• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So, what's the one thing you'd change?

aczlan

One other thing I would absolutely love to see is a search function for posts inside of a particular thread. Say I want to know about bed dimensions. I get to the 5 ton and up thread and search in that thread only, not all threads together.Just another thought.
Look at the top of the first post on the page. There is a link there labeled "Search thread" which does what you want.

Aaron Z

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I understand that, Just throwing my thoughts out. But I still believe that a feedback tab would be beneficial. A quick link if you will.
I have no problem with that. But I don't know how to devise a link that you're asking for. (Feedback is under each user's profile, I could make a link that says feedback, but it'd point to the memberlist, which wouldn't show feedback, probably cause more confusion than help) Also, so long as you're using a computer (not tapatalk) you can see their feedback in the left postbit of all their posts.

reaper556

Ok here it goes, this may be a stupid idea but how about a separate forum for general 4x4 vehicles? Myself and I figure a lot of the other forum members have other off road vehicles besides our military iron that we use and enjoy. I figure military 4x4's and the others go hand in hand for some of us. I know there is a great wealth info from our members that could be shared whether your other play toy vehicles are civvy Jeeps, Broncos, Land Rovers or Land Cruisers.

I know there are plenty of other off road forums but none that are civilized like this place.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That has been discussed in the past, even previous 5 tons being split out. The problem is the year or more of labor needed to sort through it. And the lack of manpower to accomplish it.

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but we could start from this point and time and slowly move past stuff if necessary. I do not see a lot of HEMTT and MK or PLS stuff yet. Before it gets all mixed up also, let's start a heavy truck forum. We still know how to search for the older stuff.

Artisan

No need to instantly weed thru the past, but going forward it would be beneficial, FOR SURE.
As time alots, move older threads into it, easy peasie.

I would be happy to forward links to a designated mod to move into an M915 Series Only
Dedicated Forum.

Start with the " Artisan's M916 " thread. What is it up to, pushing 21,000 views?

I would suggest just open it, "it" being " M915 Series Trucks" . Designate a mod
( I am not volunteering but I will assist if needed) and move on. maybe NDT will
Mod it? HA! ( Don't shoot NDT! LOL )

The 20 Tons have no Business mixed into the lil 5 tons....
(PS I own a 5 ton too, totally different animals)

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the hard work you guys already do managing this sight, and excuse me if this has been suggested, I haven't had time to read through all the posts.
I would like to see a definitive collection of the maintenance and improvements of each vehicle.
TM's are very good but they are not the last word in real world applications. Searches only lead to other members opinions (just try and search swapping oil with trans fluid in Allison Automatic)
Ideally I think it could work with a format like Wikipedia where members suggest a truth be added to the manual then it is debated by members until it either remains or is removed.
It might be easier to control if the mods could just remove a post if there is any question of its validity or confusing content without having to give an explanation and closed like a Sticky.
Yes I know it would take a lot of work but the reality is it would reduce a lot of repetition,debate and misinformation which also takes a lot of Moderating. As it matures it would be very valuable and might even incorporate or replace whole threads like the mods and hot rodding with a comprehensive guide.
Oh yes BTW I follow the TM's on my Allison.
Thanks again to the Moderators for all your efforts

Last edited:

Bhpdbrad

A "How-To' / Tips Thread - with video links - is a great way to learn how to do a lot of different maintenance and/or mods that just reading TMs don't convey all the time or are not easily searchable.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for all the hard work you guys already do managing this sight, and excuse me if this has been suggested, I haven't had time to read through all the posts.
I would like to see a definitive collection of the maintenance and improvements of each vehicle.
TM's are very good but they are not the last word in real world applications. Searches only lead to other members opinions (just try and search swapping oil with trans fluid in Allison Automatic)
Ideally I think it could work with a format like Wikipedia where members suggest a truth be added to the manual then it is debated by members until it either remains or is removed.
It might be easier to control if the mods could just remove a post if there is any question of its validity or confusing content without having to give an explanation and closed like a Sticky.
Yes I know it would take a lot of work but the reality is it would reduce a lot of repetition,debate and misinformation which also takes a lot of Moderating. As it matures it would be very valuable and might even incorporate or replace whole threads like the mods and hot rodding with a comprehensive guide.
Oh yes BTW I follow the TM's on my Allison.
Thanks again to the Moderators for all your efforts
I'm not entirely sure how that can be accomplished, by your own admission, threads are filled with member opinions of repairs. Trying to make a "definitive" thread would have to have some opinion of it's own.

As to letting it be an open forum allowing anyone to edit things, well, sorry, no, we will not go there. (It's nothing against you or your thought, just previous history shows it's not a good idea)

A "How-To' / Tips Thread - with video links - is a great way to learn how to do a lot of different maintenance and/or mods that just reading TMs don't convey all the time or are not easily searchable.
If someone were to start a thread for specific vehicles, I'd have no problem sticking it. We can then edit the first post to include any new links other members add.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just my 2 cents. as a paid member the limit on browsing is quit annoying. Waiting 60 seconds to search again.
Please try my (and others) browsing habits, hit the new search button and right click any links of interest. It's actually not limited to just paid members, but anyone and everyone. I've been working on optimizing things, it had been set to 90. But I did dial it down to 50 seconds now. Eventually it will be dialed down to around 30 seconds.

tucker79

I would also love if the M939s had there own section. I find it very difficult to search now a days because of all the newer 5 ton threads. I have to scroll thru to find 1 or 2 on the older models. Please let me know if there is a way to search only the M809 n older I don't know about
Thanks for everything

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

71DeuceAK

Agreed! Maybe instead of just 5 ton up have something like:
M939
M809/M39

Then a larger than 5 ton section (HEMTT, HET, USMC 7 ton, etc). The M939s are so popular and for our hobby's purposes are just now "current issue" so I say why not too!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
196 posts, then dormant for 6 months then alive again now.
How about a mechanism that says ones' MOV upload is just to #*~!#^* big instead of it having little wheel going around for a long time, then doing nothing and NOT uploading. What is the limit of MOV upload that is best for the site? I know, probably zero, but I have to ask. This is the place to ask.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
196 posts, then dormant for 6 months then alive again now.
How about a mechanism that says ones' MOV upload is just to #*~!#^* big instead of it having little wheel going around for a long time, then doing nothing and NOT uploading. What is the limit of MOV upload that is best for the site? I know, probably zero, but I have to ask. This is the place to ask.
Actually I'm going to reverse the upload limits soon to tiny video files. Just load them on youtube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks