• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer

m35a2cowner

What is the average voltage, at the battery, of a vehicle equipped with a Solagizer? Mine is sitting for the winter and the voltage at the battery is 24.9 volts (sun was out). That is about what it was when I put the Soligizer on about 3 months ago. Is this about normal?
Before I put it on it put out about 30 volts when not connected to a battery and in direct sunlight. Thanks

ida34

The are designed to desulfate the plates more than charge the batteries. Don't know what voltage is normal but I could check my deuce if need be and get back to you.

m35a2cowner

Soligizer

You know your right, I forgot about that but once you mentioned it it came back to me. Still....if you happen to be going by yours with a volt meter it would be interesting to know.
Thanks

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Soligizer

The solargizer's output like any charging system, may rise quite a bit with no load except a sensitivie voltmeter. It would be interesting to know the DC current in milliamps going into the battery from the solargizer That current will determine how close to 'good' your 24.9V voltage is.

For flooded lead acid batteries, this table is good to tell if the steady voltage is correct and also what the specific gravity should be.

The table is used by disconnecteng the charger and any battery load for 5 hours or more, and checking.

No one's reported anything but good results from solargizers, so you are likely fine.

Attachments

ida34

Re: Soligizer

m35a2cowner said:
You know your right, I forgot about that but once you mentioned it it came back to me. Still....if you happen to be going by yours with a volt meter it would be interesting to know.
Thanks
I will be outside working on stuff tommarow. I will try to remember to check for you.

Chuck

EAdams

Wow... I need to snag one of these.... they keep the batteries charged and de-sulphate the plates???

Who sells these and I only need 1 right?? Cost?

ida34

Check Teds Trucks or do a search for contact information. He is selling some solargizers that got wet. One of mine had a little corrosion but not to bad. I think they were $15 or $20. I got a couple at that price. If you go ebay they go for about $75 the last time I checked. The military ones are 24 volt but solargizer makes them for all sorts of stuff so make sure you get the 24 volt model. One will go all the batteries on a 24 volt set up. They were so cheap through teds that I got some for my gen sets also.

houdel

The Solargizer is at best a trickle charger. It will NOT recharge a dead battery in any reasonable period of time, but it WILL keep charged and normally cycled batteries at full charge (assuming enough sunlight for it to operate as designed). There is (at least on mine) a small red LED to indicate if the solargizer is operating. If the LED is glowing, the solargizer SHOULD be functioning. I leave my Deuce (parked outside) facing south to assure the solar panel receives as much sunlight as possible. There are also 110V solargizers available for vehicles parked indoors which do not receive enough direct sunlight to operate off the solar panel.

IMHO, the greatest advantage of the solargizer is NOT the trickle charge, it is the de-sulphation process provided by the solargizer. In addition to the trickle charge, the solargizer also applies a pulsed DC current to the battery(ies). This pulsed charge works to prevent sulphation buildup by removing the sulfate deposits from the plates through a unique Ion Transfer process. The lead sulfates then return to the battery acid as active electrolyte. When connected on a regular basis, the solargizer battery maintenance systems will also keep the sulfates from building up again. For more information, see the solargizer website below.

http://www.pulsetech.com/

yorkgulch2

I have one of Teds $15 Solargizers on my m35. With new batteries and an isolator it is holding at 25.47 v. I am planning on adding a second solargizer and continuing to monitor it this winter.

JDToumanian

If the LED is glowing, the solargizer SHOULD be functioning.
I've noticed that the LED just barely glows on mine. Even with the unit installed under the pass. seat, it's hard to see it's working unless I shade the LED with my hand. I have four Solargizers, and I've checked two of them (yes, connected correctly)... same result. In fact, if the solar panel isn't in bright sunlight, the LED can't be seen to glow at all. Clearly these are very low power units, but since we've been getting them so cheaply and considering that they have been submerged in salt water (All 4 of mine from Ted's had a distinct sea-water smell when unpackaged), I do wonder if they're working correctly. Anyone know how to troubleshoot these?

Jon

1956_4x4

Pulsetech is now putting out Solargizers that are also battery chargers in addition to the regular conditioners. They only put out a few watts, but they will keep the battery fully charged over a very long period. I went ahead and bought a Pulse Charger World Version a few years ago. It is really one of the best chargers I have run across. I cycle it through each of my batteries about twice a year.

Smitty

houdel

cranetruck said:
The solargizer is not a charger.
Not exactly correct. PulseTech advertises their devices as "Battery Maintenance Chargers". They are essentially trickle chargers with pulse technology to condition the batteries. While they do not have the power to recharge a fully discharged battery (at least not in a reasonable amount of time), they will "top off" a partially discharged battery and, assuming the batteries are in decent condition, keep them peaked off.

http://www.pulsetech.com/

CycleJay

Hey Guys,

I just went to the pulsetech website, and found the 24 volt solargizer listed at $519.95!

Can you provide a link to this Ted's place, so I can check out these $15.00 solargizers?

Thank you,

CJ

Last edited:

Spook556

Cycle Jay -

Please note that the thread you resurrected was from 2007. And the batch of Solargizers was a specific, possibly damaged surplus batch - limited quantity, sold fairly quickly.

Here is a link to his eBay stuff - I note he has the new ones on there at $70.00, no salt corrosion mentioned. LinkHERE

He also has some things listed through Rock And Dirt: NextLINK but I didn't see any Solargizers.

Good luck with your hunting!

Spook556

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks