• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought an M38A1... w/pics

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have wanted a Jeep for a long time, but other toys got in the way....

A while back, Ron (73M819) told me of an M38 he knew of that was clean and a fair price. He had misplaced the # but said he would find it. Well, the other day I happened to ask him and he said he had found it. I called the owner, a very pleasant and bright Jeep enthusiast by the name of Jim who told me all about it and said I could come look at it. He said he wasn't actively trying to sell it but he would sell it to someone who was going to give it a good home and restore it. He didn't want it to go to someone who was gonna hack it up and turn it into a rock crawler or something similar.

I went to go look at it last Saturday and was impressed by it's lack of modifications and rust. It is reasonably complete and almost 100% original under the hood. It doesn't look like it's ever been in an accident either. it was buried in the back of the barn, so I couldn't recover it that day, even though I had the dually and the trailer with me. We made a plan to come back today and pick it up. BFR said he wanted to come along and he'd meet us there-I had no idea he was going to drive his Deuce, but it paid off..... check the pics below.

My plan is to get it running (just so I don't have to push it around) and let it hibernate in the garage until I get my shop built and can do a proper restoration. Getting my shop built, then getting the Deuce painted and finishing my '69 Satellite come first.

I need to say thanks here.......... several people made this possible and helped me in significant ways.....

Thanks to Ron for putting me into contact with the owner.
Thanks to Maccus for all his help........
Thanks to Blake and BFR and L7 for all their M38A1 advice on what to look for
Thanks to my friend David, who always helps me, regardless of how absurd my request it. In this instance, he lent me his beautiful Dodge Dually and trailer for several days and came along with us today to help us in the recovery.
Thanks to my beautiful girlfriend for being the official photographer.

Yes BFR, we did end up at Wendy's for lunch.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Very Nice Clint!
Now you have Jeep fever as well, it was that fever that led to OD fever for me. It looks really good and I am sure you will find it taking priority over the MOPAR project since it is so fun to drive such a small vehicle. I used to drive my old CJ3B through places people didn't think I could to include between trees and road blocks to off road trails.

Good recovery more pictures please.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
More......

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
more...

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pics! Thanks for the extra effort to share this event with us! I certainly enjoy it.

sak00

Very nice Clinto!!!!!! I agree with David though, that MOPAR just took a back seat to the Jeep. From one Jeep guy to another....Only in a Jeep.

alphadeltaromeo

Betcha it'll be under a tarp in the garage :twisted: what...what...rdixiemiller aint here to say it :roll:

Looks like an excellent find! Way to go BFR in supporting your fellow SS'er!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mike_Pop said:
Where is that overhaul tag located? I'll have to check my M38A1 and see if it has one.
On top of the fuel/air pump.

tjcouch

Heh - I count 6 guys present for the load-up. . . . . . you all could have just picked it up and placed it on the trailer by hand! LOL

Great find! Look forward to watching the progress.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks