• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So I bought an M38A1... w/pics

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Jeeps Jeeps Jeeps

Having a Jeep is just as addictive as a duece or five ton. It always seems that I reget selling any of the previous ones so I have kept most of them. These two are on the restore list I just have to stop getting deployed.

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
Thanks alot Fuzzy butt fruit boy....now you got me looking at jeeps.I contacted 2 people about jeeps.one is a 64 Military jeep as they put it and the other is a 1945 Willys.Keep your pictures to yourself.......

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I got it running last night…….

On Sunday, I bought a couple of cheap batteries for it, threw them in, poured a hair of gas in the cab and tried to fire it off. Got nothing and I had run out of light.

Monday night, I came home and pulled a plug wire to see if I had spark. Nothing. Started working my way back to the distributor. The primary lead wire (#12) had no juice at the distributor, but about that time, I ran out of light again.

Last night, I started working my way back from the switch to the distributor. Switch had 24V at the supply side, turned it on and it had power on both poles. Followed #12 from the switch to a bad connection. Fixed connection, went back to distributor, checked for power, bingo.

I didn't bother pouring any more gas down the carb, I figured I'd just try it out as is. I have bypassed the fuel tank with a small 2 gallon can because the gas tank is nothing but varnish.

I hopped in it, armed the ignition circuit, hit the foot start and…….nothing.

So I hop out and grab a spark plug wire tester (plugs in between a plug and wire and lights up) and kind of jerry rigged it in to see if I had fire at the plugs.

But since I was alone, I had to leave my left foot on the ground and wiggle my right foot waaay under the dash to start it. So with my neck strained to see the tester, I hit the switch and sure enough, the darned thing starts!

So I shut it off, removed the tester, screwed the plug wire back on, set up the camera for you jokers and let it rip. In the video posted below, it's on high idle from the choke. It quit when I ran it out of gas……..

It has a mild miss in it (audible in the video), I think it has a fouled plug. But it has 40 lbs of oil pressure, all the gauges work, the generator charges and it has no leaks.

More progress later this week, stay tuned

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3795909545038010180

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finally...with the help of a couple of friends, we got it in the garage.

Now the fun begins, brake rebuild, carburetor rebuild, etc. Will keep you updated.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We bought another one....... we need help

Oh man....................

So a couple weeks ago, clinto g/f saw an M38A1 on craigslist. Obviously a parts donor and not a resto candidate, it had some goodies I thought I could use and the price was right. So BFR (my trusty sidekick/brother-in-arms) came down to my house today with his Jeep and a borrowed trailer and we went down to recover it.

Not much to tell, it's an M38A1 that somepne hacked a '68 Ford 302 and Saginaw power steering into. Tub is full of rust and fiberglass, all tranny and transfer levers are locked up, all the 24V stuff is gone....so it's a typical ex-military Jeep rofl

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good save on that M38A1. Despite the fact that it's not restorable, lots of good parts on it to supply other jeeps with. That body tub looks okay - you might see if you can pawn it off to the guys at g503.com. Those guys are into restoring original body tubs; I have seen some threads over there where they took decent tubs with bondo and fiberglass issues, and cut, weld and tack it until it is a usable and original tub.

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
That first Jeep sounds sweet, Clinto....well, it will once you replace a couple of plugs and the muffler, anyway. Congrats on the second Jeep, too. I wish I had a G/F who finds green stuff for me! You gotta stop going to Wendy's, though. It looks like every time you get a burger, you end up with more green stuff! ;)

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I got some work done on the parts Jeep today............................

I got fenders off and the tub pulled. The tub and fenders are going to BFR so he can use them to restore his M170.

The rest of the Jeep is going to eBay or supplying parts for my Jeep. I've grabbed the M38A1 windshield, rear seat mounts, the fording intake blockoff plate, rear tow hooks, jerry can bracket and spacers, etc.

Man, I can't believe how lightweight this stuff is compared to the Deuce!!!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks