• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So you want a cheap GL Deuce....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you think you want to buy a cheap GL Deuce and drive it home?

You looked at the pictures and thought it wasn't too bad and with a little TCL it would be a great truck. You even liked the Dual Master Cylinder.

A word from the wise. HAVE A BACKUP PLAN!!!

I bought a 1987 Air Force Dropside recently. I paid $1600 plus fees. It was only 7 miles from the shop. It only has 14K miles.

A few parts where missing in the pictures but nothing that I didn't already have as a spare. Fuel pump, starter, headlight, hood, etc.

Made arrangements to flat tow it back to the shop with a M915. Not a problem right?

Got to the GL yard and the GL rep asked how I was getting it home. Flat tow was the response. He laughed and asked if I previewed it. Nope just the pictures. (I have recovered many trucks and know what to look and plan for)

He asked if I knew the steering was not hooked up? Nope didn't plan for that one. And then he said the truck was wrecked. The pictures didn't show that either.......now I'm a little concerned and may have to reschedule.

Go out to the truck and it has some issues.

No steering - check - it is hooked up but the steering box is shot.

Wrecked - check - the front bumper is smashed pretty good . Shouldn't be an issue. Hopefull it will track right for 7 miles. Take it for a spin around the GL yard to make sure.

Start buttoning every thing up. Hey whats wrong with the rear axles????

They are out of alignment. Maybe the dogbones are busted. Nope

Look some more. HOLLY CR*P. The frames bent. Looks like I screwed the pooch on this one. (not really as it will be a parts truck)

Take a look at the last two pictures.

Lucky I was some what prepared for the recovery and didn't fly across the counrty and try to drive it home.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow.

So boys and girls. Some times you win and sometimes you loose. If life hands you a lemon just make lemonade!!!

Thanks M813A1 and M1075 for your assistance.

Attachments

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the GL rep laughs at you, you know it's gonna be a long day.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear about your luck. If you were only 7 miles from it why didn't you preview it? I drive farther than that to go to walmart. At least you will make money form parting and scraping it.

For the price I was willing to pay, I bought it as a parts truck. I have looked at enough trucks and pictures to catch and plan for 95% of the issues.

Just trying to help some of the newbies think before they leap.

Last edited:

Bighurt

For that price you got a good parts truck.

I agree, I've made the same mistake, I think we all do. At least you were prepared.

zout

I for one got Wathogs master plan and a very great example of getting to the site and having your entire day set back. Even though he planned for the worse - it indeed got worse.

Someone that might be saved from thinking they could have driven something close to this down the road - and then attempting it - was a great example.

And this fella is a Master GURU of MV's and still set him back a step.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man Joe I was excited for a second I thought you were going to have a Deuce :p
Oh well. At least you go some good parts. [thumbzup]
I have all the parts, even a spare frame. Just need to put them all together.

Maybe a Deuce wrenching day. Too bad you are out of state.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove a mason dump with a frame like that and man that thing would make an awesome right turn.[thumbzup] That truck is definately worth that money.

spicergear

Too bad you're not closer I'd make and offer on that dropside. :mrgreen:

Anyone near central PA with a dropside at a good price? I'm interested possibly even without sides...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know how you feel. I bought a M50 tanker a little while back that turned out having a blown engine. Like you, I figured "parts truck" before I ever bid. If it turns out you got a good truck you score big, if not it's not the end of the world.

Also, any time you see parts missing off a GL truck you have to figure there's a reason they started cannibalizing it.

Katahdin

With the damage and that turning problem you should name your new truck "Bismarck."

If my brother didn't happen to be on base to inspect my truck the day before the auction I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten into this madness. Even with the inspection and the fact he was able to start the truck, on its own in the GL lot, I'm glad I had it flat bedded home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks