• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So what, exactly, keeps the turbo pressure of 6.2s at 10 psi??

Wolf.Dose

To my experiance most of the statements above carry a good load of trouth in them. What we have to consider?
The 6.x engines were desigend as normal aspirater´d. the first error was to take the eyhaust gas for the turbo from onla one cylinder bank. And the turbo will not help, if the ip is NOT adjusted for a turbe,so a IP change is required.
For higher alritudes a standard DB28 is nit set. There are settings for hight altitudes availabe (Believe me, I had the Standardine setting list once on hand). As well as the turbo setting, also available fro hight altituedes. And for the na engine everything over 1000 feet is hifgt altitude.
The basic design of the 6.2 l engine can handle more power than the 150 hp, however, the thermodynamics will tell you, Diesel tuning is much different from gas engine tuning. Therefore the Banks turbo is not the most ideal application.
So my conclusion of all these problems is very simple: keep the engine as it is at 150 HP and the therefore given torque. It is a basically 1980's design.
RPM are not so much a problem, if you stay below 3600. For this the engine is designed and will last quit some time. And the engine needs some 500 plus engine hours for brake in or in the M1009 some 80000 miles.
Wolf
14 years with a M1009
Since 2002 with a 6.2 in a M715 (Engine built in 1984 according to the available documentation, got it new out of the box, when I bought it in 1994.)

3dubs

I think what limits the boost is the fact that the banks turbo only is capable of 10 lbs boost. There is no waste gate and no intercooler is needed with that low of boost. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I want to add a turbo for economy at higher elevations, and pulling a load. I see alot of 6.2's that have a turbo and a knock on the bottom end. Will the girdle help with crank breakage?along with block cracking?
Also if the fuel isn't turned up with the addition of the turbo will you get better combustion at higher elevs without appreciably increasing stress on the bottom end? Would heat be more under control? It seems to me that turning up the fuel with the additional air to burn it from the turbo would be the big source of heat under a load.
I have noticed the decrease in power and the additional smoke the engine produces with elev. increase. I would think more air in this situation would promote better burning, more power and
economy and temp would be more in line with lower elev.use.
Thanks
Thanks
Yes the girdle is for the bottom end. That is the whole purpose of the girdle.

Boost with the same fuel will give you more power and fuel economy. The diesel unlike the gas engine ignites from compression not a spark. So the turbo adds more air that aids in combustion plus the increase in pressure aids in combustion. Simply changing the injectors to the 6.5 marine injectors adds more fuel. The increases in air and pressure will allow the extra fuel to burn further increasing power.

An intercooler helps the engine at all levels of boost even with no boost. It cools the air. Cooler air has more air in the same amount of space. If you air your tires up when it is 100 degrees outside what happens when it is snowing. Well when you fill your tires up when it is freezing and then increase the temp it will expand. So if you cool the air going into the engine you will get more air in the cylinder at any pressure. While an intercooler may no be required it will lower engine temps and add more air. The liquid cooled intercooler does not require more air flow and a shorter path to the intake manifold. I could go on and on.

If you do not want to add a turbo that is fine. If you do you need to do lots of research. One of the best places is your local street racers. I found a guy that raced a VW TDI. It was eye opening to see a diesel go fast. But when you increase power you lose longevity. If you want the engine to last leave the power where it is. But if you want power just remember the more power the more you will be working on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks