• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who outbid me? (eBay, 11/9/2010)

maynard83

I'm with 3dubs and combat jump on this. I am willing to pay a premium for these trucks and If I were to ever sell my M1010, it would never be even close to what I paid for it, aside from all the work and effort I have so far put into it, it is pretty rare to get one of these anymore. Besides, most of us here do not have a "Shop" with all the tools and niceties and/or help and knowledge to take a $1500 dollar wreck with flat tires, no batteries, body damage, bent driveshafts, missing engine parts, bent axles, broken lights, etc and make it driveable AND safe.
Say what you will of the guy but he does put a lot of effort and money in the vehicles he sells and like it was mentioned before, he is selling off e-bay which is notoriously anti-seller so he better be selling what he represents. He also puts NO RESERVE on his auctions and allows the market to dictate the price so I have no idea what some of you have your panties all up in a bunch about. This, fellow members, is called Capitalism. His seller rating is also 100% Positive.
The same lot who B*&^% and moan about GL (and with good reason) are complaining about this guy. If you don't like it than don't buy it. I suppose some people are never satisfied.

lavarok

Say what you will of the guy but he does put a lot of effort and money in the vehicles he sells

How do you know? Not that it is a point I am trying to make, just curious.

--

I believe wholeheartedly in capitalism. Anyone that reads any of my Craigslist or Ebay ads will vouch for that. I expect to make money on investments. Personally, I was not questioning the price. In fact, it reassures me that what I think my M1008 is worth is about right. Seeing items sell for high prices makes me happy. I am quite invested.

My only concern with this guy is the representation made in the photos. I think the black paint is used as a mask to cover up items. Maybe I am wrong, without seeing something first hand I can't say for sure and even then it might be hard.

Covering an engine compartment in black paint just makes me wonder and wonder and wonder some more what that compartment looked like before the paint job. Alot can be learned when looking under the hood of a vehicle and seeing the condition of the block, heads, etc. 2cents

maynard83

How do you know? Not that it is a point I am trying to make, just curious.

You don't know and neither do I. But with e-bay you have the option of asking him those and any questions or concerns you may have through their system and he is obligated to answer them truthfully. He also explains in his postings what he has done to his vehicles, which is why his listings are so darn long. Plus he puts tons of pictures.
And unlike GL, you have recourse if he misrepresents his auction.

2deuce

I haven't watched ebay in a long time, what does a rough body/interior, but rust free running M1008 go for? I also wonder how often the sale falls through with a deadbeat bidder? I sometimes think the owners bid their own stuff up, so no reserve means little. I guess I reminded myself why I don't go there.

maynard83

I sometimes think the owners bid their own stuff up, so no reserve means little. I guess I reminded myself why I don't go there.
Trust me, e-bay tracks that sort of stuff very carefully and has no mercy.

I sell on e-bay and have tons of deadbeat bidders/buyers for items as little as $10.00

2deuce

I don't think ebay can keep track if your friends and relatives bid your no reserve stuff up for you. I just think if its possible, it's probable.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldnt touch any of those trucks from him, not anything personal. Just I like to see what im truly getting..with all the rust, dents, and dings included. Better see it now and take care of it then drive within question. 2cents

bratpackdad

I went out there, inspected and drove one. I did NOT buy it for a reason.
Paint hides alot from the camera. Buyer beware. If you buy one
be prepared to spend alot of time and money fixing hidden issues.2cents

flyxpl

I like the way he claims they are sandblasted , he posts a gobs of pics and yet no pics of them being sandblasted . By the good high qaulity pics that he posted you can clearly see that old paint has been painted over . It also seems to me that the tires are painted the same flat black as the rest of the undercariage . Thier is no way this guy can take the time to do it right and put them up for sale as fast as he does . I will not knock the guy for doing it , if he can find someone to pay way to much for a misrepresented product I geuss thats ok . I whish I had could take advantage of people like that . My problem is something called PRIDE and workmanship . I do it right or I just don't do it .

flyxpl

He could of had a deadbeat bidder and had to relist the item .

After loooking at the craigslist add I think you may be right . Why would the guy only post two pics when he usually post several pics .

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NO posting of current eBay or CL listing links(unless they are your own item and being discussed).

combat jump

I thought about that... Except the CL ad is posted in Modesto - 200 miles from where the truck was listed on eBay in San Juan Capistrano. Thinking the ad was legit at first, I replied with my phone numbers. No reply or call. When I noticed the photos matched the eBay ad, I emailed him asking "what's going on?". Again, no answer.

I'll email the eBay vendor to ask if the truck actually sold.

Doghead: I removed the link to the active CL listing. Sorry.

Last edited:

combat jump

Just got a reply from the eBay vendor. He said "That is definitely my pictures and my description so for sure it is a scam."
He told me he DID sell it, received full payment, and put it on a truck to Colorado on 11/18/01. He said he will put a flag on the CL ad as a fraud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks