• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, I've never actually had 2.5tons on the truck before.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

So this weekend I'm going to get some dirt for my brother and I've never driven a vehicle 2.5-3.0tons of dirt on it before. So I'm curious should I start off in first gear, low range even on pavement or should I just use the high range? I was thinking that low-range might be called for when hauling this sort of operation. I consulted the operators manual it is a bit ambiguous as to what sort of terrain since the dirt place will probably be hard-packed I'm not really sure if I need to go into the low-range, but I figure that it cannot hurt and since I **** to about third in low get up to 12mph and than shift into high range to keep the load moving and shift like normal from then on out until I stop of course and in than repeat process. Am I being too careful should I just put in high-range and watch the clutch riding and go for it?

thanks for the tips.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1st gear tranny, high range transfer.

Only time I have ever had to go all the way to compound low was when I filled the bed with gravel. Didn't realize how much weight I had. it was the only time I have ever seen the rear springs compress.

But you'll know if it's right. You can tell if the truck is straining.......

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No reason not to use low 1st. Just shift up through the gears and once you top out rpm wise, pull the Tcase lever up and shift to 4th and then 5th.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I towed my M146 on a dolly behind my m35, it was 39,000lbs combined.

I just started in low, and wound up to 3rd low, then to 3rd high, then 4th and 5th. If I remember right

But you will be fine in 1st high. Remember, these trucks are designed for 10,000 highway load. Transfer low was manly for offroad work. Or going over other vehicles in traffic...;-)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Three tons will barely fill the bed up halfway on the tailgate. I've had mine full to the top of the metal sidewalls and the only difference in driving was that the rear didn't bounce as much. Well... maybe it took a tad longer to stop, but that's about it.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use low if you want but that's a lot of quick shifting, I think you'll be fine in high. I have a 1100 gallon tank in the back of one of my deuces that I fill with water from a pond and water the horse pasture and I usually put it in low and let it idle at a slow speed. Well last night I forgot I had it in high and I was able to take off in 1st gear high range without touching the gas pedal. 1100 gallons of water is, what, 8800 lbs??

tjcouch

I keep a ton of water in the back of mine now, in a 250 gallon tank . . . .just so that the truck rides nicer. Otherwise I would not even know it is there.

Once had 4 tons of rock in the back, still did not use low.

have towed a 5 ton loader in a two ton trailer . . . still in high.

Of course I live where the only things on the topo maps are speed bumps. :wink:

armytruck63

Here is a method that someone taught me. It is not flat where I live.

CAVEAT: DO NOT skip first gear on a sprag clutch (non-air **** front axle engagement) truck.

Start out in either first or second gear low range, first-low is super low.

Shift through the gears as usual until you reach about 25 to 27 MPH in fifth-low.

Push in the clutch, shift transfer to high range and immediately shift the transmission into fourth gear. You are now in fourth-high.

Shift to fifth-high when you reach about 44 MPH.

The process can be reversed for downshifting, but always shift the transfer case first, then the transmission.

Remember that the transfer cases on these trucks can be shifted in motion, unlike a jeep or CUCV. Think of the transfer case as a two-speed auxilary transmission.

Remember, do not skip first if you do not have air shift.

I haven't tried this on a gasser with a direct-fifth, but it would probably work also.

Try this and see how you like it :-D

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Here is a method that someone taught me. It is not flat where I live.

CAVEAT: DO NOT skip first gear on a sprag clutch (non-air **** front axle engagement) truck.

Start out in either first or second gear low range, first-low is super low.

Shift through the gears as usual until you reach about 25 to 27 MPH in fifth-low.

Push in the clutch, shift transfer to high range and immediately shift the transmission into fourth gear. You are now in fourth-high.

Shift to fifth-high when you reach about 44 MPH.

The process can be reversed for downshifting, but always shift the transfer case first, then the transmission.

Remember that the transfer cases on these trucks can be shifted in motion, unlike a jeep or CUCV. Think of the transfer case as a two-speed auxilary transmission.

Remember, do not skip first if you do not have air shift.

I haven't tried this on a gasser with a direct-fifth, but it would probably work also.

Try this and see how you like it :-D
I have an air-shift truck but I never shift out of pattern. I always start in first and work my way through the pattern. And i was aware of being able to shift the transfer case on the fly. I like that method it sounds like a good way to maximize the use of the transmission and the brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks