you've actually been in one. Vehicle #1 went in a ways and stuck, so he sent vehicle #2 to pull it out - also stuck. So he sent vehicle #3 to get 1 and 2 - also stuck. After wasting a tremendous amount of time (and getting all of us covered with mud (and other matter best not explored) we ended up with 4 vehicles cabled to each other and stuck and finally hooked up vehicle #5 which was on dry land to help the other 4 back out of the mess. Could have been accomplished much easier by connecting the tow cables together to get vehicle #1 out of the mess in the first place. Ah Lieutenants .. the stories I could tell. :)

3. The CUCV family (I'll include the M880 and M715) were modified civilian vehicles ... Civilian Utility Cargo Vehicles. None lasted for very long in service (I won't tell you what we did to a poor M1009 belonging to a Chaplain while doing recon on a tank range - it had never been off pavement before). I've got an M1009 and M1028 and I'm happy with both - even with the occasional snafu with the 24 volt system or so-so diesel, etc. They don't compare to a PURPOSE BUILT vehicle, eg. a duce which was built from the ground up to mil spec, not a civvy car that was modified. Big difference in the vehicles and the purchase price. The COTS (civilian off the shelf) program, such as CUCV, was a cost saving program to save a few bucks on items that didn't need to be totally bomb proof but could do a job. Not always successful - what government program has been - but the concept is sound - just a tad weak in the execution some time.

4. If the budget can handle it, and the spouse will tolerate it, and you have sufficient parking - get er done!

5. I thought it would be really cool to have one each of the M1009, 1010, 1008, etc. trucks and variants. Would that make a cool display at an MV show or in a parade? Trying to figure out how I'm going to add an M1028a2/3 dually to my inventory.

Anyway - green iron is cool, historical, patriotic, a pretty good deal for the price, and a heck of an accomplishment if you can restore some of the older stuff. Jump in and have a great time!!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5. I thought it would be really cool to have one each of the M1009, 1010, 1008, etc. trucks and variants. Would that make a cool display at an MV show or in a parade? Trying to figure out how I'm going to add an M1028a2/3 dually to my inventory.
Got two M1009's. I had an M1031. Sold it and bought a great M1028A2. Next up will be an M1010. Then eventually an M1008 and the M1031 again.

Preston, to answer your question as to how? MONEY. And time. Though I have little of the former, I have loads of the latter. So I wait and watch and when my money exceeds my time, I spend some money. Then start waiting again.

ONTOS66

Wallew: My BIG problem is SPACE - my neighbors have sicked the town on me once already. Unfortunately I have a small residential lot and all my neighbors as well as the general public can view whatever I have parked in the driveway. I gotta get out of New Jersey!!!!!!!

When I retire I'm getting a large piece of rural property with a small house and a big barn! :-D

Oh yeah, and another Doberman or two or .... !!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks