• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So this just happened...

Artisan

How about a Female Hose Thread X 3/8" Compression adaptor.
( You will probably have to "make that up" )

Screw that onto the end of a garden hose then connect a piece of 3/8"
spaghetti copper. Get creative w/ what you got laying around. I
do not know how much damage you could do if it is already filled
or part way filled w/ yuck.

I might get after it that way then just tap the starter a few times to
rotate things and do it all over again.

Unless there is an inspection plate then just pull that and do what ya gotta do.

Look at it on the bright side,
Your going to learn a LOT more about you truck now!

ke5eua

How about a Female Hose Thread X 3/8" Compression adaptor.
( You will probably have to "make that up" )

Screw that onto the end of a garden hose then connect a piece of 3/8"
spaghetti copper. Get creative w/ what you got laying around. I
do not know how much damage you could do if it is already filled
or part way filled w/ yuck.

I might get after it that way then just tap the starter a few times to
rotate things and do it all over again.

Unless there is an inspection plate then just pull that and do what ya gotta do.

Look at it on the bright side,
Your going to learn a LOT more about you truck now!
Defiantly true on the learning part.

You know, if this was any ground based weapon system, a m1, or 88 I wouldn't be asking questions, got all that in memory.

Jeepsinker

You can fill from the side. I wouldn't remove the top cover if you don't have to. Socket sizes should be a 4 7/8 and a 4 3/8. No need for a deep socket, just regular 8 POINT axle nut sockets.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i just seen this post.. sorry about my inbox filled. ill delete tonight... dont forget you have to use gl-1 or gl-5 gear oil in everything... that was a sticky place for sure that you got into. glad your out and now the clean up will take place

ke5eua

You can fill from the side. I wouldn't remove the top cover if you don't have to. Socket sizes should be a 4 7/8 and a 4 3/8. No need for a deep socket, just regular 8 POINT axle nut sockets.
No problem. Will get it done this weekend. Might hit up some 4x4 shops around Baton Rouge and see if they have any seals, wiper, and cork gasket for the Rockwells and possibly the cv boot

Jeepsinker

why do you put so much grease in there ? all that grease comes over time as you you,s a grease gun. you pack them like any other truck.
Next time you have a front axle shaft out, look carefully at the u-joint. There are no grease seals on the joints. The joints lube themselves by being forced through the grease. If you pack the knuckle really well and then install the shaft and then turn it by hand you can see plainly how the shaft ears themselves funnel the grease directly to the u-joint caps. That is why I pack my knuckles, I don't want to replace joints if I don't have to. As far as the rear hubs go, there are no grease zerks to grease the hubs with, so it's best to grease them well while they are apart.

RAYZER

What about rotella or royal purple synthetic gear oil in both?
Any brand will work and synthetic is way exspensive.
If you had a wheel dolly you could skip pulling wheels and just pull the axles (rear) and bearing nut and roll the whole wheel set and hub assembly off as one unit, saves alot of time and labor.
Fill a large Zipp lock bag up with grease and throw the cleaned bearing in and squeeze around, works pretty well.
Hopefully those diffs don't have water in them.

ke5eua

Any brand will work and synthetic is way exspensive.
If you had a wheel dolly you could skip pulling wheels and just pull the axles (rear) and bearing nut and roll the whole wheel set and hub assembly off as one unit, saves alot of time and labor.
Fill a large Zipp lock bag up with grease and throw the cleaned bearing in and squeeze around, works pretty well.
Hopefully those diffs don't have water in them.
We have that bearing packing tool from tractor supply. It's pretty neat, take clean bearing put in it, put top on and put grease gun on it and pump away. Grease forces into the bearings.

I have ran synthetic oil in all my vehicles and diesels, and I'm a fan of royal purple.

I know it's way more expensive but if I can cut down on the friction and heat and prolong the life of the parts then it's worth it to me.

Plus by the looks of it the truck will be making close to a 2k trip soon.

Towing a truck for jeep to Houston, then being towed to fl, then driven back to jeeps to give back his towbar and back to the house.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to be sinking your truck in the swamp on a regular basis, I would skip the synthetic because you will be doing this all over again. You can probably do three complete conventional services for the cost of one synthetic.

ke5eua

If you are going to be sinking your truck in the swamp on a regular basis, I would skip the synthetic because you will be doing this all over again. You can probably do three complete conventional services for the cost of one synthetic.
No plans on doing that on a regular basis. This was a whoops moment, I was expecting a smooth crossing, not what happened.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Synthetic oil in the transmisson has been know to cause failure in one gear that has no bearing.(I think it is second gear)

ke5eua

Synthetic oil in the transmisson has been know to cause failure in one gear that has no bearing.(I think it is second gear)
Thanks for the warning. I'll just go with 80-90 from tractor supply.

Any thoughts on gear oil additives?

And the socket size, 4" don't think my local autozone carries it, napa?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4-3/8" 8 sided, and a 4-7/8" 8 sided.

Member 319 has them for sale at a great price.

I don't use additives.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks