• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top anyone?

jw4x4

I have seen them in person, they are super nice. I have wanted one ever since I got my 1009. Can't locate one used, and refuse to pay the price for a new one.

res0wc18

Ive seen their truck canopy's and they are super nice. I dont think 800 is too much for an american made quality top. Look at what jeep soft tops cost. This is much larger.

85CUCVtom

$800 is not a bad price. You spending $600 on a nice Jeep top.

I'm absolutely getting one. It's been on my radar for a while. When you get it installed, please post a lot of pictures. Especially of the mounting. I don't think a lot of people people have seen them up close.

Have fun!

lavarok

The only problem I had with mine was that the windows clouded up a bit over time. Other than that, it was a cool option and made driving around without AC much more comfortable in the FL heat.

Last edited:

lavarok

Ah I see. So, in your opinion, would you get the tinted windows now? Just kinda gathering opinions.
If it was a free option yes, if extra I'd have to think about cost vs. benefit. Tinted windows are nice, but if your going to be rolling up the sides, what would it matter?

Whitfield

Tint is nice until you got to perform night maneuvers, Then things get complicated.

Often times the cloudy window syndrome is due to the cleaner used. Having had a Fleet of 5+ Samurai Jeeps for 20 yrs, the wrong cleaner, gas station window cleaner, or windex just one time and they will cloud almost instantly.

ajsmith184

Ive completely gone through my blazer.....Have to say, hands down, the best mod ive done has been the softtopper. It completely transforms the truck, more than I even thought it would.
$800 is a lot...But remember this..You can discard the rear window and crappy mechanism..No more sliding rear window...No rattle, leaking seals, etc...That alone is worth a few hundred $....Plus the truck feels much lighter....and road noise isn't any worse.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/hillbillypimpin/softtop_zps5e258b50.jpg

rsh4364

I really want one, but drive my 85 1009 year round,do you think they would hold up in Ohio winters ? And if I can get rid of rear glass and regulator Icould weld in a recessed license plate mount ,wheels turning now!

Last edited:

85CUCVtom

I really want one, but drive my 85 1009 year round,do you think they would hold up in Ohio winters ? And if I can get rid of rear glass and regulator Icould weld in a recessed license plate mount ,wheels turning now!
I think it would be fine. I've had two Jeeps, both with soft tops and they really aren't that bad in the winter.

If everything keeps going as planned. Ill be picking one of these up in the next couple months. I plan on writing a detailed review and step by step install.

edpdx

I thought about these as well; but I ended up seeing more cons than pros- for me. Security being the biggest concern. Though we all know if someone wants whats inside bad enough, they will get in, having a top that can be breached with a knife slice doesn't work for me.

I feel that having all original looking exterior can be somewhat of a deterrence by itself. But I do like the concept and look of these.2cents

85CUCVtom

I feel that having all original looking exterior can be somewhat of a deterrence by itself. But I do like the concept and look of these.2cents
I agree. Keeping the outside as original looking as possible helps. Tons of cool modifications, antennas and lights everywhere, etc. etc. just scream look at me.

ajsmith184

I thought about these as well; but I ended up seeing more cons than pros- for me. Security being the biggest concern. Though we all know if someone wants whats inside bad enough, they will get in, having a top that can be breached with a knife slice doesn't work for me.

The back window unzips, no need for a knife :D

That said, the stock M1009 has a window to get in the back from the factory..Moot point, at least to me.

As for snow, it'll be fine for anything you get in the midwest..If you get a food of wet slush brush it off, otherwise this thing is VERY sturdy.

As for looks, that's all subjective. Most who approach me think it's a canvas top from the military....They obvious miss the big SOFTOPPER.COM emblem sewed into each side and the back aua Local seamstress is my wifes friend and is going to remove this for me.

rsh4364

ajsmith184, how hard do you think it would be to add a roll bar type system to support a couple canoes using the soft-topper? Im thinking the canoe system would have to be movable not fixed.Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks