• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So you want to go faster?

The TM for installing the split brake system is in the resources section. It uses 2 air packs and a dual master cylinder.;-)
I knew id scene it somewhere! If there is enough market for it maybe I can team up Mike of OD Iron see if he maybe wants to offer a it as a kit. There are several mods I think alot of people would do, if only all the parts and brakets were already made up.

armytruck63

I too wonder if a stock deuce has enough power for this drastic ratio change. I would think you would be in fourth gear much more often with fifth reserved for downhills and tailwinds. You would definitely slow down at the slightest incline.

yeager1

Two quick points:
1. For that money you could find an auxiliary overdrive and have both standard and overdrive gears, Plus much needed gear splitting capabilities. You would need to spend some money on shafts and such, but the 4.90 gears don't install themselves either. Total price would (could?) be similar to a used overdrive.
If you want a 70 MPH deuce you better think about some 70 MPH brakes to go with it.
Running over a Honda that cuts in front of you and slams on the brakes can ruin your day.
If brakes and gears are a major concern, get 5 ton axles. Slightly better gears, WAY better brakes. Disc brakes for deuces are expensive!! You could do 5 ton axles and an overdrive for the cost of 4.90 gears and discs!!! And still end up with 10 speeds, great brakes and you would never break them!

fulleraviation

Hey Guy's:

I have a Bobbed Duce w/ Turbo running good with Michelin 14x20's at 49" Tall. I can only run 62 mph at 2200rpm or so flat ground. It will not pull any more. Granted I have 40psi in the tires, but my point is wether or not a small tire Duce could run the ratio and not lug everywhere.

Second: BBF why cant you stay in your lane? If you have slop in the steering you can take it up by turning the adjuster screw on the side of the steering box. There is a lock nut to loosen then a common screwdriver adjuster. Clockwise will tighten. It doesn't take much.

My tires are whopped (cupped and wore out) It hoops pretty good but I have no trouble staying in my lane.

Good Luck,
Rutledge

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think i have enough engine power to pull these gears. Turning up the fuel rate does wonders. But running that fast with ND's doesen't seem like a good idea. I'd have to get a set of road tires. And if you load your truck and work it. You would probally need low range to get rolling. Gears in the high 5's or low 6's sounds more reasonable.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I really like OEM's products (quality stuff from a top notch business), but I wouldn't even consider putting these in a deuce unless it's engine had been swapped for one that topped out at or below 2000rpm. These gears sound awesome for a buggy on rockwells with a stak or an atlas.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
this is why my od gear set is better than adding higher ratio to the diffs or taller tires. all gears are the same except for 5th. 65 mph is no problem and average hills don't make much difference with the fuel turned up.

many of you have hit on good ideas, i have dual air over hyd brakes with controller from nissan box truck (UD), air assist hyd actuated clutch, 14.5R20 michelin XL tires, hyd power steering. .69 od gear set prototype with govenor speed set to 2550 rpm. 2500 rpm in 5th is 67 mph and you end up passing more often than not on the interstate.

tom

Last edited:

area52

I too would like to upgrade to different gears, better brakes, power steering etc. but look at the costs for all this. Might be better to go find a medium duty truck and swap bodies with a deuce?

spicergear

There's another brake option around but you'll have to figure out how to put the pump onto the multifuel or find out flow & pressure rates and if they're comparable. I have a 1160 CAT (pre 3208 but about the same) and used a Hydro-Max system. It's rated to 43,000 GVW, which obviously covers the deuce trucks, is a split system thought I didn't set it up that way because I did not want to put in a proportioning valve in the system, etc. It just flat works GREAT. My deuce is 18,000 lbs and towbarring a factory winch truck puts me around 32,000...it stopped exactly how, when, and in whatever distance I wanted it to. This is straight hydraulic with no air assist.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-...e-assist-pics-added-long-read.html#post159453

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
these ratios would suck. 60 mph would only be 2000 rpm = no power, no off road capabilities. these are meant for the hill climing crowd with 600 hp

nhdiesel

I don't really want to start a new thread for this question, didn't find it in the search, and it fits in here....

Anyone put an aux. trans in a Deuce yet? I don't have mine home yet, so I can't look at the room available, but I have a medium duty 3-speed Spicer aux. trans: under, direct, and over drives. I think this would be great for a Deuce that is to be used on the road a fair amount.

Jim

fireman_316

my question is do you want a speed truck or a pulling truck of ya want a speed truck deuce is not for you if you want a truck that will pull the gates off of hell and dont matter how fast you get there then the deuce is right for you

nhdiesel

With a 3-speeds aux., it would do all fairly well (O.K., still not a speed truck, but better than stock). Low-low would be way lower than stock; direct, and you have a stock Deuce...and in OD, you drop the revs a bit on the highway. I- like many owners- know the truck will never cruise at 80, but dropping the revs a little and being able to do 60-65 on the highway so we don't get angry drivers stuck behind us would be nice. Again- not that my truck would live on the highway- but even those occasional trips of an hour or so would be nice not to have to run on the governor.

Jim

Jake0147

Anyone put an aux. trans in a Deuce yet?

Jim

Yes, one of the gun truck replicas has one installed, with pics. You might try searching that particular forum. No shifter, it's just set in overdrive and left there. That means that obviously they were building a highway only truck, which is good because the driveshaft to the forward rear was exceptionally short, with not enough room for enough slip joint to accomodate the full suspension travel.

nhdiesel

I was at beaubeau's today and crawled under one of his Deuces, and I can see where space is an issue. When I have a Deuce that I can keep for my very own (unlike the ones I have to sell first so I can BUY my own), I'll look into it further. Of course I have other decisions to make first...bob or not, singles or duals, color (original Marine Corps Vietnam-era is the winner so far), and more...

Jim

Westex

At Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, they had turbine powered generators. I really gave consideration to just gutting out the turbines and bolting them to the bed of my Deuce for a little afterburner affect. OOrah

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks