• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, I've never actually had 2.5tons on the truck before.

tm america

2.5 tons you wont even notice its there start in second in high .wont need to use first till you get over 5 tons on there i fill mine up over the troop seats with gravel and can start in second in high unless on a hill

kurtkds

I had 4.8 tons of 5/8 crushed rock in mine last Saturday and the only time I put the transfer case in low was pulling a long grade. And that was transfer case in low running 4th and 5th gear to keep me at 30-35 mph.

The scale at the quarry was showing 23,640 Pounds..:oops:

I did have a winch for the Deuce sitting in the back of the truck that I had picked up earlier in the day so that's why I was over weight... LOL

Rolling_Eudaimonia

So I got the truck loaded to about 3.7-4.0cu yards of clay that was unfortunately wet. Perhaps too wet and too heavy. The truck was fine accelerating but decelerating the truck kinda shimmed as the rpms dropped perhaps I didn't shave enough speed off but I think the truck was lacking power to haul the load properly... Still the truck made it 30miles up grades down grades at 50-53mph no problem...

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Driving a large truck does not come from a book or another person's thoughts.
You use what gear is best for the truck to limit clutch wear and ease drive train jolt.
I can haul 2 1/2 ton of hay and use 2 low 3 low 3 high 4 high 5 high.
I also do this without a load to get up to speed quick as you only shift 5 times.
Check the dash chart and you will see your ground speed will be faster with 5 shifts than 6 shifts.
Remember you drive the truck it does not drive you.

Last edited:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Driving a large truck does not come from a book or another person's thoughts.
You use what gear is best for the truck to limit clutch wear and ease drive train jolt.
I can haul 2 1/2 ton of hay and use 2 low 3 low 3 high 4 high 5 high.
I also do this without a load to get up to speed quick as you only shift 5 times.
Check the dash chart and you will see your ground speed will be faster with 5 shifts than 6 shifts.
Remember you drive the truck it does not drive you.
It only shook when down-shifting... shifting through the gears up was fine. I used 1-3low and shifted from 3low to 3high hit 27mph and then went through the gears 4H-5H. The shifting from fifth to fourth was okay, and even 3rd was okay but going to second it shook a bit. Not much and I was keeping the truck in the correct 1400-1800rpm range for downshifting.

The truck was alot more responsive than I thought it was doing 50-53mph in fifth high up some nice grades. It didn't smoke much at all except when accerelating up the hills, and was not so bad on the fuel consumption.

I need to practice more with weight on it. I usually drive it around empty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks