• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SoCal 2016 Summer Rally Aug, 5-7 Big Bear California San Bernardino Mtns. camping

JDToumanian

Hmmm, a convoy right past my house will be hard to resist... What is the dirt road like? I've never been that way. I don't do camping anymore, I just don't enjoy 'the outdoors' where there are bugs and where there is not a soft, orthopedic bed and climate control, but I may be up to joining in on the convoy and hanging out for a few hours if the road isn't too rough for the HEMTT. I'm not worried about it getting stuck, I'm worried about rocks chunking up $8000 worth of tires. Hairpin turns would also get annoying real fast... The HEMTT has the length and turning circle of a school bus.

Jon

JDToumanian

Actually, if I went to my local Michelin truck tire dealer and ordered them brand new, paid disposal fees, taxes, and installation, the cost would be well over $16,000. A set of 8 good used surplus take-offs would be around $4000. Fortunately my truck had a brand new zero-mile set of tires when I got it, but I am paranoid about ruining them.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dry rot from the HEMTT sitting in the driveway is probably more dangerous to the tires than a little road trip!

I should note that my truck sat for about a year and I had to replace 3 tires that were too badly cracked, the heat out here kills everything!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Actually, if I went to my local Michelin truck tire dealer and ordered them brand new, paid disposal fees, taxes, and installation, the cost would be well over $16,000. A set of 8 good used surplus take-offs would be around $4000. Fortunately my truck had a brand new zero-mile set of tires when I got it, but I am paranoid about ruining them.
That's not paranoia (that's a lot of coconuts); that's calm reason and pure logic kicking in. [thumbzup]:beer:

JDToumanian

I know this doesn't cover all of the trails but most are no more extreme than this vid. There is 1 turn that is kind of tight from what I remember, had to make it a 3 pointer in my 818
Road up from the desert is mostly sand-dirt and not too rocky.
Perfect. Thanks for the info... I'm definitely going to try to make it, though I might have to work that Friday afternoon so I may have to bug out pretty early. I never know though, my schedule changes often, so I may end up with that day off.

Dry rot from the HEMTT sitting in the driveway is probably more dangerous to the tires than a little road trip!
I use Miller Tire Paint... That's how you protect tractor or equipment tires, so they don't rot out before you wear them out. My deuce tires have been on since 2007 with Miller Tire Paint applied about once a year or so and they are still perfect. It makes them look great too!

Jon

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Miller Tire Paint... That's how you protect tractor or equipment tires, so they don't rot out before you wear them out. My deuce tires have been on since 2007 with Miller Tire Paint applied about once a year or so and they are still perfect. It makes them look great too!

Jon
I will have to look into that, not sure if it could protect from the heat out here, but if it would even help a little bit I might consider going to super singles, just not willing to do that when the heat can destroy tires here so fast on a vehicle that doesn't get as much use as I'd like.

Another Ahab

Jon
I never heard of that product. So it's more than just a tire 'dressing"; actually a rubber preservative?

JDToumanian

I never heard of that product. So it's more than just a tire 'dressing"; actually a rubber preservative?
Yeah, great stuff. Made by Miller Tire Company, I discovered it back when I bought my deuce tires because I was looking for a true preservative / protectant for tires, not something just to shine them up. It smells like latex paint but it's more than that... When it dries it's stretchy like a rubber party balloon. Comes in a plastic tub, it's black, kinda thick like grease, you dilute it with water (I can't remember, maybe 4 parts water to 1 part paint). It can be sprayed on or brushed. I always brushed the deuce tires, usually jack up the wheel and rotate it as I brush it on, but I'll probably spray the HEMTT tires because I want to coat the tread too... HEMTT tires like to crack down between the tread lugs.

Jon

Gripy

Who I understand will be there.
Gripy
Blendmaster
ProspectorGM
Fastnova
True Knight
SaltyDeuce
Leo 4x4

Bad_Carp
Novacainefix
cycletek
At least 10 who should be there.

As last year I will bring burgers and hot dogs to help with dinner on Friday evening.

Blendmaster; Do we have running water this year and are campfires going to be allowed?

We usually use CB ch5 so, I assume we will use this channel again.

SO, close I can feel it!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks